Motorola Droid 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigcap

Reaction score
I don't really get the obsession with 5 screens. Does no one else use folders to organize apps? Or are you guys filling up all that space with widgets? If so, I'm curious if you notice any performance hits because of it.

I don't get it either. By the time you touch the screen to scroll two screens over, well, that's two taps. In one you could have tapped a button and had your app that your looking for on screen 3 and 4, right there. I use Home++ but only end up using 3 screens. I like the interface though - the scroll menu. My phone does get slow every once in a while, perhaps it's home++. I actually dont know how you can tell which app may be slowing down phone when you have 50 loaded.:icon_eek:

EmmVeePee

Reaction score
The Samsung moment is getting bumped to 2.1 this month. Samsung gave a date: February 22.

How sad is that? They even set a date...

MarkO

Reaction score
My educated "guess" 10 days ago was that we would see an upgrade by Sunday Feb 14th. This was based on giving the software guys at VZW a solid week plus to make some tweaks and start the push tonight.
My wife works for VZW in the hardware dept. and they usually do their software/hardware upgrades on Friday nights when traffic is low.

Again, this is not based on anything my wife has told me (she doesn't deal with cell phone software per se), just my own best guess.

Edit:
Just spoke with the wife and explained my theory and she said they usually do software retrofit upgrades at the switch on Friday nights, but that isn't the case with phone software.

Oh well, can always hope. ;)

Last edited:

MrKleen

Reaction score
If this is correct...... WOW. Moto being outperformed by Samsung....You would think Motorola would be able to do something similar. hmmm

The Samsung moment is getting bumped to 2.1 this month. Samsung gave a date: February 22.

Last edited:

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
If this is correct...... WOW. Moto being outperformed by Samsung....You would think Motorola would be able to do something similar. hmmm

When will you folk get it through your thick heads that Verizon is going to delay the update, not Motorola?

Moto cannot make VZW release it.

LrdElderon

Reaction score
If this is correct...... WOW. You would think Motorola would be able to do something similar. hmmm

Well honestly I think they were actually ready to give us the update. I don't think Moto "jumped the gun" at all. I believe the only reason the update was yanked and pushed back was from all the *****ing people were doing at them for not putting in 2.1 launcher and live wallpapers and crap like that.

Anyone that saw how freaking childish people were on the moto facebook page as well as even this site in regards to not having everything that was in the nexus 2.1 rom in our upcoming update should have no problem seeing why moto decided to pull it. I would pull it too if my customers acted like that over, what at the start were unconfirmed rumors from endgadget from unknown or confirmed sources.

Heck reading that poor companies facebook page I fully expected people to start carpooling to their headquarters with pitchforks and torches.... semi joking.. some people are a little over the top :icon_eek:

I also heard rumor that there was indeed a few 2.1 pushes done and it resulted in several supposedly bricked phones? I don't remember where I saw that to confirm anything. It could be people that were running custom roms with ota not blocked for some reason. Perhaps they want a way to OTA regardless of what hacks people have done and push everyone to stock?

We'll just have to wait and see. In the meantime there are plenty of awesome 2.0.1 roms if you are willing to mess with your phone as well as 2.1 roms that work fairly decently, if not entirely stable. Aside from bug fixes and some tweaks there really isn't anything that good in the update that really people need to get so upset. I mean my god people want live wall papers that badly? They look cool but bleh and the 2.1 launcher is ok when it's not buggy, but it's not any better than the one we have on 2.0.1, just different. I actually prefer the old one anyway, aside from it's much much faster.

It will come when it comes, take deep breaths and be patient hahaha.

note that isn't really focused on the person i quoted. it's kind of a blanket statement from observations on various pages, moto facebook, this forum and some others... lots of violent people all over, kinda scary really.

When will you folk get it through your thick heads that Verizon is going to delay the update, not Motorola?

hmm true, but do we know who actually pulled this? moto is just as capable of pulling the update back from verizon if they found a bug or as the case may be a huge mob of angry people screaming at them..... I don't know what if any programming verizon does at all. I think all they do is test and push. Edit2: or could be verizon upper level people saw the mob on motos door and decided ..... hey maybe we should have them add that stuff in. I'm sure vz does not want to deal with that kind of fallout of angry people

Last edited:

davidtaylorjr

Reaction score
Just noticed that Verizon's Droid page has put the word "New" beside the Droid Update link. However the link still takes you to the 2.0.1 software information. This may be nothing but maybe they are in the final stage of getting this update out!

Droid from Verizon Wireless

Reaction score
If this is correct...... WOW. You would think Motorola would be able to do something similar. hmmm

Well honestly I think they were actually ready to give us the update. I don't think Moto "jumped the gun" at all. I believe the only reason the update was yanked and pushed back was from all the *****ing people were doing at them for not putting in 2.1 launcher and live wallpapers and crap like that.

Anyone that saw how freaking childish people were on the moto facebook page as well as even this site in regards to not having everything that was in the nexus 2.1 rom in our upcoming update should have no problem seeing why moto decided to pull it. I would pull it too if my customers acted like that over, what at the start were unconfirmed rumors from endgadget from unknown or confirmed sources.

Heck reading that poor companies facebook page I fully expected people to start carpooling to their headquarters with pitchforks and torches.... semi joking.. some people are a little over the top :icon_eek:

I also heard rumor that there was indeed a few 2.1 pushes done and it resulted in several supposedly bricked phones? I don't remember where I saw that to confirm anything. It could be people that were running custom roms with ota not blocked for some reason. Perhaps they want a way to OTA regardless of what hacks people have done and push everyone to stock?

We'll just have to wait and see. In the meantime there are plenty of awesome 2.0.1 roms if you are willing to mess with your phone as well as 2.1 roms that work fairly decently, if not entirely stable. Aside from bug fixes and some tweaks there really isn't anything that good in the update that really people need to get so upset. I mean my god people want live wall papers that badly? They look cool but bleh and the 2.1 launcher is ok when it's not buggy, but it's not any better than the one we have on 2.0.1, just different. I actually prefer the old one anyway, aside from it's much much faster.

It will come when it comes, take deep breaths and be patient hahaha.

note that isn't really focused on the person i quoted. it's kind of a blanket statement from observations on various pages, moto facebook, this forum and some others... lots of violent people all over, kinda scary really.

hmm true, but do we know who actually pulled this? moto is just as capable of pulling the update back from verizon if they found a bug or as the case may be a huge mob of angry people screaming at them..... I don't know what if any programming verizon does at all. I think all they do is test and push. Edit2: or could be verizon upper level people saw the mob on motos door and decided ..... hey maybe we should have them add that stuff in. I'm sure vz does not want to deal with that kind of fallout of angry people
Your logic is all wrong I think. A large company like moto is not going to punish customers just because of some flaming online. It has not come yet because they guy that they have posting on the facebook page is most likely not a developer for 2.1 so he does really not know what is going on. He is more of a PR guy. I don't know where you have gotten this whole bricking phones idea. People have speculated that they don't want it to be released becuase that could happen. I believe it is close. This matt guy just got a little excited and jumped the gun. He may not know what really is going on. Then again I could be wrong.

Droid101

Reaction score
Did you guys know that 2.2 is already out there and on some phones expected next month? I wounder if 2.2 would be required for flash seeing how adobe had stated some enhancements needed to be released? Any thoughts?

Link for it?

I think he's referring to the HTC Scorpion which doesn't actually exist yet.

Yes and yes it hasn't been confirmed that is exists just that it is possibly in development.
Rumor: HTC Scorpion To Feature 1.5GHz Qualcomm Processor, Android 2.2, And WiMax – SoftSailor

windstrings

Reaction score
I know everyone is forced to speculate with limited info... but somewhere deductive reasoning has to come into play rather than posting every thought that pops in our heads that hasn't been processed yet with the brain.

Its fun to speculate whats in the Christmas present when there are a few clues to go on. But fear overules good reasoning.

2.1 is everywhere now.. and yes its confirmed everywhere as its on other devices already... so yes 2.1 exists and not in development. "just not yet on the Droid"

If it gets "developed" any further I would expect it would be called 2.12 or 2.2 or something higher than 2.1.

The real question is which version are we getting?
They have said "2.1" so I assume thats what they mean. As nice as it would be to assume the delay is for more updates, I fear its due to logistics.. possibly Verizon getting their act together or proofing.
Most of the country "49 of 50 states" have snow and so manpower has been limited lately.... can only speculate if thats part of it.

But cheer up.... I'm positive we are getting an update as its already been promised and confirmed that its promised.... the grey area they won't admit to is "when".... thats ok.. I can respect that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.