Mobile Defense vs Wave Secure

ebe3692

Reaction score
Ive had wavesecure for a while and seems to work pretty well so far,
however i just saw this article touting mobile defense:
Android App Alert: Mobile Defense Hits the Market - PC World

the thing i dont like about wavesecure is that it sends an international text (0.20) to locate the phone - thats nothing compared to the cost of a lost phone but I didnt realize id be charged while i was testing it out...
but it doesnt look like mobile defense has backup features - however this isnt too critical as most of my info lives in the cloud anyway....

anyone else have experience with both apps or other similar?

oceanlight

Reaction score
the thing i dont like about wavesecure is that it sends an international text (0.20) to locate the phone
i've been using wavesecure, but did not realize this. thanks for the heads up.

does mobile defense have remote wipe?

edit: just read the article lol.

The greatest power of Mobile Defense, however, is still on the way. The app will eventually allow you to remotely back up and then wipe all of your data from your device, a functionality that could prove invaluable in the event of theft.

OP
E

ebe3692

Reaction score
yeah, I didnt realize the charge till I saw it in another thread about Wave Secure - so I pulled up my last bill and sure enough there were 2 charges for int'l texts

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ive had wavesecure for a while and seems to work pretty well so far,
however i just saw this article touting mobile defense:
Android App Alert: Mobile Defense Hits the Market - PC World

the thing i dont like about wavesecure is that it sends an international text (0.20) to locate the phone - thats nothing compared to the cost of a lost phone but I didnt realize id be charged while i was testing it out...
but it doesnt look like mobile defense has backup features - however this isnt too critical as most of my info lives in the cloud anyway....

anyone else have experience with both apps or other similar?
Son of a @@@@@@@@ - I just checked, and I have 8 international texts since I installed Wave Secure. I swear I never saw any disclaimer that I would be getting charged for international messages. That's getting removed from my phone. I'll check out Mobile Defense now and make sure I have backups of everything I would need now.

oceanlight

Reaction score
for me, remote-wipe is the single most important feature. if i lose my phone, i don't realistically expect to ever get it back, regardless of tracking and whatnot. so it's paramount that i have the ability to wipe the thing.

this is the reason i'm sticking with wavesecure, at least until mobile defense gets remote wipe.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
for me, remote-wipe is the single most important feature. if i lose my phone, i don't realistically expect to ever get it back, regardless of tracking and whatnot. so it's paramount that i have the ability to wipe the thing.

this is the reason i'm sticking with wavesecure, at least until mobile defense gets remote wipe.
You're right, so I'll keep it and ONLY use Wave Secure if by chance my phone gets stolen. I'm still going to install Mobile Defense and as long as there's no International Text messages I'll be paying for then I'll put all my marbles on it and uninstall WaveSecure. Another thing I found a little curious with WaveSecure is the fact you can send a command and it will have a woman SCREAM - if I was a thief and the person used that - well the phone would be thrown to the ground and stepped on immediately.

oceanlight

Reaction score
You're right, so I'll keep it and ONLY use Wave Secure if by chance my phone gets stolen. I'm still going to install Mobile Defense and as long as there's no International Text messages I'll be paying for then I'll put all my marbles on it and uninstall WaveSecure. Another thing I found a little curious with WaveSecure is the fact you can send a command and it will have a woman SCREAM - if I was a thief and the person used that - well the phone would be thrown to the ground and stepped on immediately.
hahaha seriously? i've never tested the alarm. it doesn't actually play the sound of a woman screaming does it?? i consider having it stepped on to be a security feature though. :)

Dragoro

Reaction score
Yeah, if its stolen, why would ya care if they stepped on it, it aint like your going to see it again anyways.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
hahaha seriously? i've never tested the alarm. it doesn't actually play the sound of a woman screaming does it?? i consider having it stepped on to be a security feature though. :)
Install it, wait until someone in your house is sleeping, and send the signal for the woman screaming and you'll see exactly what I mean!

oceanlight

Reaction score
wait, so it really does make the sound of a woman screaming? or are you saying if a woman hears it she'll scream? :blink:

OP
E

ebe3692

Reaction score
Just tried out mobile defense and seems to work fine. Location was accurate with GPS on. able to set off the alarm and lock remotely.
The online tracking interface shows battery strength, and signal strength (however it says no signal when i clearly have one)

One potential advantage Ive found to wave secure is that they have guaranteed a lifetime free subscription for anyone that downloads before they start charging.
(reference this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/6030-wavesecure-7.html#post77495)

Mobile Defense is free for now but it doesnt look like they have ruled out charging you in the future if you d/l now: "In the future, there may be a nominal fee for premium services; however, the features you have today will remain free.

rlandon

Reaction score
I'll ask the stupid question, but if it alarms can't the person just pull the battery? Once pulled, it's dead. From there, replace the 16 gb data card, reinstall the battery, and force a hard boot. I assume the internal ROM would keep the phones programmed data such as phone number, EISN, and keep the GPS tracking??

OP
E

ebe3692

Reaction score
I'll ask the stupid question, but if it alarms can't the person just pull the battery? Once pulled, it's dead. From there, replace the 16 gb data card, reinstall the battery, and force a hard boot. I assume the internal ROM would keep the phones programmed data such as phone number, EISN, and keep the GPS tracking??
I think youre right - doesnt seem you could do much with either program to stop a thief as the first thing they'll probably do would be to pull the battery and then do a hard reset.
I figure if my phone is stolen, im pretty much screwed.
I'm more interested in the fact that maybe if I leave it somewhere like the back of a cab or under the seat at a theater - maybe I could get someones attention to pick up the phone and the kind hearted soul would try to locate the owner... or I guess I could just use the tracking to find it...

cheewee

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just to clarify, the client on your phone won't send text messages unless a new SIM is inserted.

Unfortunately, there is no way for the server to issue commands to your phone, except via text messages. That said, you can choose not to trigger them until your phone is misplaced or stolen. This way, you won't get charged.

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

Ken Adair

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Mobile Defense will continue to be free and you'll never have to worry about international SMS costs. The next release of Mobile Defense which is currently being alpha tested and due out very soon supports full wipe of your device. In addition, if you install the current version of Mobile Defense as a system app it can auto-enable Wireless/GPS location providers as needed and even prevent users from uninstalling the application. You can also manage up to 5 phones at once, even tracking them simultaneously. We have many more exciting features on the way!

Privacy and security are absolute priorities for Mobile Defense. Our team leverages a background in mobile banking, implementing the same best practices and encryption used by the financial industry. We believe that the keys to success are engaging our users early and often. If you have any suggestions on how we can improve Mobile Defense, please let us know via the Suggestions forum (Mobile Defense).

Best Regards,

Ken Adair
Mobile Defense
https://www.mobiledefense.com