Interesting Idea - Multiple Homes...

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
SO idk if its been proposed on here before but here it goes (when I should be studying for my exams but oh well..)

My droid is rooted and i have it OC to 1.1 GHz on BB 7.8 (superb) but I need more than the default home. I downloaded sweeter home and bought GDE a while back before rooting and just left it on my phone bc it was a paid app (well home replacement but same thing)

I was trying out sweeter home the other day again (making my own theme bc I was bored) so i went in and cleared the default so itd ask me when I pressed the home button. Then it hit me

Why not run multiple homes?

I'm a guy who loves my widgets (and with the droids speed I can do that pretty near flawlessly) so I have the 5 pages for the main home page filled with multiple widgets (when i say many I mean pure calendar, pure grid calendar, audio manager, facebook, power settings, astrid, youtube, setcpu, sportstap, and battery left)

Sweeter home is cool in the aspect that you can add springboards (kinda like tabs that show/hide certain apps) and set up you own homepages (3) ((i think)) the way you want so I'm about halfway done with that (or you can pick someone elses theme and take the easy way out)

And GDE. I read my reviews and I liked what I saw for this a while back when I was a droidforums newb :icon_ banana: I bought it and its still customized the way i want (themed pages and what not)

So when the droid asked me what one I wanted to choose, i left it unchecked. Now I can pick which one I want to use depending on how I'm feeling/ what I wanna do at that moment.

Couple final comments
- I am OC (overclocked) so my processor does run faster (~2X) than the stock. Now as this works almost flawlessly for me, it might not for you if youre not rooted.
- Battery Life - Seems similar to what it was before but ive only been doing it like this for a few days now. Its really not like ur running all three at the same time though..

So i guess really what I posted this for is to get some peoples input/feedback. Go ahead and try it for yourself and let me know what you think (dont necessarily have to use the three I listed theres many more like Panda and home++). Any questions feel free to ask away

NOTE: Im not finished with Sweeterhome editing as of yet but once I get a chance I will put up all the screenshots of the 3 homes. The default is done and GDE is close to the way I like/want it to be so gimme a few days..
(and sorry for such a long post :) )

--Austin

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Man thats cool Ima assume you use the home switcher app.

OP
Abe21599

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

haha no i didnt know there was such a thing

but leaving the default not set is probably just as easy if not easier
(no app to click on to change just the home key)

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I did just that for a while but recently ended up checking off the original home. Now that I finally rooted the rom I flashed has 5 screens which is more than I need. I may fire up home++ again at some point but for now am all set.

dodgersrgood

Reaction score
sounds like ur thinking about the sense ui but with like each scene (i think thats what theyre called) would be something like gde or home++. ive tried doing what ur talking about but my unrooted droid cant really handle all those widgets n stuff on a couple different home apps

johall07

Reaction score
ohhh the home button you have to choose which app you want to use to complete the action of pressing the home button not a bad idea

lol sorry took me a second to figure out what the hell you were talking about i thought you meant home as in the screen, like middle left right etc...

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

haha no i didnt know there was such a thing

but leaving the default not set is probably just as easy if not easier
(no app to click on to change just the home key)

That's what I was doing for a while. In the end I started using the Home Switcher. It gives you two options. One is Launch, which takes you to the Home you selected. Pressing the Home button sends you back to default. The other is Default, which, well, you get the idea.

ViciousCircle

Android Addict
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can kinda do that with Sweeter Home. You could have a springboard setup to open your screen to have all of the stuff you want open (widgets, icons and everything), then another springboard for a different set of widgets, icons and apps.

OP
Abe21599

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You can kinda do that with Sweeter Home. You could have a springboard setup to open your screen to have all of the stuff you want open (widgets, icons and everything), then another springboard for a different set of widgets, icons and apps.

yea but springboard still has a lot of flaws with it. Once it fixes all those bugs and adds more customization Ill lean more towards that direction.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
what version of sweeterhome are you using? i've had ZERO problems with this new version.

OP
Abe21599

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
what version of sweeterhome are you using? i've had ZERO problems with this new version.

I just but the beta version off their website back on 3 or 4 days ago. I cant seem to ever get my calendar widgets to load and sometimes I try to select "choose widget" and it wont let me. Im still messing around with it so well have to see..