Is there not one ROM out there?

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
So admittingly I haven't tried every ROM out there, and that two people can have the exact same set up and get totally different results, so I guess this question is somewhat rhetorical, but I have to ask.

Right now I have in my box of restore points, 8 different ROMs/ROM versions; SS 4.6, BB v.4, cyanogen, insanemisis (oh, you know!), BB 1.1, SS 4.7, Lithium, and JRummy. All of them have great points and things within that I adore. I give huge kudos to the devs for these ROMs and I can only dream of taking the bits and pieces that I like from each and creating the ultimate JimROM.

However reality sets in and I do find myself looking for a certain area of functionality that lately has been the bane of my phone existence, as I can't seem to impress anyone with my phone because of this problem.

So.... is there any ROM that has the Chevy notbar customizations, BB icons and subtle theming, JR's theming and Lithium's quickness without.....

ready?......

without having the phone fall on it's face when coming off a certain app or setting page or something??? You know, let's say you're on a call and you hang up and need to get to say your Handcent app, but you hang up and hit the home button and it takes what seems like 30 minutes before your icons load up and another 3 minutes before you can scroll home screens. This is becoming incredibly annoying.

I've been through my stage of looking for the best Quadrant scores and find that clocked at 1.2ghz means nothing if you're waiting for your phone to get it's head out of it's arse to continue.

Man I've tried 800 - 1.2 kernels, ULV/SV/MV kernels, different ROMs, different launchers, read up on launcher settings, and more.... to the point of frustration. If you do the math, do you know the number of different combinations that are available between kernels, ROMs, and launchers????

I know this phone is capable of being snappy and I'll tell you, when I pull it out and my buddy pulls his iPhone 3G (slowed down with OS4) and he has the pic taken and reviewed before my camera is even ready to shoot.... FAIL.

cromo8

Reaction score
honestly no there isnt a rom out there thats "PERFECT" if u wanna call it that

to each his or her own

a ROM can run perfect or have problem on the same exact phone witht he same settings doesnt matter, there developers who work very hard kinda like exclusivity some dont work with other just because they like having their own work, and thats their right, however with some permissions and credit you can alter any ROM, theme it however you want, use whatever icons, launchers, kernels and tools

however thats a lot of work, there are a lot of people here on DF that take requests to almost anything however they like you would need permissions and such from the devs,

feel free to make a request on anything youd like to see dont expect a response too quickly or something to be created overnight

i myself are currently using SS 4.7, alwaysd been a fan of Jrummy and i ran Lithmod for a while, except i found that SS ran better with launcher pro plus, i figured that since i paid for it then i would much rather be using it as much as possible

hope my response wasnt just annoying and actually helpful

jim1974

Reaction score
I can say that redraw (that annoying lag you are talking about) has 99% gone away with SS 4.7. It was really bad on 4.6, but whatever magic Chevy has figured out I'm not complaining anymore. Every once in a while it will still happen, but it's no where near as bad. My biggest complaint is LP with its FC's but I do like it so I've decided to stick with it for now.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Mine rarely ever has screen redraws. I don't think there's another phone out there that snaps a pic and reloads faster than an iPhone to be honest (I own both a 3GS and a Droid1). Since owning and especially rooting my Droid, my iPhone has pretty much become an iPod Touch with a contract. I don't use my camera very much though to be honest. But, stability has never been stronger than it is with Liquid's ROM! Next would DEF have been SS4.6 and I'll be checking out 4.7 as soon as Dave (928Droid) themes it! Ask your friend to pull up a Flash webpage though...haha!!

jbrock98

Reaction score
I'm a huge Chevy SS fan even tho I didn't stay on 4.6 b/c of redraw issues but I've flashed almost every rom and on every rom played w/ a bunch of kernels then Ultimate Droid 6.0.0 came out and to my surprise the naked w/ stock kernel I had virtually NO REDRAW (right after flashing which I kept stock for 2 whole days lol) then when I installed faster kernel and adw everything perfect, UD7.0.0 had same results, I'm on chevy ss4.7 now and have been since it came out, I had no redraw issues w/ naked/ stock everything, after installing adw I've had very few redraws not enough to aggravate and when it happens its a second or 2 @ most, CHEVY & ULTIMATE DROID FTW

Sent from my SIMPLY STUNNING Droid using Tapatalk

doctordoctor

Reaction score
I had the same lag until I tried LIQUID frozen Yogurt. It solved all my problems. I came from Laggy CM6 RC2. however I think the themes for Liquid could use some 928droid help. they are pretty weak... but that is in my opinion and I am no DEV or expert just a consumer...

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
honestly no there isnt a rom out there thats "PERFECT" if u wanna call it that

to each his or her own

a ROM can run perfect or have problem on the same exact phone witht he same settings doesnt matter, there developers who work very hard kinda like exclusivity some dont work with other just because they like having their own work, and thats their right, however with some permissions and credit you can alter any ROM, theme it however you want, use whatever icons, launchers, kernels and tools

however thats a lot of work, there are a lot of people here on DF that take requests to almost anything however they like you would need permissions and such from the devs,

feel free to make a request on anything youd like to see dont expect a response too quickly or something to be created overnight

i myself are currently using SS 4.7, alwaysd been a fan of Jrummy and i ran Lithmod for a while, except i found that SS ran better with launcher pro plus, i figured that since i paid for it then i would much rather be using it as much as possible

hope my response wasnt just annoying and actually helpful
Not annoying at all. And I'm not looking for perfect, I guess my explanation was a bit off, but rather my latest obsession is finding one without the 'redraw" issues. I loaded up SS4.7 with much anticipation but it wasn't any better/worse than 4.6.... still, it's in my restore points ;)

I can say that redraw (that annoying lag you are talking about) has 99% gone away with SS 4.7. It was really bad on 4.6, but whatever magic Chevy has figured out I'm not complaining anymore. Every once in a while it will still happen, but it's no where near as bad. My biggest complaint is LP with its FC's but I do like it so I've decided to stick with it for now.
Like above, still there, but if they are all going to be this way opn my phone, 4.7 is at the top of the list for awesomeness.

Mine rarely ever has screen redraws. I don't think there's another phone out there that snaps a pic and reloads faster than an iPhone to be honest (I own both a 3GS and a Droid1). Since owning and especially rooting my Droid, my iPhone has pretty much become an iPod Touch with a contract. I don't use my camera very much though to be honest. But, stability has never been stronger than it is with Liquid's ROM! Next would DEF have been SS4.6 and I'll be checking out 4.7 as soon as Dave (928Droid) themes it! Ask your friend to pull up a Flash webpage though...haha!!
I did use the camera as an example because it happened today, but it can be anything. Coming from the phone settings, off of handcent, from gmail, etc. Just hate telling someone, "check this out..." then having to wait.

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had the same lag until I tried LIQUID frozen Yogurt. It solved all my problems. I came from Laggy CM6 RC2. however I think the themes for Liquid could use some 928droid help. they are pretty weak... but that is in my opinion and I am no DEV or expert just a consumer...

I will probably give this one another try this weekend ;)

serveitup911

Reaction score
I always had bad screen redraws as well. Now I am running Sapphire 1.0.0, with compcache enabled, and I don't have the redraw problem anymore. I use ADW by the way.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I run CM6 RC-3 (as if you couldn't tell by my member info on the left), and I have the occasional redraw issue. I also have so many apps running in the background I'm not surprised, and there's an option in RC-3 to keep the home screens in memory at all time to avoid this issue. I didn't try it, but it's there.

AlienGorilla

Reaction score
I can't believe that no one has mentioned UD Extreme roms. I tried all of the roms that the op has listed before trying UD Extreme 4.0. I haven't switched since then and UD is currently on 7.0 and it just gets exponentially better. Second place would have to be BB 4.0 and it would rpobably be a distant second.

I run UD 7.0. It has 4 built in launchers (including ADW and Launcher Pro) and I currently run ADW. I use chevyno1's 1ghzLV kernel. Redraw is almost non existent (occasional 1-2 second redraw after running a memory intensive task). The rom has a ton of features and the kernel is a perfect balance of speed and battery life. UD plus ADW plus ChevyNo1 is the fastest, snappiest, most responsive combination I have yet to find.

Then again, everyone's phone is different and esults may vary, but ask anyone that uses UD Extreme roms and they will most likely tell you that their daily rom flashing has ended and they are completely satisfied.

Just my two cents though.
P.S. My Quadrant score averages in the 1300's

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can't believe that no one has mentioned UD Extreme roms. I tried all of the roms that the op has listed before trying UD Extreme 4.0. I haven't switched since then and UD is currently on 7.0 and it just gets exponentially better. Second place would have to be BB 4.0 and it would rpobably be a distant second.

I run UD 7.0. It has 4 built in launchers (including ADW and Launcher Pro) and I currently run ADW. I use chevyno1's 1ghzLV kernel. Redraw is almost non existent (occasional 1-2 second redraw after running a memory intensive task). The rom has a ton of features and the kernel is a perfect balance of speed and battery life. UD plus ADW plus ChevyNo1 is the fastest, snappiest, most responsive combination I have yet to find.

Then again, everyone's phone is different and esults may vary, but ask anyone that uses UD Extreme roms and they will most likely tell you that their daily rom flashing has ended and they are completely satisfied.

Good info thanks. I did try a UD ROM from the ROM manager and it had some problem on installation so I abandoned it. Don't remember the version but I'm sure it's time for another try. Current versions never stay current long ;)

jbrock98

Reaction score

Good info thanks. I did try a UD ROM from the ROM manager and it had some problem on installation so I abandoned it. Don't remember the version but I'm sure it's time for another try. Current versions never stay current long ;)

The ultimate droid roms on rom manager are old, like 2 or 3 months lol koush shouldn't even have a UD section on RM b/c it gives noobs the wrong perception of UD (y would he keep versions that old on there is a ? 4 him) but go to the actual blackdroidmod site to get newest and greatest rom lol

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
The ultimate droid roms on rom manager are old, like 2 or 3 months lol koush shouldn't even have a UD section on RM b/c it gives noobs the wrong perception of UD (y would he keep versions that old on there is a ? 4 him) but go to the actual blackdroidmod site to get newest and greatest rom lol

LOL
so, are you talking up UD and sending from your SS ROM?

:D