Mobile Defense vs Wave Secure

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by ebe3692, Dec 15, 2009.

1. ebe3692

ebe3692 New Member

Ive had wavesecure for a while and seems to work pretty well so far,
    however i just saw this article touting mobile defense:
    Android App Alert: Mobile Defense Hits the Market - PC World

the thing i dont like about wavesecure is that it sends an international text (0.20) to locate the phone - thats nothing compared to the cost of a lost phone but I didnt realize id be charged while i was testing it out...
    but it doesnt look like mobile defense has backup features - however this isnt too critical as most of my info lives in the cloud anyway....

anyone else have experience with both apps or other similar?
  2. oceanlight

oceanlight New Member

i've been using wavesecure, but did not realize this. thanks for the heads up.

does mobile defense have remote wipe?

edit: just read the article lol.

3. ebe3692

ebe3692 New Member

yeah, I didnt realize the charge till I saw it in another thread about Wave Secure - so I pulled up my last bill and sure enough there were 2 charges for int'l texts
  4. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Son of a @@@@@@@@ - I just checked, and I have 8 international texts since I installed Wave Secure. I swear I never saw any disclaimer that I would be getting charged for international messages. That's getting removed from my phone. I'll check out Mobile Defense now and make sure I have backups of everything I would need now.
  5. oceanlight

oceanlight New Member

for me, remote-wipe is the single most important feature. if i lose my phone, i don't realistically expect to ever get it back, regardless of tracking and whatnot. so it's paramount that i have the ability to wipe the thing.

this is the reason i'm sticking with wavesecure, at least until mobile defense gets remote wipe.
  6. Vulcan1600

You're right, so I'll keep it and ONLY use Wave Secure if by chance my phone gets stolen. I'm still going to install Mobile Defense and as long as there's no International Text messages I'll be paying for then I'll put all my marbles on it and uninstall WaveSecure. Another thing I found a little curious with WaveSecure is the fact you can send a command and it will have a woman SCREAM - if I was a thief and the person used that - well the phone would be thrown to the ground and stepped on immediately.
  7. oceanlight

oceanlight New Member

hahaha seriously? i've never tested the alarm. it doesn't actually play the sound of a woman screaming does it?? i consider having it stepped on to be a security feature though. :)
  8. Dragoro

Dragoro New Member

Yeah, if its stolen, why would ya care if they stepped on it, it aint like your going to see it again anyways.
  9. Vulcan1600

Install it, wait until someone in your house is sleeping, and send the signal for the woman screaming and you'll see exactly what I mean!
  10. oceanlight

oceanlight New Member

wait, so it really does make the sound of a woman screaming? or are you saying if a woman hears it she'll scream? :blink:
  11. ebe3692

ebe3692 New Member

Just tried out mobile defense and seems to work fine. Location was accurate with GPS on. able to set off the alarm and lock remotely.
    The online tracking interface shows battery strength, and signal strength (however it says no signal when i clearly have one)

One potential advantage Ive found to wave secure is that they have guaranteed a lifetime free subscription for anyone that downloads before they start charging.
    (reference this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/6030-wavesecure-7.html#post77495)

Mobile Defense is free for now but it doesnt look like they have ruled out charging you in the future if you d/l now: "In the future, there may be a nominal fee for premium services; however, the features you have today will remain free.
  12. rlandon

rlandon New Member

I'll ask the stupid question, but if it alarms can't the person just pull the battery? Once pulled, it's dead. From there, replace the 16 gb data card, reinstall the battery, and force a hard boot. I assume the internal ROM would keep the phones programmed data such as phone number, EISN, and keep the GPS tracking??
  13. ebe3692

ebe3692 New Member

I think youre right - doesnt seem you could do much with either program to stop a thief as the first thing they'll probably do would be to pull the battery and then do a hard reset.
    I figure if my phone is stolen, im pretty much screwed.
    I'm more interested in the fact that maybe if I leave it somewhere like the back of a cab or under the seat at a theater - maybe I could get someones attention to pick up the phone and the kind hearted soul would try to locate the owner... or I guess I could just use the tracking to find it...
  14. cheewee

cheewee New Member

Hi all,
    Just to clarify, the client on your phone won't send text messages unless a new SIM is inserted.

Unfortunately, there is no way for the server to issue commands to your phone, except via text messages. That said, you can choose not to trigger them until your phone is misplaced or stolen. This way, you won't get charged.

Thanks,
    cheewee
    Team WaveSecure
    www.wavesecure.com
  15. Ken Adair

Ken Adair New Member

Hi guys,

Mobile Defense will continue to be free and you'll never have to worry about international SMS costs. The next release of Mobile Defense which is currently being alpha tested and due out very soon supports full wipe of your device. In addition, if you install the current version of Mobile Defense as a system app it can auto-enable Wireless/GPS location providers as needed and even prevent users from uninstalling the application. You can also manage up to 5 phones at once, even tracking them simultaneously. We have many more exciting features on the way!

Privacy and security are absolute priorities for Mobile Defense. Our team leverages a background in mobile banking, implementing the same best practices and encryption used by the financial industry. We believe that the keys to success are engaging our users early and often. If you have any suggestions on how we can improve Mobile Defense, please let us know via the Suggestions forum (Mobile Defense).

Best Regards,

Ken Adair
    Mobile Defense
    https://www.mobiledefense.com
  16. cheewee

cheewee New Member

Hi all,
    I think we can safely assume there are a good number of people with good intentions who would be willing to return your phone. An app like WaveSecure will help facilitate the recovery. Not everyone has bad intention.

Thanks,
    cheewee
    Team WaveSecure
    www.wavesecure.com
  17. romeov

romeov New Member

INTERNATIONAL TEXTS???

Wait, let me get this straight, you coded this app over months to allow me to locate my stolen droid, lock it down, and wipe the data all remotely, therefore eliminating someone hacking into my email, facebook, bank info on the browser, paypal app, etc... and pretty much destroying my life.

And then you give it to me for free

Then you tell me I can have it free for life by getting it early.

And then, when my six hundred dollar droid is stolen, you have the AUDACITY to make me pay TWENTY FRIGGIN CENTS to get it back?????

Do you think we're made out of money?? I bought my kid a gumball from the machine at steak and shake the other day for a quarter, do you know how many hours of overtime I had to work to pay for that?? One guy who posted here had eight international texts testing it out to make sure it worked right when it his $600 dollar Droid got stolen. EIGHT! That is a buck sixty!! One hundred and sixty cents!!! How dare you!

Absolutely unacceptable. Move your entire operations to the United States immediately, pay me a thousand dollars for emotional distress, and give me a foot rub... and I'll think.. I repeat: THINK about not suing you for international theft.
  18. Darius

Darius New Member

Please accept our apology

Dear Romeov,

It has recently came to my attention that our product offering has caused you and perhaps other users undue distress.

We hereby sincerely and solemnly apologize for any unhappiness it might have caused you.

We have came to the realization that, due to an oversight, we may have accidentally caused you to incur cost unknowingly when using the WaveSecure service provided by us.

This happened due to an unexpected carrier-charging behavior that, much to our regret, we did not consider when making the WaveSecure service available for download – we serve users in 140 countries and US is the only country where carriers may charge users to RECEIVE SMS*. We do apologize for the inconvenience or costs incurred so far, and will be rectifying the system to ensure this will not happen again**.

If you would kindly let us know how much you have spent on using WaveSecure, by emailing us your mobile number and address at whyamipayingtorecievesms at tenCube dot com, we will be glad to reimburse you for the expenditure, by sending you a small gift of 10 gumballs, worth US $2.50, as a token of apology. We hope that the small token may bring a smile to your child and relieve you from the distress that we may have caused – do cheer up, it is Christmas after all.

I will be in the United States in March next year and would also personally visit you to provide the foot rub as requested. However, my fingers are heavily calloused from writing code in the day, and mopping floor at KFC at night to finance the DSL line of our garage where we host the server**, so I am a little hesitant on the quality of service I can provide you.

Aside from that, please do let us know how we can possibly compensate you for the trouble we have put you through.

Darius
    CEO, tenCube WaveSecure

* For the sake of clarity, we would like to indicate that the above statement is by no means any expression of opinion of the business practices of any carrier, we recognize that it is a difficult to run a carrier business and maintain EBITA of over 45%, and thus some carriers may need to charge users for the device, plan, and further for receiving SMS.

** Guys, our NOC (network operations center) for U.S. is being set up right now, all your SMSes will come from a local gateway within 2 weeks, so there will not be any charges.

*** Just kidding, the server is hosted at Rackspace, one of the best damn datacenters, they sure overcharge though.
  19. ebe3692

ebe3692 New Member

I think Im keeping both for now... i figure a little redunancy would be good in this situation....

i really dont think anyone was too put out by the 20 cents per message, just didnt realize this would happen. In fact I am surprised these apps are free given that most people would pay good money to get their phone back if lost / stolen. (i guess bc they are still in beta)
    It seems like both apps are going to have pretty equal footing pretty soon - i guess this is why having competing apps is good for the consumer
    thanks to the devs for all the hard work

the one thing that sucks is that is that the droid does not support remotely turning on GPS. sounds like maybe you could do this with a rooted droid and mobile defense in the future, but I dont think im willing to mess with that.
  20. ebe3692

ebe3692 New Member

looks like there is also an app called Mobile Security by Lookout on the market that does the same thing....
Search tags for this page

mobile defense vs wavesecure

wave app for international texting
wave secure vs mobile defense
wavesecure x