Lookout vs. Mobile Defense

PriestSyrinx

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between these two apps. They look pretty similar and I was just looking to see if anyone has used both and has any input on this.

Thanks!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Tried both.

Settled for WaveSecure.

OP
PriestSyrinx

PriestSyrinx

Reaction score
That one looks nice, but the $20 per year fee seemed a little steep stacked against the two free apps. I'm certainly not against paying for apps, I just didn't see anything that seemed to justify the extra cost over the others.

jarby

Reaction score
I'm very happy with Mobile Defense....just register your phone on the website and go from there.

I checked it out to make sure it works and it works great. dancedroid

Royal2000H

Reaction score
I've been using Mobile Defense for a while now. I installed it as a system app. No problems with it.
I remember WaveSecure had some international texting problems that led to charges on my account. Dunno if that's fixed..

DrScrubs

Reaction score
They said it has been remedied. Texts now are sent from U.S servers.

Sent Using Tapatalk

Mulciber

Reaction score
It looks like Mobile Defense requires root. Could not quite figure it out

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I use lookout and WaveSecure, I never saw anywhere where ya had to pay for wavesecure, I never did...

Mulciber

Reaction score
I use lookout and WaveSecure, I never saw anywhere where ya had to pay for wavesecure, I never did...
Apparently Wave Secure is a paid app now. Downloading with only give a 7 day trial. As of today anyway.

bje1982

Reaction score
so just wondering if these apps actually work for virus protection and such? I know I can do a remote wipe and track my stolen phone but do the spyware and virus protection features actually work? I thought linux wasnt that vulnerable in the first place but Im no programmer....

Mulciber

Reaction score
so just wondering if these apps actually work for virus protection and such? I know I can do a remote wipe and track my stolen phone but do the spyware and virus protection features actually work? I thought linux wasnt that vulnerable in the first place but Im no programmer....

That is actually a myth. Linux/Apples are just as vunerable. The thing is that if you were a malicious person ( and hackers are) why go after 15% of the people using the internet as oppose to 85% of people. Also chances are if your using linux/Apple your computer knowledge would probably be higher than most windows users (in general, grandma isnt going to be using linux. She will use windows) it makes more sense to target windows machines.As to how can you tell, there really isnt a way unless it detects something. But there are viruses for Linux/Apples and Windows. Just more for Windows since it's the most used OS.

Royal2000H

Reaction score
Only if you install as a system app.

System app makes it so you can't uninstall from the normal app settings menu and so that the app can turn on gps when it's off.

Macrophage

Reaction score
That is actually a myth. Linux/Apples are just as vunerable. The thing is that if you were a malicious person ( and hackers are) why go after 15% of the people using the internet as oppose to 85% of people... But there are viruses for Linux/Apples and Windows. Just more for Windows since it's the most used OS.
On the surface your market share theory is sound, but if falls apart when you take into servers. Windows might be the market leader in personal computers; however, Linux is king of the servers. If the true incentive of a virus writer is total possible victims, you'd think there would be a lot more *nix viruses.

There are no Android viruses to date. Note, a virus is specific kind of self replicating threat and not a blanket term for all malware. There have been suspicious apps removed from the Android Market which may have been trojans. However, none of the snake oil "antivirus" apps on the Market are going to protect against zero day threats.

You don't need Windows-like antivirus software. Android phones aren't shipped with root privileges enabled and all of the apps are sandboxed by the OS and vm. Use common sense when downloading apps and review the security permissions requested during install. Don't download from untrusted sources and avoid sharing sensitive login credentials with unknown developers. For example, don't install a mobile banking app developed by some random person.

Mulciber

Reaction score
That is actually a myth. Linux/Apples are just as vunerable. The thing is that if you were a malicious person ( and hackers are) why go after 15% of the people using the internet as oppose to 85% of people... But there are viruses for Linux/Apples and Windows. Just more for Windows since it's the most used OS.
On the surface your market share theory is sound, but if falls apart when you take into servers. Windows might be the market leader in personal computers; however, Linux is king of the servers. If the true incentive of a virus writer is total possible victims, you'd think there would be a lot more *nix viruses.

There are no Android viruses to date. Note, a virus is specific kind of self replicating threat and not a blanket term for all malware. There have been suspicious apps removed from the Android Market which may have been trojans. However, none of the snake oil "antivirus" apps on the Market are going to protect against zero day threats.

You don't need Windows-like antivirus software. Android phones aren't shipped with root privileges enabled and all of the apps are sandboxed by the OS and vm. Use common sense when downloading apps and review the security permissions requested during install. Don't download from untrusted sources and avoid sharing sensitive login credentials with unknown developers. For example, don't install a mobile banking app developed by some random person.

Your correct to a point. Firstly, there are alot of linux servers out there and I mean alot. But I still in my honest opinion think that Microsoft still may trump that market as well. For example think of it this way. Many companys have linux/mainframes/unix servers but almost every large corporation is going to have Active Directory or some type of Microsoft Server running in their enviornment. If you include WANS in such the domain controllers and dns servers alone would trump whatever linux/unix or mainframe servers. But again thats just my opinion.

Secondly, when I was answering his question I was thinking more what he was talking about. For instance if you do have servers I highly doubt you would be installing apps that dont have a credible developer or such. (the administrator just wouldnt be installing anything) Most companys actually have a process as far as licensing goes so you really couldnt just install un safe programs.

Third, as far as malicious ware (malware) they are different from viruses. Most mal ware will come from a website you went to (which needs to be coded for specific browsers, also which most are for IE *hint hint*Microsoft). Viruses for the most part need to be executed from sometype of exe file or such.

Also on a side note on my webserver that I run from my house (linux) I get a couple thousand attempts crack the root password. But thats hacking (brute force hacking at that). So servers arent necessarily safe, but in the context of the question that didnt seem necessary to mention. Also I didnt even think that the fact that the droid didnt come rooted would literly make it almost impossible to be affected by a virus.(since a virus techinically needs to be executed *see third point) so you got me there. :) So theoretically you should only have to worry about malicious apps stealing data like Macrophage said.

Anyway I think this just shows how big of geeks we truly are lol........come back with more I love these conversations lol

jarby

Reaction score
Only if you install as a system app.

System app makes it so you can't uninstall from the normal app settings menu and so that the app can turn on gps when it's off.

I'm not rooted and I have Mobile Defense......did they change something?