Maxx Shutting Off

Claudia

Reaction score
Hello, everyone.

My husband has had his MAXX for about a month. He is in Smart Phone Heaven! or was...
He's been very happy with battery life. He uses it for our business, and unlike me, does not like being attached to a charger (well, I don't either, but I deal with it), anyhow; yesterday afternoon his phone rebooted a couple of times, finally staying on.

Today, it did it again, around the same time. This time, it wouldn't power back on. The Power+Volume Down (or Up) did nothing. We connected to a wall charger and it would turn on, but shut off after a couple minutes. While off the battery charging icon would come on, saying 60%, then flash 70%, and finally 100%. All in less than a minute. It did this everytime we tried turning it on, and then it would shut off. After a couple of hours on the charger it turned on and stayed on. Although he still thinks it's acting funny.

Both times the battery was around 70%.

Before this no other issues. Phone is Rooted, Stock - just some frozen bloatware. I think it's a battery issue??

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
It sounds like it may be the battery meter is not reporting the correct state of charge. The phone is probably really only at 5% charge which is why it keeps turning back off. He definitely wants to get a good charge before he tries to turn it on so it doesn't get so dead that it can't turn on.

He also needs to calibrate the meter so it reports a correct state of charge. Follow these steps:

*with phone powered off, charge it to 100% (you can check the % of charge by pressing the volume button).
*When it reaches 100%, turn phone on, unplug, use your phone without charging it until it gets to the low battery warning (10-15% charge).
*Turn phone off and charge it while off until it reaches 100% again.
*Turn phone on and use it and charge it as you normally would.

OP
C

Claudia

Reaction score
Thank you, Tis.
We left it charging a couple hours last nite, even though it stated 100%. He will use it until 10%, and do as you mention.
Is it advisable to use a battery calibration app?

Sent from my Rooted Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
No, it should not be necessary to use a battery calibration app. Hopefully his phone will be back to normal after he goes through these cycles. Crossing fingers. Keep us posted.

OP
C

Claudia

Reaction score
Sure will. Thanks.

OP
C

Claudia

Reaction score
Today it shut off @ 30%. How will we program it? Or should we just shut it off @ 35%, and then power off and charge?
Really hard to do since he can't afford to miss any calls during the day. :(

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Hi... tonight when you go to bed, power off and charge to 100% .. in the morning, power on, use the phone down to 15% which is low battery warning... hopefully it will be tomorrow night... then power off and charge to 100% overnight...

In the morning power on and use the phone as you would normally... if the issue continues, you may have a dead cell or some other hardware issue.

I'll turn this back over to Tis.

Also.. be SURE you're using the supplied wall charger that came with the device.. that's very very important.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Claudia said:
Today it shut off @ 30%. How will we program it? Or should we just shut it off @ 35%, and then power off and charge?
Really hard to do since he can't afford to miss any calls during the day. :(

Well, you already know it should not be powering down at 30%. Try 94lt1's suggesting and power off and charge overnight (or for several hours... at least 5-6). FoxKat understands the technology of these phones better than anyone but it almost seems like the charge is hitting a bad sector (like old cell batteries hitting a bad cell) but these batteries don't have cells. Hopefully a couple cycles to 100% will fix it.

When you have time, back up your info from the sdcards onto your pc (just to be on the safe side) and backup as if preparing to do a factory data reset. Here's some tips for backing up in this thread ...
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-help/219101-getting-most-success-upgrading-ics-gb.html

If all else fails with getting it to meter accurately, we can try an fdr as a last resort... and we can make sure all info is safe in the meantime.

virgil71468

Reaction score
Fdr and cache wipe fixed wifey poo's

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

*Edit* no it didn't

virgil71468

Reaction score
Try wiping cash vzw lady talked me through it and works fine now. Also kevlar backing has bubbles in it, vzw said may be plastic coating over it, d/k

Droid101

Reaction score
Try wiping cash vzw lady talked me through it and works fine now. Also kevlar backing has bubbles in it, vzw said may be plastic coating over it, d/k

If its the plastic covering that's what is put over the phone during shipping it can be taken off if that is the plastic coating

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

virgil71468

Reaction score
The battery is charging and discharging. It just randomly restarts. Idk why

OP
C

Claudia

Reaction score
Sorry I haven't replied. We had been out of town the last few days.

Anyway, nothing has changed. Even after charging over night a couple of times with the OEM Charger.
When it shuts off, it won't power or stay on without being connected to the charger, even if fully charged.
On Friday, we tried a full phone reset, as suggested by Verizon. Nothing changed. What's next? Sounds more of a hardware issue?
Sucks because we have no warranty on the phone. So any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Claudia, the Maxx is under a year old so it still is under warranty... call Verizon and get a replacement.