[How To:] Root Your Droid 3

Cdjones187

Reaction score
They never FIX your phone with insurance anyway, you get a refurb. So whats the difference of sending in a working phone or a smashed phone?

pieces** btw =]

FinalTrigger

Reaction score
When I go into Root manager and i flash clockwork mod recovery, the droid 3 does not show up as a phone model

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
That is because there is not a compatable custom recovery for the Droid 3. For now, I would be VERY carefull what you do to this phone. there's already a thread elsewhere with someone SCREAMING for an .sbf file since he (they) nose dived into their phone and have already rendered them un-useable.

PLEASE people, do NOT delete ANYTHING!!! I repeat DO NOT ELETE ANYTHING FROM /system. If you must, either rename it from .apk to .bak or use the 'freeze' function within TiBu (I personally would do the former). This is the same advice we gave and took when root was first found for the Droid 1 and before a reliable custom recovery was created.

FinalTrigger

Reaction score
So is there is no way to back up the current rom? if im understanding correct.

technogeek00

Reaction score
I figured out why I am losing root access on reboot. The default.props file keeps getting written over so the line "ro.sys.atvc_allow_all_adb=1" gets returned to "ro.sys.atvc_allow_all_adb=0" on every single reboot.
Anybody have an idea why?
If anything I can change the file back to what its suppose to be after each reboot but that is quite a pain.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
I figured out why I am losing root access on reboot. The default.props file keeps getting written over so the line "ro.sys.atvc_allow_all_adb=1" gets returned to "ro.sys.atvc_allow_all_adb=0" on every single reboot.
Anybody have an idea why?
If anything I can change the file back to what its suppose to be after each reboot but that is quite a pain.

If you are losing root on your phone after a reboot, then you haven't put the su binary into /system/xbin and chmod to 6755 PLUS haven't put the Superuser.apk file into /system. If you mean that you don't have root when hooked up to your pc and then opening adb shell, try typing in the command 'su' while in adb shell. You should then be presented with the '#' cursor.

good luck

drjorge

Reaction score
idk if i rooted my d3, i used the adb method( the one thats not the on click... new-host-2:platform-tools iqbalquadir$ ./adb shell
shell@cdma_solana:/$ rm /data/local/12m
shell@cdma_solana:/$ mv /data/local/12m.bak /data/local/12m
shell@cdma_solana:/$ mv /data/local.prop /data/local.prop.bak
shell@cdma_solana:/$ echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_netmon_usb=0" > /data/local.prop
shell@cdma_solana:/$ echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_netmon_ih=0" >> /data/local.prop
shell@cdma_solana:/$ echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_res_core=0" >> /data/local.prop
shell@cdma_solana:/$ echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_res_panic=0" >> /data/local.prop
shell@cdma_solana:/$ echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_all_adb=1" >> /data/local.prop
shell@cdma_solana:/$ echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_all_core=0" >> /data/local.prop
shell@cdma_solana:/$ echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_efem=0" >> /data/local.prop
shell@cdma_solana:/$ echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_bp_log=0" >> /data/local.prop
shell@cdma_solana:/$ echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_ap_mot_log=0" >> /data/local.prop
shell@cdma_solana:/$ echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_gki_log=0" >> /data/local.prop
shell@cdma_solana:/$ new-host-2:platform-tools iqbalquadir$ ./adb shell
root@cdma_solana:/#
root@cdma_solana:/# ./adb install
./adb: not found
root@cdma_solana:/# ./adb root
./adb: not found
root@cdma_solana:/# new-host-2:platform-tools iqbalquadir$

thats wat i did...

am i rooted cuz it says im not rooted

Last edited:

licotto

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum, but I have come across this article today that shows how to root what seems to be ANY Motorola phone running Gingerbread:

[ROOT] Droid 3 root instructions (One Click added for Windows/ Linux/ OSX) don't know if this is new news on here -I did a quick scan-thru of the posts here but didn't notice anything listed...my apologies upfront if I doubled-up on the news!

I'm currently on a DX2, but have wanted to swap to a Droid3 -I'm thinking this may finally allow me!

BluPhire

Reaction score
So I've followed the steps, and i'd ASSume im only "Soft Rooted" since i cant use Barnicle WiFi Tether or any other "root" apps. Within the ./adb, the last line in my Terminal reads:

what do i do now?

Thanks

*EDIT*

Using a Mac btw ;p

And this is where my SU.apk is located:

Users/matthewkruger/Superuser.apk

I'd like a dummy-proof command line to put in after "root@cdma_solana:/#"

thanks

Last edited:

Yonnor

I r Teh Greetest
Reaction score
So I've followed the steps, and i'd ASSume im only "Soft Rooted" since i cant use Barnicle WiFi Tether or any other "root" apps. Within the ./adb, the last line in my Terminal reads:

what do i do now?

Thanks

*EDIT*

Using a Mac btw ;p

And this is where my SU.apk is located:

Users/matthewkruger/Superuser.apk

I'd like a dummy-proof command line to put in after "root@cdma_solana:/#"

thanks

Tethering doesn't work at this time with 2.3.4.

Best bet would be to try again and talk to the RootzWiki guy who made the 1-click method

Sent via Optimus Prime