Mobile Defense vs Wave Secure

J. Dub

Reaction score
Hi Wavesecure,

I noticed the new version of wavesecure is suppose to auto back up your data... But what if we don't want to auto back it up? I'd like to get the latest update in case you all roll another update after this one out for bugs, ect... But I just don't want my data going to some server for gosh knows who to see.
Any help?

Hi J. Dub,
You can choose not to have auto-backup on. You can safely update WaveSecure from Android.

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

O cool! Thanks didn't know that. I'll tell the others at work. :icon_ banana:

EVILOLIVE

Reaction score
I have a question about WaveSecure - if I lost my Moto Droid, and ended up purchasing a replacement phone that is not a Moto Droid (like a Droid Incredible, or something newer), would I still be able to reinstall my contacts, photos, etc. onto the new phone, or would I need to be another Droid?

bhawks

Reaction score
I have a question about wavesecure. I have been using it for a while and it works great. I have handcent and have the wavesecure texts blacklisted so they dont show up. However when I track, lock, or backup I am still getting the handcent notifications. When I click on the notification the text disappears. Anyway to stop this notification from showing up? Thanks

cheewee

Reaction score
I have a question about WaveSecure - if I lost my Moto Droid, and ended up purchasing a replacement phone that is not a Moto Droid (like a Droid Incredible, or something newer), would I still be able to reinstall my contacts, photos, etc. onto the new phone, or would I need to be another Droid?

Hi EILOLIVE,
If you have a full subscription, you can restore your mobile data to a different phone. However, it must be a platform/support that WaveSecure supports. Currently, WaveSecure supports Android, BlackBerry, S60 and Windows Mobile. You can check out our web site for a list of support phones.

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

cheewee

Reaction score
I have a question about wavesecure. I have been using it for a while and it works great. I have handcent and have the wavesecure texts blacklisted so they dont show up. However when I track, lock, or backup I am still getting the handcent notifications. When I click on the notification the text disappears. Anyway to stop this notification from showing up? Thanks

Hi bhawks,
According to our development team, Android OS doesn't allow apps to intercept text messages. Hence, there is no way we can stop this notification from showing up currently.

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

T

tsitalon1

Does Mobiledefense now offer remote wiping and uninstall protection as wavesecure does?

T

tsitalon1

Hi guys,

Mobile Defense will continue to be free and you'll never have to worry about international SMS costs. The next release of Mobile Defense which is currently being alpha tested and due out very soon supports full wipe of your device. In addition, if you install the current version of Mobile Defense as a system app it can auto-enable Wireless/GPS location providers as needed and even prevent users from uninstalling the application. You can also manage up to 5 phones at once, even tracking them simultaneously. We have many more exciting features on the way!

Privacy and security are absolute priorities for Mobile Defense. Our team leverages a background in mobile banking, implementing the same best practices and encryption used by the financial industry. We believe that the keys to success are engaging our users early and often. If you have any suggestions on how we can improve Mobile Defense, please let us know via the Suggestions forum (Mobile Defense).

Best Regards,

Ken Adair
Mobile Defense
https://www.mobiledefense.com

To be more precise, has the above happened yet?

Doombot

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced trouble with Wavesecure after the 2.1 update? All the functions from the website used to work, including lock, alarm, etc. but now nothing works. I attempt to lock my phone as part of my monthly check, and nothing happens. The website just gets stuck in limbo and my phone remains unlocked.

cheewee

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced trouble with Wavesecure after the 2.1 update? All the functions from the website used to work, including lock, alarm, etc. but now nothing works. I attempt to lock my phone as part of my monthly check, and nothing happens. The website just gets stuck in limbo and my phone remains unlocked.

Hi Doombot,
After some extensive testing with numerous WaveSecure users, we just switched US users to the US SMS gateway to load test it.

Please tell us which carrier are you on so we can investigate and iron out the minor kinks.

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

Doombot

Reaction score
Hi Doombot,
After some extensive testing with numerous WaveSecure users, we just switched US users to the US SMS gateway to load test it.

Please tell us which carrier are you on so we can investigate and iron out the minor kinks.

I am on Verizon Wireless, using the Motorola Droid, Android OS 2.1.

I sent in a support request to Wavesecure as well, but thanks for the prompt reply here.

Stretch2m

Reaction score

Hi cheewee,

I just installed WaveSecure using the update.zip provided at http://www.wavesecure.com/installations/update.zip (which sets it up as a system app), and I am observing the same problem. I can backup to the website, etc., but none of the remote functions are working. I have tried lock and location, and my phone was never sent a text message to activate either function.

I have a Motorola Droid, running a 2.1 ROM. If you want I can PM you specifics of my phone number.

cheewee

Reaction score
Hi Doombot and Stretch2m,
Just wanted to give you both a quick status update on the US SMS gateway.

After switching US users to the US SMS gateway to load test it, the operators disabled both the 2 SIMs we used to send out text messages shortly. This is possibly due to the huge amounts of messages we sent. For now, we have switched back to our Singapore gateway.

Once our tech folks managed to resolve this issue, I'll be back with an update.

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

poubelle

Reaction score
I'm confused. When you log in to the website, there is an option for Lock that says "Click here to remotely lock your phone, you can simply unlock it any time. You can also customize your lock message or make your phone scream!" You're saying this isn't supposed to lock the phone? Then what is it supposed to do?

Hi dbronstein,
Sorry if I wasn't clear and I apologize for the late reply. Thanks to JhankG for helping to explain this.

With WaveSecure installed, you can remotely lock the device from the website or issue a lock command from another phone by sending a text message.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

I have the same problem as dbronstein.

When I click 'Lock' on the Wave Secure website, it displays 'locking...'. But nothing happens on the phone until I reboot it.

The SMS obviously gets to the phone, since it locks at the next reboot. But for some reason WaveSecure does not lock immediately.

I am using a Nexus One with the latest Cyanogen ROM, but I've also tried it on Paul's Desire ROM (which comes with Wave Secure pre-installed) and the behavior is the same.

cheewee

Reaction score
I have the same problem as dbronstein.

When I click 'Lock' on the Wave Secure website, it displays 'locking...'. But nothing happens on the phone until I reboot it.

The SMS obviously gets to the phone, since it locks at the next reboot. But for some reason WaveSecure does not lock immediately.

I am using a Nexus One with the latest Cyanogen ROM, but I've also tried it on Paul's Desire ROM (which comes with Wave Secure pre-installed) and the behavior is the same.

Hi poubelle,
I don't think dbronstein is experiencing the same problem as you. He was just unsure of the features available from the website.

Regarding your issue, the phone locks on the next reboot because the WaveSecure client checks with the server. Once a pending lock is detected, the client will lock the phone. There is a good chance SMSes are not getting through to your phone.

Do you have a SMS plan or do you block international text messages?

Please contact support at www.wavesecure.com/support so we can look into this issue.

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

draziok

Reaction score
I just tested out the lock from the website to see if it was working since it's been a little while, and it made my phone FREAK

Everything was force closing, even on reboot, I guess that's one way to lock the phone.

I ended up wiping data through recovery......