Lookout vs. Mobile Defense

arw01

Reaction score
any of those apps work with google voice sms yet?

the company does not have texting on our phones and verizon won't let us pay for it ourselves so we have no texting.

I use google voice for texting and I would like an app that can tell me where my phone is when I cannot find it.

Alan

DrScrubs

Reaction score
Only if you install as a system app.

System app makes it so you can't uninstall from the normal app settings menu and so that the app can turn on gps when it's off.

I'm not rooted and I have Mobile Defense......did they change something?

Nothing changed. You can install MS through the regular means or through rooting and as system app. The system app makes it un-installable and allows you to turn on GPS even if phone is off. That is the benefit.

Sent Using Tapatalk

DrScrubs

Reaction score
the company does not have texting on our phones and verizon won't let us pay for it ourselves so we have no texting.

I use google voice for texting and I would like an app that can tell me where my phone is when I cannot find it.

Alan

Unfortunately, I do not believe there are any that can find your phone through GV texting. To connect to your phone and control it every app I know of needs to send a text to your phone from some server. Maybe that may change and improve in the future.

Sent Using Tapatalk

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
That one looks nice, but the $20 per year fee seemed a little steep stacked against the two free apps. I'm certainly not against paying for apps, I just didn't see anything that seemed to justify the extra cost over the others.

I got WS when it was in beta and it's free for the life of the device :)

arw01

Reaction score
I had the impression that handcent could receive a google voice sms?

If handcent can get it, the concept of the other programs not being able to get it eludes me.

Droid man

Reaction score
I use lookout and to me, its the best. it has virus protection, can backup your file, and if you lose your phone, sign in on the computer and it automatically tracks it.

OP
PriestSyrinx

PriestSyrinx

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, everyone! I finally decided on Mobile Defense. It seems to do exactly what I want.