[HACKS] [HOW-TO] Install Safestrap and Create a Backup

dmg

Reaction score
Ok.
Uninstall the apk.
Go into superuser and remove the entry for d3safestrap.
Reinstall and make it re request su.
Sent from my Safestrapped, Rooted, ROM'd XT862

There aren't any logs for D3safestrap inside of superuser all I have in there is root explorer and drocap. I believe that the safestrap has never actually had the chance to request SU before it force closes.

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It should once you run it the first time. Let me look.

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes. The first time the program is opened it should be requesting root.

I think that's where the issue lies.

dmg

Reaction score
Yes. The first time the program is opened it should be requesting root.
I think that's where the issue lies.

Is there anything that can be done if safestrap isn't asking for SU permissions? Do i have to restore my phone to stock and then reinstall or no? I don't know what else to try but i would prefer to not have to restore =/. Let me know if there is anything else i could possibly try

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there anything that can be done if safestrap isn't asking for SU permissions? Do i have to restore my phone to stock and then reinstall or no? I don't know what else to try but i would prefer to not have to restore =/. Let me know if there is anything else i could possibly try

Sorry, been busy. Have you updated superuser app, or the binary?

Make sure other root apps are requesting. Try root checker in market.

lotzakritters

Reaction score
Yes immediatley after i try and open safestrap it force closes. I then go back and try and hit the application icon again to start it however I get the same force close notice.
I have never gotten past the safestrap loading screen because it force closes immediately.
I've downloaded the apk form hascode's site directly onto my phone, i have tried putting it through dropbox to no avail. I download the APK install it and right when i hit open it force closes

I had the same thing happen to me the 1st time I tried to install safestrap. It was because the recovery from the bootstrap wasn't removed, like I thought. This is what worked for me. Reinstalled bootstrap and recovery, reboot. I then opened superuser and deleted bootstrap, uninstall tweaked bootstrap, rebooted and install safestrap. Try that and see it helps.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

dmg

Reaction score
Sorry, been busy. Have you updated superuser app, or the binary?

Make sure other root apps are requesting. Try root checker in market.

I'm an idiot i hadn't updated SU that was the issue Safestrap installed perfectly fine and i now can install the recovery. Plan on following your directions once i get home thank you for the assistance.

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Glad you got it!

fishacura

Reaction score
I haven't done this yet but probably will this coming weekend. Quick question on safestrap. I know some roms (CM7) would only work with safestrap and not with the tweaked bootstrap. Is the reverse true (some won't work with safestrap)? Or will all ROMs work fine with safestrap?

thesmackdown

Reaction score
I am just getting a black screen after I start Safestrap on bootup by hitting the menu key. Any ideas?

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I haven't done this yet but probably will this coming weekend. Quick question on safestrap. I know some roms (CM7) would only work with safestrap and not with the tweaked bootstrap. Is the reverse true (some won't work with safestrap)? Or will all ROMs work fine with safestrap?

Sorry I missed this. I'm using BioWeaponX and it works fine on Safestrap. I believe everything does except Liberty without modifying the zip file.

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am just getting a black screen after I start Safestrap on bootup by hitting the menu key. Any ideas?

Should only be a few seconds. Does it say safestrap installed when you are in the app? Did it ask for SU permissions on open?

thesmackdown

Reaction score
Should only be a few seconds. Does it say safestrap installed when you are in the app? Did it ask for SU permissions on open?

When I enter the app it says Recovery State is Installed and Safe System Not Active. It did ask SU for permissions. I have tried an uninstall/reinstall and it did the same. I let it sit for about 10 minutes and it just hung.

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can you power off and boot into it from the failsafe? Slide keyboard, hold 'm' + power. Select bptools. He said that method was still available.

Also, try rebooting, and just load right into the OS then flash it again in the app.

It does give the splash screen though yes?

thesmackdown

Reaction score
Can you power off and boot into it from the failsafe? Slide keyboard, hold 'm' + power. Select bptools. He said that method was still available.

Also, try rebooting, and just load right into the OS then flash it again in the app.

It does give the splash screen though yes?

When I do the bptools it just hangs on the Dual Core screen.

I do get the Safestrap splash screen on boot.

What should I flash in the app?