New Droid RAZR Maxx!

T

TheAlpha1550

My dad got the new DROID RAZR maxx. And as soon he came home today I offered to set it up:D As soon as he gave it to me, it was at 20% battery. So I shut it off and started charging it via the wall charger. Am I charging it right to "calibrate" the battery to its full potential? If not, what should I do? And what other things can I do to bring the battery to its legendary battery power? Thx in advance.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

Trash Can

Reaction score
First of all, you are calibrating the battery meter. The battery itself does not need calibrating or conditioning.

You're off to a good start. Continue charging with it powered OFF until it reaches 100%. It will take longer than you're used to with the Razr. You can check the charge level with a quick press of the power button. Once fully charged, power ON and use normally until you get the low battery warning at 15%. Power OFF and charge to 100% again. Then you're good to go -- use normally and charge as needed. This procedure should be done every month or two.

I'm sure your dad will enjoy his new toy.

EDIT: It is not necessary to charge to 100% all the time. Small charges of short duration do not harm the battery. In fact, there is evidence that this will prolong battery life.

OP
T

TheAlpha1550

Thank you but not too long after I started charging it off, he told me he needed it to made phone calls -.- and he took it off the charger:p

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
First of all, you are calibrating the battery meter. The battery itself does not need calibrating or conditioning.

You're off to a good start. Continue charging with it powered OFF until it reaches 100%. It will take longer than you're used to with the Razr. You can check the charge level with a quick press of the power button. Once fully charged, power ON and use normally until you get the low battery warning at 15%. Power OFF and charge to 100% again. Then you're good to go -- use normally and charge as needed. This procedure should be done every month or two.

EDIT: It is not necessary to charge to 100% all the time. Small charges of short duration do not harm the battery. In fact, there is evidence that this will prolong battery life.

+1 :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk with speech to text translation. Please excuse any minor grammatical/punctuation/spelling errors.

OP
T

TheAlpha1550

Trash Can said:

OK, he gave it back to me and it was still 20%:D so o shut it off again and charging it again from the AC adaptor again.

Trash Can

Reaction score
OK, he gave it back to me and it was still 20%:D so o shut it off again and charging it again from the AC adaptor again.

Good. Once the calibration cycle is complete, tell your dad to use as normal and charge as needed, but never intentionally kill the battery completely. Not saying bad things will happen, but bad things can happen. The 15% low battery warning is there for a reason.

Earlier you asked about other things you can do to optimize the battery. Nothing different than you do with your Razr. It's the same phone with a larger battery - same radios, software, etc. Enjoy!

OP
T

TheAlpha1550

Trash Can said:
Good. Once the calibration cycle is complete, tell your dad to use as normal and charge as needed, but never intentionally kill the battery completely. Not saying bad things will happen, but bad things can happen. The 15% low battery warning is there for a reason.

Earlier you asked about other things you can do to optimize the battery. Nothing different than you do with your Razr. It's the same phone with a larger battery - same radios, software, etc. Enjoy![t
/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for your help. I envy his phone lol

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

Since you powered it off and started the charging again at 20%, you never actually set the low battery flag (which is set at 15%). This time, let him use it until it reaches 15%, or if he gives it back to you before it gets to 15%, continue using it yourself. It is important that the cycle goes:

1. Charge to 100% with power off,
  2. Drain to 15% (not lower) through normal use,
  3. Charge to 100% with power off,

Just in that order. The first charge to 100% sets the Full battery flag, the discharge to 15% sets the Low battery flag (hence the "Low battery" warning that pops up on the display), and the second charge to 100% confirms the range of charge from 15% to 100% to calibrate the meter properly. If you leave out any one of the three steps, you defeat the entire purpose for doing this calibration exercise as it will only add more confusing information to the meter and could result in further erroneous readings.

OP
B

bens42608

Since you powered it off and started the charging again at 20%, you never actually set the low battery flag (which is set at 15%). This time, let him use it until it reaches 15%, or if he gives it back to you before it gets to 15%, continue using it yourself. It is important that the cycle goes:
  1. Charge to 100% with power off,
  2. Drain to 15% (not lower) through normal use,
  3. Charge to 100% with power off,
Just in that order. The first charge to 100% sets the Full battery flag, the discharge to 15% sets the Low battery flag (hence the "Low battery" warning that pops up on the display), and the second charge to 100% confirms the range of charge from 15% to 100% to calibrate the meter properly. If you leave out any one of the three steps, you defeat the entire purpose for doing this calibration exercise as it will only add more confusing information to the meter and could result in further erroneous readings.

Just use the phone like normal and charge as common sense mandates. You'll be fine.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Just use the phone like normal and charge as common sense mandates. You'll be fine.

The problem is common sense is a relative term. For some, common sense is to use the phone till it displays 0% and shuts down on its own while to others it means charge at every opportunity, and still others are somewhere in between. Also, the battery has no common sense, its going to react differently to each individual usage pattern.

It would be nice if the charging system were able to adapt to every individual person's unique profile and usage pattern but that's not the case and its been proven countless times that the metering system loses track of the actual battery levels and capacity. The method described above has been proven effective and documented by engineers in the battery industry. It has also been proven here in this and on other forums as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk with speech to text translation. Please excuse any minor grammatical/punctuation/spelling errors.

OP
B

bens42608

I believe we can go as far as to assume the OP has sufficient common sense to realize that when his battery is getting low he should charge it. If you choose to think that the OP's level of intelligent common sense is so low that he would make the faulty assumption that you should only charge your battery once it reaches 0% and dies, then that is quite interesting and makes me wonder why you consider them to be so stupid. After reviewing some of the OP's posts in the past I had come to the logical assumption that based on prior knowledge, he has a sufficient amount of common sense regarding Android in general to be sufficiently competent to determine when to charge his battery. Considering the fact that he only gets to play with the phone for a little while before his Dad needs it back, it doesn't seem practical to expect him to be able to monitor the device closely enough to follow those precise instructions when such actions are absolutely not necessary to simply calibrate a new phone's battery meter. If the OP uses common sense to charge the device as necessary, I am confident, due to personal experience that the battery along with the phone will turn out fine and display generally accurate percentages.:p

Trash Can

Reaction score
I believe we can go as far as to assume the OP has sufficient common sense to realize that when his battery is getting low he should charge it. If you choose to think that the OP's level of intelligent common sense is so low that he would make the faulty assumption that you should only charge your battery once it reaches 0% and dies, then that is quite interesting and makes me wonder why you consider them to be so stupid. After reviewing some of the OP's posts in the past I had come to the logical assumption that based on prior knowledge, he has a sufficient amount of common sense regarding Android in general to be sufficiently competent to determine when to charge his battery. Considering the fact that he only gets to play with the phone for a little while before his Dad needs it back, it doesn't seem practical to expect him to be able to monitor the device closely enough to follow those precise instructions when such actions are absolutely not necessary to simply calibrate a new phone's battery meter. If the OP uses common sense to charge the device as necessary, I am confident, due to personal experience that the battery along with the phone will turn out fine and display generally accurate percentages.:p

There is lots of old, bad info floating around. You would be surpised how many people believe that fully discharging these batteries is a good thing -- that doesn't make them stupid.

Second, there are cases where the battery meter is not displaying an accurate level of charge. Here is a recent example.

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
Just follow Dr FoxKat instructions and you'll have a long lasting battery

Caesars

Reaction score
Dont let it get to zero % lol, At my last job I was lucky enough to work at a corp sales/repair store. The people who had the HTC evo (original) that let the battery to zero often had to come in and let us use our "special battery machine" for any hopes of that battery ever working again. Basically as far as I could tell it was a tester machine that also enabled you to change the volts on first few min of charge. Not really sure what it was, but SOMETIMES when your battery gets zero, you can't charge it again.

Chukee

Reaction score
Follow what motorola tells you about how to charge your phone. According to motorola who makes the phone they recommend you charge your phone at 75 percent of use before you recharge it. I tend to try and follow their recommendation when i can. But as most people will say its not always possible. Goto your news app and subscribe to their tips and tricks feed.