HTC Rezound vs. Motorola Droid Razr vs. Samsung Galaxy Nexus

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Wow, the Rezound actually seems really good even in comparison to the competition.

cush2push

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
im going nexus only because its stock android out of the box i really like the razr's looks but blur is a deal breaker for me i dont follow the thought process to put a os over a os like moto and htc did

R

RETG

The larger the opening, the more light that can enter for the same shutter speed. The better to stop movement and any shaking; however, it also means less will be in focus when the photo is taken. One example is portrait photographers will use a 2.8 or larger opening to focus in on one subject (example a bride) and this makes her nice and sharp, with the surrounding blurred. (The human eye is attracted to the sharpest subject...the bride). However, landscape photographers tend to use higher F number (smaller openings in the lens) in order to get more items in focus.

But without the F-stop numbers from Moto and Samsung, this number does not mean much when comparing the phones. They could be the same for all we know. But there is a heck of a lot more involved than just the f-stop such as what sensors are used.

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
im going nexus only because its stock android out of the box i really like the razr's looks but blur is a deal breaker for me i dont follow the thought process to put a os over a os like moto and htc did

Well there you have it! If cush is getting Nexus I am all over it! cushzero on the GN :p

Seriously though, I am liking the idea of the GN because well ... it a Nexus!! Timely updates to Google's pride and joy device. Oh, and ICS doesn't hurt either :D

TheOldFart

Reaction score
The larger the opening, the more light that can enter for the same shutter speed. The better to stop movement and any shaking; however, it also means less will be in focus when the photo is taken. One example is portrait photographers will use a 2.8 or larger opening to focus in on one subject (example a bride) and this makes her nice and sharp, with the surrounding blurred. (The human eye is attracted to the sharpest subject...the bride). However, landscape photographers tend to use higher F number (smaller openings in the lens) in order to get more items in focus.

But without the F-stop numbers from Moto and Samsung, this number does not mean much when comparing the phones. They could be the same for all we know. But there is a heck of a lot more involved than just the f-stop such as what sensors are used.

F-stop vs DOF is significant with large frame cameras, like DSLRs. That is because they use relatively long focal length lenses. The smaller the frame and the shorter the focal length, the greater the DOF for a certain focus distance. With the small sensor and short focal length lens in a phone camera, the DOF will be very large compared to even the smaller digital cameras and pretty much a non-issue. The main problem with small sensor cameras is not sufficient DOF, but not being able to shorten the DOF to concentrate on the subject as in your bride example.

As you said, the type of sensor could make a greater difference than the f-stop of the lens. How large are the individual sensors in the CCD (I doubt any would use CMOS). This will determine the noise level, especially at low light. That is why small sensors with less megapixels often result in better photo quality.

By the way, I'm not writing this to explain to you, as it is obvious that you understand it.

jcardona1

Reaction score
F-stop vs DOF is significant with large frame cameras, like DSLRs. That is because they use relatively long focal length lenses. The smaller the frame and the shorter the focal length, the greater the DOF for a certain focus distance. With the small sensor and short focal length lens in a phone camera, the DOF will be very large compared to even the smaller digital cameras and pretty much a non-issue. The main problem with small sensor cameras is not sufficient DOF, but not being able to shorten the DOF to concentrate on the subject as in your bride example.

As you said, the type of sensor could make a greater difference than the f-stop of the lens. How large are the individual sensors in the CCD (I doubt any would use CMOS). This will determine the noise level, especially at low light. That is why small sensors with less megapixels often result in better photo quality.

By the way, I'm not writing this to explain to you, as it is obvious that you understand it.

Bingo! It's impossible to relate aperture and DOF between DSLRs and cell phones/P&S for the reasons you mentioned. Even with a large aperture (small f-number), the DOF on a cell phone will be as long as a school bus!

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

King_Bean

Reaction score
Because I love Sense and HTC phones, I want to wait and see how HTC incorporates ICS into Sense before I get a new phone. So it looks like I'll be waiting for a while.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Not crazy about HTC phones. They never really look bad, but nothing about them ever seems to really jump out at me design-wise. For instance the RAZR has the whole tough and thin thing going for it, right now the Nexus has it's vanilla-ness, NFC, ICS and whatnot. Other than a faster processor and Beats, what is really unique about the Rezound that would differentiate it from other phones? I'm still with the RAZR/GN - tough choice. Looks like I'm going to have to endure the bombardment of the Verizon sales goons for sure. Normally I like to buy a phone online but when choosing between the RAZR's sleekness vs the GN's stock Android and advanced features, I'll definitely want to play with them for a while before I take the plunge.

wolstonc

Reaction score
Rezound has the best specs, but once again a far too small battery. Nexus it is. Razr is my 2nd choice, only to be chosen if the nexus has horrendus battery life and the razr does not... But Dang I want the nexus... No bloat... Ics... Vanilla... Jrc... Nexus update schedule...

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

loki993

Reaction score
I didnt know a camera became a major selling point. I never heard one mention of a zero shudder lag camera before they announced it on the GN. Now its a must have feature?

Rezound has the best specs, but once again a far too small battery. Nexus it is. Razr is my 2nd choice, only to be chosen if the nexus has horrendus battery life and the razr does not... But Dang I want the nexus... No bloat... Ics... Vanilla... Jrc... Nexus update schedule...

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Its only about 150mah less then the Razr, does that make a big difference?

Jradish

Reaction score
I didnt know a camera became a major selling point. I never heard one mention of a zero shudder lag camera before they announced it on the GN. Now its a must have feature?

That because Sammy raised the bar higher than anyone thought was possible with an Android phone.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Let's say two months down the road....RAZR and Rezound are both unlocked - is the Nexus still the best phone of the 3? Other than the camera, I say it would rank 3rd. The developer community could be a material factor in choosing, but I believe the RAZR and Rezound are both going to be unlocked sooner rather than later. And once they get ICS I'm not sure I really even care if the phone is unlocked.

Anyway, spec-wise these 3 phones are very, very close. You almost have to take a wait-and-see approach to determine if one or two have serious bugs, otherwise pretty much a toss-up as far as choosing.

diggy488

Reaction score

For me, the camera is one of the features that really drew me to the phone, among several other goodies. I have 2 young kids and I'm constantly using my phone for pictures and video, especially while we're out and about. Several times they've done something picture/video worthy where I was so glad to have my phone with me. So the zero shutter lag is a huge benefit for moments where the kids won't hold the pose for more than a second!