HTC EVO 3D vs Thunderbolt

leonozug

Reaction score
People on here are always trying to compare their phone to phones that aren't even out. How can you say the Thunderbolt is better than the Evo 3D? The new Evo isn't even released yet. All we've seen is videos of the 3D in it's early stages. Do you really think that's enough to go on? You can't compare the two unless you have a finished final production Evo 3D in one hand and your Thunderbolt in another. When that time comes it'll be answered. Until then, it can't be answered. Why bother asking? Is it just to make you guys feel confident your phone isn't outdated and slow compared to the new models coming out? That seems to be what I'm getting from the answers people are posting in here. Too funny.

slinky

Reaction score
I live in a major city. Verizon's marketing about the network being more "reliable" up the yin yang is just not true. That only comes into play when they pull out that big map of the US and then you want to go between major points in certain areas. It's a lot of hooey for the most part and your issues with Sprint will be minimal, at best.

The reason why some networks do better than others depends upon their technology. There are pros and cons to CDMA v. GSM as well as the frequency which they are on. Those will do better/worse for things like distance v. penetration and there usually is a trade off.

vzdroid13

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Thunderbolt is likely to get the new Sense like on the 3D.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

slinky

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Thunderbolt is likely to get the new Sense like on the 3D.
Negative. Apparently Verizon sold us technology that was outdated from the release date. HTC dropped the bomb that the THunderbolt wouldn't be supported 3 weeks after the launch date. Amazing.

52brandon

Reaction score
If both phones were available on VZW, and I had an open contract, and the kernel source was out for both, I'd take the EVO 3D absolutely no question. Even without the kernel source, 99.9% the EVO 3D. I believe on its release date, it will be the greatest smartphone to be released. And I AM very happy with my thunderbolt by the way

52brandon

Reaction score

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

If you're rooted, sense 3.0 is being ported to the thunderbolt on xda now...

OP
J

jeremycnly

Reaction score
If both phones were available on VZW, and I had an open contract, and the kernel source was out for both, I'd take the EVO 3D absolutely no question. Even without the kernel source, 99.9% the EVO 3D. I believe on its release date, it will be the greatest smartphone to be released. And I AM very happy with my thunderbolt by the way

That's what I'm saying the thunderbolt is a good phone but for it JUST being released and multiple dual core phones being released within weeks of it.... I can't justify a purchase for me. The thunderbolt is already overshadowed by the underestimated G2X on Tmobile. Beast of a damn phone right there... the sad thing is I hear people paying full price (damn near $600 aka rent money for me at least) for 4g... Ridiculous!
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

shneeko6

Reaction score
After reading that the bionic was canned, I bought the tbolt as an upgrade from my og Droid. I love this phone...no regrets. No dual core, no worry. At least for now ;)

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

52brandon

Reaction score

That's what I'm saying the thunderbolt is a good phone but for it JUST being released and multiple dual core phones being released within weeks of it.... I can't justify a purchase for me. The thunderbolt is already overshadowed by the underestimated G2X on Tmobile. Beast of a damn phone right there... the sad thing is I hear people paying full price (damn near $600 aka rent money for me at least) for 4g... Ridiculous!
true, but the phone does work very well. And it is still VZW's only 4G phone and God only knows how long the rest will be pushed back (likely because of more battery issues from 4G that verizon doesn't want to include kleenex with the phones)

OP
J

jeremycnly

Reaction score
true, but the phone does work very well. And it is still VZW's only 4G phone and God only knows how long the rest will be pushed back (likely because of more battery issues from 4G that verizon doesn't want to include kleenex with the phones)

Oh yea trust me the LTE network is very tempting but I'm a MAJOR hardware spec whore and the thunderbolt doesn't provide the specs I'm looking 4 to upgrade. We aren't all the same though, the thunderbolt may be lacking in my perspective but a dream in someone elses, if it had dual core it would be in my hands now.

When I buy a phone I'm looking for it to be somewhat future proof for at least a year, the thunderbolt to me feels like a filler between last gen and next gen hardware.

Last edited:

52brandon

Reaction score

Oh yea trust me the LTE network is very tempting but I'm a MAJOR hardware spec whore and the thunderbolt doesn't provide the specs I'm looking 4 to upgrade. We aren't all the same though, the thunderbolt may be lacking in my perspective but a dream in someone elses, if it had dual core it would be in my hands now.

When I buy a phone I'm looking for it to be somewhat future proof for at least a year, the thunderbolt to me feels like a filler between last gen and next gen hardware.
fair point, I would imagine a dual-core LTE phone will get horrendous battery life for a while and suspect that may be why we havent seen one yet though. Besides, you may want to wait til the end of the year if the processor cores are what's holding you back. There's supposed to be a quad-core for christmas. But with how much internet I use, I didnt wanna risk it going tiered (which logically would happen around the same time as the iphone5, if it happens at all) so I got in on it as soon as they released the kernel source. Since custom kernels made my droid run circles around "better" phones

OP
J

jeremycnly

Reaction score
fair point, I would imagine a dual-core LTE phone will get horrendous battery life for a while and suspect that may be why we havent seen one yet though. Besides, you may want to wait til the end of the year if the processor cores are what's holding you back. There's supposed to be a quad-core for christmas. But with how much internet I use, I didnt wanna risk it going tiered (which logically would happen around the same time as the iphone5, if it happens at all) so I got in on it as soon as they released the kernel source. Since custom kernels made my droid run circles around "better" phones

Yeah, but if Verizon really wanted to introduce the public to LTE, they've would of wanted a dual core phone to launch it off of. I don't know why everyone thinks dual cores means double the power consumption, not at all! In fact it should balance the power load and save battery life as well as increase efficiency, I don't know what they hell they where thinking to not include a dual core chipset. Also I seen the quad core prototypes from one of the earlier conventions and in a word, Damn. Though I'm not holding my breath for a late 2011 quad core phone release, I'm expecting a something in the summer of 2012.

jaybuc

Reaction score

Yeah, but if Verizon really wanted to introduce the public to LTE, they've would of wanted a dual core phone to launch it off of. I don't know why everyone thinks dual cores means double the power consumption, not at all! In fact it should balance the power load and save battery life as well as increase efficiency, I don't know what they hell they where thinking to not include a dual core chipset. Also I seen the quad core prototypes from one of the earlier conventions and in a word, Damn. Though I'm not holding my breath for a late 2011 quad core phone release, I'm expecting a something in the summer of 2012.

Ok so you get dual core...what apps will take advantage? Please tell me the huge advantage over thr TB. The thunerbolt is wicked fast rootable beast

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums