HTC EVO 3D vs Thunderbolt

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
As a Verizon customer and owner of the Thunderbolt, I have no problem admitting that on paper the Evo 3D is a superior phone. Every carrier has at least one manufacturer that makes their high end phones. HTC does it for Sprint, and Motorola does it for Verizon.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I love the heck out of my phone and surely wouldn't trade it in for a dual core processor phone, which is going to be phased out faster than it was introduced. If you factor in the known fact that HTC phones get horrible battery life compared to the competition and combine that with a power hungry dual core processor, it pretty much spells disaster. Carriers aside the Evo 3D should be a fine piece of equipment, but right now the Android community is starting to focus on the Thunderbolt because it's the closest current phone that has the same type of potential as the OG. Even when the Bionic releases, it won't ever build up enough steam to catch the Thunderbolt because it's too locked down.

OP
J

jeremycnly

Reaction score
When you were typing that... did you think that it made sense? I don't think that anyone is really buying an LTE phone to improve web page loading time... I don't think I have seen a single advertisement that says "BUY and LTE device cuz it loads web pages like awesome!"... The real difference is downloading large files or uploading a video, etc.

Personally, I bought it for faster speeds when tethering. It's literally twice as fast as my cable internet speed and since I am a web developer I do alot of uploading. I can upload at around 100k/sec with cable... compare that with 700-800k/sec when tethered.

Another great feature of the LTE phones (on Verizon anyway) is that I can now use the internet while I am on the phone... so when I get a call any downloads or uploads are not interrupted. AT&T has had that capability forever but their network SUCKS here... so it's nice to have that ability on Verizon now.

Another benefit of the faster speed is that I can listen to a 128k radio stream and browse facebook or the web or whatever. I can't do that on my Droid because there isn't enough bandwidth and the stream cuts out.

Which ultimately proves my point, u didn't buy the phone for its hardware specs. You bought it for the LTE capabilities. 250 dollars for a fast internet connection....No thanks. If u ever venture out of that LTE range your phone becomes just like all the other phones on the market with older specs. That's why I want to get the Evo 3d because even without the 4g its still extraordinary. IMO
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Last edited:

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Jeremy you aren't going to win this argument on thunderbolt forum. The odds are against you from the get go.

Sent from Tapatalk on Thunderbolt

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Agreed, he can argue until his face turns blue but he is fighting a loosing battle.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
J

jeremycnly

Reaction score
Jeremy you aren't going to win this argument on thunderbolt forum. The odds are against you from the get go.

Sent from Tapatalk on Thunderbolt

Lol, I know. I do like the Thunderbolt, really, and if given to me I would enjoy it, but I (keyword is "I") could never justify my purchase. I've played around with the phone and I can tell that the phone was made first and they waited for the network to develop to release it, reason for the below average hardware specs. I'm rambling..... I didn't want to turn this into a bashing thread.

Pumaro

Reaction score
When you were typing that... did you think that it made sense? I don't think that anyone is really buying an LTE phone to improve web page loading time... I don't think I have seen a single advertisement that says "BUY and LTE device cuz it loads web pages like awesome!"... The real difference is downloading large files or uploading a video, etc.

Personally, I bought it for faster speeds when tethering. It's literally twice as fast as my cable internet speed and since I am a web developer I do alot of uploading. I can upload at around 100k/sec with cable... compare that with 700-800k/sec when tethered.

Another great feature of the LTE phones (on Verizon anyway) is that I can now use the internet while I am on the phone... so when I get a call any downloads or uploads are not interrupted. AT&T has had that capability forever but their network SUCKS here... so it's nice to have that ability on Verizon now.

Another benefit of the faster speed is that I can listen to a 128k radio stream and browse facebook or the web or whatever. I can't do that on my Droid because there isn't enough bandwidth and the stream cuts out.

Which ultimately proves my point, u didn't buy the phone for its hardware specs. You bought it for the LTE capabilities. 250 dollars for a fast internet connection....No thanks. If u ever venture out of that LTE range your phone becomes just like all the other phones on the market with older specs. That's why I want to get the Evo 3d because even without the 4g its still extraordinary. IMO
Actually even venturing outside of the 4G LTE zone the Thunderbolt is still awesome as you can still surf and talk and tether even on 3G. Phones on paper are cool but you can't really use them can you lol!

Pumaro

Reaction score
Sprints 4g cant penetrate buildings, and our's can. Thunderbolt FTW.

This is my thunderbolt talking...

Interesting point you make there...
I have a problem in my building with Verizon. ATT has great reception in the middle of the building, but VZW drops to zero.

I called VZW one day, and they said CDMA signals have a hard time penetrating buildings, compared to GSM. She also tried to justify it by saying something about CDMA being more secure, its a tradeoff, etc. etc.

So is a 4G signal better at penetrating walls than a 3G signal?

Well it has to do with Mhz. Sprint wimax uses 2500 Mhz while LTE uses 700 Mhz. The lower the Mhz the better the penetration

Good point most of Verizon's 3G network is 700mhz also. Which is why it penetrates buildings better overall.

jaybuc

Reaction score

Actually even venturing outside of the 4G LTE zone the Thunderbolt is still awesome as you can still surf and talk and tether even on 3G. Phones on paper are cool but you can't really use them can you lol!

Agree..its super fast...i am loving mine most iusses are blown way out of proportion

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

jaybuc

Reaction score

You are wrong...the thunderbolt is fast regardless of 3g or 4g..the screen response to the loading of apps to playing video..i could go on and on.....so if you knew what you were talking about it much more then internet

OP
J

jeremycnly

Reaction score
You are wrong...the thunderbolt is fast regardless of 3g or 4g..the screen response to the loading of apps to playing video..i could go on and on.....so if you knew what you were talking about it much more then internet

You should of went on and on cause screen response and loading of apps are the worst ways to judge a phone's hardware. Thunderbolt is impressive, but once apps start taking advantage of the dual core processors that are starting to pop up you will be able to tell the difference. I'm going to wait to see what's on the horizon, not just the Evo 3d but all else. Hope they improve on battery life for these phones cause if they're anything like the Thunderbolts I will stay with this phone....

Btw I know about the procedures to improve battery life on any phone but it shouldn't be crap to begin with.

Zetsumei

Reaction score
If contracts were a non issue, which one would you choose?

HTC EVO 3D:
1080p Video
Android 2.3
4.3" 540 x 960 Screen
1.2 Ghz Dualcore processor
1Gb Ram
Two 5MP Cameras on back + One FF Camera

Thunderbolt
720p Video
Android 2.2
4.3" 480x 800 Screen
1 Ghz Singlecore processor
768Mb Ram
8MP Camera + FF camera

Just wanted an opinion from u HTC'ers and Sense(ers?) Out there...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums Ap54p

I've read that the evo 3d is just a single core as well, but 1.2 base. My friend has the evo at work and stock evo vs stock tbolt the scores were a bit higher on the tbolt. Linpack was approx 5-10 mflops higher. Screen looks better, kick stand is better etc. The major factor for this phone is the fact that the bootloader wasn't as heavily locked as the upcoming bionics. The fact that we can use 3G + voice at the same time while on CDMA w/ the tbolt was also another winner for me.

Last edited:

jaybuc

Reaction score

You should of went on and on cause screen response and loading of apps are the worst ways to judge a phone's hardware. Thunderbolt is impressive, but once apps start taking advantage of the dual core processors that are starting to pop up you will be able to tell the difference. I'm going to wait to see what's on the horizon, not just the Evo 3d but all else. Hope they improve on battery life for these phones cause if they're anything like the Thunderbolts I will stay with this phone....

Btw I know about the procedures to improve battery life on any phone but it shouldn't be crap to begin with.

We are talking about user interaction..i can post some bench mark test if you like...have you ever used the phone longer then opening pics in the stor?

Reaction score

If your waiting to see whats over the horizon, then you will be waiting forever. New phones come out every month, along with their new hardware.