Motorola Droid 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jty206

Reaction score
I believe rkeller62 has it right. I had a BB device prior to my Droid. A new OS was issued by BB and Big Red refused to release it for about 9 months. They claimed that the new firmware was being tested. It took all of an hour to find it in the forums and download it myself. That was a few years ago but I'm willing to bet they have not changed their MO.
From VZW's point of view, I guess it's protecting the brand.

hacku

Reaction score
Here is the funny part. Everyone is crying about the update not being here and pissed off that they're not pushing it out yet.

As soon as the update comes out, 99% of those same people will be crying about how bad the update sucks and how it should have been better... lol

Last edited:

audioman42

Reaction score
I believe rkeller62 has it right. I had a BB device prior to my Droid. A new OS was issued by BB and Big Red refused to release it for about 9 months. They claimed that the new firmware was being tested. It took all of an hour to find it in the forums and download it myself. That was a few years ago but I'm willing to bet they have not changed their MO.
...by holding updates?

bigthinker

Reaction score
Here is the funny part. Everyone is crying about the update not being here and pissed off that they're not pushing it out yet.

As soon as the update comes out, 99% of those same people will be crying about how bad the update sucks and how it should have been better... lol
You Got That Right!!!

jty206

Reaction score
...by holding updates?

Not withholding updates, making very sure that the update is correct when it does come out. Keep in mind that from VZW's point of view, the date of the release is not relevant. It will come out, but not until Verizon's engineers are satisfied that there will be no repercussions like bricked phones or other problems that will keep their sales people from selling phones and plans. That's what's important to them, not whether the devise freaks are happy.
VZW runs a business. If the 2.1 update comes out at a time you (and me and a whole lot of other people) are happy with, it is pure coincidence.
They certainly do not need an update for a brand new devise from a non-stellar manufacturer with an unproven (to them) OS that causes a boatload of complaints from the 90% of Droid buyers who don't read the forums. Imagine if 2.1 comes out and bricks 200,000 phones. Would that effect VZW's stock?
We don't run their business, we just complain about it.
And hey! it's FUN1

ptfd13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
Perfectly fine, fanboy?

So you have some rare Droid that doesn't have horrible browser scrolling, random force-closes when simply answering the phone, and a worthless camera?

Some of us aren't looking for cosmetics, but basic and major fixes.
You better take it back, I'm not having any of those problems.

Me either. I am on my second Droid. It started rebooting one day in the afternoon. After removing apps and trying to see if it was something I had done I called up, got no joy, had them enter it on my record and went to a store where they handed me a replacement within 10 minutes. It is one thing if a feature isn't there yet like voice bluethooth or flash. It's another if it is just plain broke.

My phone works great. No browser scrolling problems, only force closes with some apps not the OS itself. Also, my camera seems to be awesome all the time. Every picture turns out great as long as I don't get my finger in the way. Phone is amazing.

djstarion

Reaction score
The device works perfectly fine as it is,

Perfectly fine, fanboy?

So you have some rare Droid that doesn't have horrible browser scrolling, random force-closes when simply answering the phone, and a worthless camera?

Some of us aren't looking for cosmetics, but basic and major fixes.
Mine works perfectly fine.

If yours works so bad, why don't you exchange it?

Reaction score
Here is how I see it. You paid for this phone? You deserve quality customer support, and quality system support.

If people want to complain over Motorola's lack of tact regarding this update, etc... they have every right to. When the update comes out, and some complain about it, they have every right to. Its called opinion. I don't know what Droid Utopia world some of you live in where people are blind, deaf, and mute to the truth, and everything is one way, and that is the right way. Its ridiculous at this forum. I'm not sure if this forum has more fanboys than Mac Rumors. I'm not sure.

But then again, those who live in a Utopia world over a phone, are the same ones whom will most likely not have a girl in their life, and/or will never grow up.

Truth is Motorola has shown some lackluster customer support, and the rumors are hand over fist.

Please, give your opinions about the update as much as you like. Its all opinion.

EmmVeePee

Reaction score
To add onto that...

Demanding "more" from corporations helps us. If you're just going to sit back and do nothing, you're really only adding to the problem. By "whining and complaining" - we're putting pressure on them. They're learning their limits on how far they can push us. It's a bit of a reality check.

Are they losing sleep over it? No. But I like to think that all of this ruckus is putting some pressure on them. Hopefully... transparency.

Last edited by a moderator:

lordegregious

Reaction score
Well this thread has gone to hell but I'm glad for tomorrow. The update will either come out or they'll at least clarify what happened to it.

As far as the updates and what not, I think it's current problem among all technologies. If you take a look at many of the first blu ray players or even some of the current low end ones, they get zero updates and therefore become obsolete very quickly. Even the PS3 has suffered from updating issues. They have released numerous updates, many seemingly unnecessary, that have produced more problems than fixed. If your PS3 becomes unresponsive then you're out of video games for awhile, if your Droid becomes unstable your whole life can be jeopardized.

The biggest problem with this update against other technology updates, is that we knew the basic framework was all done already as seen with the Nexus One. However I can understand all the test work that Motorola wants to go into this update so as to not stunt the sales in this important time from launch.

lordegregious

Reaction score
No knowledge but since they said the end of the week I figured they would at least do us a solid and say they fudged up and they're working on it.

Based on what I've read all week, they're still on for the "later in the week", they just had an issue with the patch details going live too early.

rkeller62

Reaction score
I have no problem with you complaining or expressing your opinion. However, the fact that I disagree with you and have a different opinion in no way makes me a fanboy. If there were critical software bugs that made the Droids unusable I would have a completely different attitude. This, however, is almost entirely a feature release with a few minor bug fixes. I prefer they get it right rather than introduce bugs into my otherwise nicely running phone. If that means another week or two without 2.1 then I am okay with that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.