Umm.. white flashing light.. phone shut off..

Likwid_E

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4
What the hell just happened?!

My phone has been on the charger for about 2 hours now and working just fine. I went to pick it up, and where the notification LED is, it flashed a white light a few times, completely shut off, turned itself back on, and says the battery is charging but it's at 0%.

Whaaa?

OP
Likwid_E

Likwid_E

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4
My phone is rooted and I've done a battery calibration every couple months. I've been really good with my use of charging. I've read battery training threads on here and have taken all good advice. Still, I've gotten the white light. Is my phone done for? It's on the charger now. Going to wait till 100% and try to turn it on... :(

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
I've heard about the "white light of death" a few other times. There doesn't seem to be any common causes but it may mean the phone or the battery is done.

Try holding power + volume down for 10+ seconds to see if the phone will reboot.

OP
Likwid_E

Likwid_E

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4
Should I wait for the charge to get higher than 20% or do you think I should try it now? It's currently at 15%. And should I unplug it and try to reboot? Or try to reboot with it plugged in?

I've had my Maxx since the month it was released. Which was... a little over a year ago, I think? Maybe my phone just might be done for. I've taken such great care of it too :(

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
If it appears to be charging then it shouldn't hurt to leave it on the charger, then try the reboot.

If that doesn't work, there is always the option to try and reflash the stock firmware just to see, but this may not work and may cause you to lose data if something goes wrong during.

I know the frustration of taking great care of your devices just to have them crap out anyway lol. There is no rhyme or reason to it.

OP
Likwid_E

Likwid_E

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4
Also I want to mention, the white light flashed a few times then shut off. I have not gotten a solid white light like some others have reported.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Also I want to mention, the white light flashed a few times then shut off. I have not gotten a solid white light like some others have reported.

Yea, i got ya. From what I've read, when others have gotten those lights some peoples phones reboot and work just fine and some are dead. It's hard to say which is which until you try.

OP
Likwid_E

Likwid_E

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4
Thanks for your help. I'm going to wait till my charge is over 20% then try to reboot with Power + Volume Down. I'll keep posted with my success or failure.

Edit: Actually I'm going to wait until this thing is at 100% just to be on the safe side.

OP
Likwid_E

Likwid_E

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4
Update..... waited for it to reach 50%, while still plugged in, turned it on like I normally would. Bam. It's back on and working now.

(but for how long?)

-__-

OP
Likwid_E

Likwid_E

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4
It happened again last week :( But I was able to get it back on after charging it and it's working properly now.

Odd coincidence- a friend of mine at work had it happen to his Maxx just yesterday. And his phone is only 3 months old.