[How To:] Root Your Droid 3

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
@ drjorge and BluPhire: Yes, you have 'soft root'. When you see in the prompt "root" instead of "shell" and your cursor has changed from $ to #, that means you are running as root. Now you need to follow woodyman's post in #8 of this thread, get his file that contains BOTH su and Superuser.apk and put them in the correct places and set the permissions.

Specifically, take su and Superuser.apk and put them on your computer in the same location as ADB. Then once you get to the root@cdma_solana:/# prompt, do these commands:
Code:
mount -o remount,rw /dev/null /system
exit
adb push su /system/xbin
abd push Superuser.apk /system/app
adb shell
chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su
mount -o remount,ro /dev/null /system
reboot

good luck

Last edited:

drjorge

Reaction score
it worked thanks but in your code (mount -o remount,ro /dev/null /sytem) system is spelled wrong,

americanz

Reaction score
any one know if this works for ota gb?? i am part of the soak test for d2. just got it tonight. think i may give it a try tomorrow... any thoughts?

americanz

Reaction score
is there a one touch method yet? this seems like a lot of work lol

americanz

Reaction score
Ok I got the one touch. Just wondering. Is there an unroot method?

Sent from my D2 GB Apex 2.0 @1.4ghz

aramos87

Reaction score
Yes it was

Well I'm going to hope that it works for my D3, haha. Ive seen posts of ppl having success with this method, but also ones that havent. I guess I'll just take the plunge and see. thanks.

americanz

Reaction score
Yeah its easy. But im still hoping its as easy to undo

aramos87

Reaction score
Yeah its easy. But im still hoping its as easy to undo

We arent going to be able to undo it until and SBF file comes out for it... lets hope soon.. I have decided to wait to root my D3 to see if/when an OTA comes out.. and would like an SBF out first also in case something goes wrong.

hufn

Reaction score
Tethering doesn't work at this time with 2.3.4.

Best bet would be to try again and talk to the RootzWiki guy who made the 1-click method

Sent via Optimus Prime

The third parties I believe do not work, however you can get teether. I used this and it works very well.. Sometimes doesn't connect right away but I have had very few problems.

Check this post - directions are verynstraight forward just follow to the letter...

[GUIDE]TBH inspired Free wireless tethering hack instructions for Droid 3 - xda-developers

solar

Reaction score
I read all the explanations given by woodyman, Dan Rosenberg and Pete (from rootzwiki). Very cool information. I'm glad I was able to read up on how it works before I did it. I used the one-click (pete's motorola root tools) and it worked flawlessly. I read the original commands then looked at the script in the one-click tools, which were the same, but just save you tons of time on typing commands. Thanks to everyone who worked on this. I'll need to gather info to donate some $ to those involved. My D3 feels whole again w/ root!
:icon_ banana: