[How To:] Root Your Droid 3

LT*

Reaction score
Just a quick ? Is this still the preferred and best method to root the D3? Just want to make sure I'm using the most recent files.

Tx

uconn_jack

Reaction score
I tried to use psouza4's one click root, but I keep getting an unhandled exception error. I double checked the instructions and believe I am following them correctly, but to to avail. I am using XP, but using his tools for Windows 7 first as instructed. He does have a script specifically for XP in case the Windows 7 tool does not work, but I see that it does not have an unroot or restore option.

Am I missing something that is causing this error, or will I have to use the special XP one? If so, how do I unroot if necessary? He indictaes that the Windows 7 tool should work for most XP users, I wonder what makes some (and apparantly mine) not work, unless this error is something unrelated.

Any input would be appreciated. This is my first foray into android from Windows Mobile, so I am quite (obviously) a noob.

Thanks!

dolph27

Reaction score
Root 5.7.894???

Is there any way to root 5.7.894?
I stupidly lost my root while updating on leaked OTA.:icon_evil:

Glen4X4

Reaction score
Well folks I ran into an issue. I've had my Droid3 replaced for the second time and now with Pete's one click tool it is no long completing step 3. Do any of you have any insight to this issue? Thanks

EDIT: After more research I found that Motorola changed the Version number of our phones and therefore Pete's root does not work with the newish system. Now for an easy root you must search "Motofail root" and download a command prompt type program.

Last edited:

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Well folks I ran into an issue. I've had my Droid3 replaced for the second time and now with Pete's one click tool it is no long completing step 3. Do any of you have any insight to this issue? Thanks
The Droid 3's latest update requires you to use the motofail exploit for the Droid 4. The root method is by the same person (Dan Rosenberg) just Pete never got around to writing a utility that uses it like he did after Dan released the first root method for the Droid 3.

Just search Droid 4 motofail.

pdiddybuck

Reaction score
Will motofail work on the motorola electrify from u.s.cellular? The reason I asked here is because I can't find any form of 1-click root for it anywhere, its like the phone doesn't exist.

DKDroid3

Reaction score
issues with new phone

Had a Droid3 since last Dec. it was rooted, safestrap, radio hack, all working fine and then boom phone froze last Sunday pulled the battery and wouldn't get past the duo core splash screen on reboot.

Now I received a new phone today Android version 2.3.4 system ver. 5.7.906 now safestrap forecloses when I try to install and after my radio hack was applied it connects to my network but browser won't navigate.

Anyone have any suggestions??

Fr33dom

Reaction score
This thread is out of date and probably should no longer be a sticky post--or perhaps the beining of the thread can be updated.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Lot's of that around here and elsewhere. Should see how out of date the stickies are for the Droid 1.

Reaction score
This thread is out of date and probably should no longer be a sticky post--or perhaps the beining of the thread can be updated.

This thread may be out of date, but to those helpless souls who've wandered back to the last page - HOPE DOES EXIST!

I have been rooting my phone and breaking things and getting new ones and rerooting for years now, and moto has gotten pretty tricky with their bootloaders, and what we the consumers need to keep in mind is that our phones arent necessarily supposed to do this.

That being said, my new rule of thumb (after FINALLY gaining root this time) is to always treat your phone like youve never rooted it before - computer too.

This means - uninstall and reinstall moto drivers
delete and redownload and unzip the currently working root tool (@ this time its motofail or zergrush {doomlord} that can both be found on xda or through a google search)
use a usb port on the back of your computer
restart phone and computer directly before trying to root

I was getting failure after failure while i did all these things again and again, and my problem was this -

INSTALL YOUR ROOT TOOL TO A FOLDER PLACED ON THE DESKTOP

I dont know why, but when i had it placed on or two subfolders down it seemed to fail every time, and as a last resort i redownloaded and unzipped the file into a different directory (unwittingly) and WALA! worked perfectly.

I was on stock .906:icon_eek: