[Home Replacement App] Sweeter Home public Beta is out!!

EbE404

Reaction score
I just downloaded this yesterday (yeah, late to the party), and I must say I'm blown away. This is extremely impressive, and I proceeded to wasted several hours whipping up a theme (pics posted after I tweak the graphics a bit).

I really want to thank the dev for what must be an enormous amount of work, punyweakling for being an active participant in this thread and discussion, and everybody who has posted here with useful comments and helpful information.

My experience so far (unrooted Droid, 2.1) has been that the performance will begin to slow down significantly after heavy editing, but will eventually stabilize and speed back up. I have been using HomeSwitcher to toggle between SH, stock and Home++, and this seems to "wake things up" when it gets laggy. I would also suggest this for the folks that have been reporting bugs with calls, etc. I can't guarantee that it will work, but I'd be interested to hear what the different experiences are.

Just a couple of words about this and the folks that are having issues. This is still BETA software, and SH explains the ramifications of that on their page-some things are simply not going to work right. While it's frustrating to have FCs and performance issues, our experiences with those are what helps the dev create new builds and improve the product for everybody. Your suffering now will result in a better experience for everybody in the long run. Sounds kind of cold, but the reality is that is what BETA builds are all about.

Again, thanks to everybody who has shared their experiences in this thread, particularly to the folks who have uploaded themes, sent in the bug reports and offered constructive input and criticism. "This sucks" is worthless. "I don't like this, here's why and here's what I would prefer" is not only more polite, but is constructive and will help the dev provide a better product. The post above this from Corinacakes is a great example of what to do.

Looking forward to seeing where it goes!

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Here's some of my screenshots :D
No the volume bar isnt always up lol .... this is what i use when i don't want ppl to see my stuff lol. these screenshots are all on my main screen (i have 7 total screen on main but didn't screenshot all of them) all the rest of the screens are empty.
snap20100401_055802.png

snap20100401_061340.png

snap20100401_055809.png

snap20100401_060009.png

snap20100401_060131.png

PINK!! :D

EbE404

Reaction score
Corinacakes-great shots! I'm interested to know a bit more about the widgets and button icons you've got there. Very clever.

For my part, this is what I've come up with so far (bear in mind I'm still less than 24 hours into this).

I've used three of the five screens. One the one hand, I want density to avoid too much menu diving, but on the other, I want something relatively clean and task-based.

First screen is social/e-mail:

attachment.php

I'm looking for some "sexier" widgets for the weather, but I'll live for now. The bottom icons are a scrollable Custom Tray, ala Home++. This is available on all 3 screens.

Second screen is for apps and utilities, with a couple of sticky note widgets:

attachment.php

attachment.php

The 3 app buttons are launch springboards for the app categories.

There are a couple of things I would really like to be able to do with these. First, I'd like to be able to use bi-state or tri-state button icons here. I've simulated the effect with the editor, but I'm wondering if there is a way to use custom bitmaps/PNGs to achieve the same thing (button shrinks or changes state when pressed).

Second, I would really like to be able to link the app buttons as a radio group with an all-off option. That way, launching one menu would hide the other two, thus preventing multiple menus from being open at once, but still having the option to turn all of them off.

Finally, the photo/gallery screen:

attachment.php

Not much there on that one-clean and simple. If anybody has suggestions for good gallery or photo widgets, please let me know.

Just a couple of other comments. Since you cannot scroll when touching an object, I've left a strip of blank space about 1/3 up the screen, as this is normally where my finger goes when I scroll.

Also, I'm a little confused about ordering the items in the Custom Tray. I've tried a few of the options, currently it's set as "List", but I would like to manually reorder these icons.

Any suggestions or comments on any of the above are appreciated.

EbE404

Reaction score
After digging through the Sh forum and a bit of experimentation, I answered a couple of my own questions ;) (thanks to Lemon for a bit of help).

Lists A good explanation of the sorting order options is here:

SweeterHome - Icon placement in custom trays - sweeterhome.com

The punchline is, using the List option, you can manually drag around the icons in a Tray, just be careful not to drag them out of the tray or they will vanish and need to be added again-this is what I was missing.

Second, on how to create radio buttons-this is done using the Springboard Groups entry. By associating Springboards with the same Group, opening one will close the others.

Sorry if this is old news, but I thought it would be helpful to share for those that hadn't come across it yet.