[HOW-TO] Remove Hashcode's tweaked D3Bootstrap

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Droid 3 took a while to get rooted, but it has been constantly developed on since.

If you jumped on the bandwagon early, Hashcode (www.hash-of-codes.com) created a bootstrap app that installed Clockworkmod Recovery. It was very simple and only allowed rebooting from the app to flash or backup. Then Koush came along and threw his hat in the table and made his own, available on the market. It worked with ROM Manager, but you couldn't get into it from a non working OS. Hashcode then tweaked Koush's adding the power+m BPTools method to allow the phone to boot into recovery from there. As he was tidying that up SafeStrap came into play, which in my opinion is the 'strap that's going to stay.

So if you recently came from Hashcode's tweaked D3bootstrap, this is for you.

To uninstall D3bootstrap:
1. Uninstall the app, from OS settings menu.
2. Using a file explorer with root capabilities, navigate to /system/bin
3. Find 2 files, logwrapper and logwrapper.bin
4. Delete logwrapper.
5. Rename logwrapper.bin to logwrapper
6. You are now ready to install SafeStrap.

Thanks to:
hashc0de
koush
woodyman (for help understanding the process)

phantomberry

Reaction score
So after completing those steps i go into recovery and create a internal and sd backup(noob here)?

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is removing the bootstrap, you need to follow my other guide to install the newest one.

shane1

Reaction score
i just unistalled the app then loaded safestrap. ive flashed a rom through safestrap with no problems,should i still go back and delete/rename logwrapper?

Dom1000

Reaction score
will this work for koush's bootstrap? im completely new to all of this and i want to get safestrap

i have logwrapper and logwrapper.orig would i just rename the .orig one?

Last edited:
OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
will this work for koush's bootstrap? im completely new to all of this and i want to get safestrap

i have logwrapper and logwrapper.orig would i just rename the .orig one?

That sounds like a good plan! The file seems just to be named differently.

Sent from my XT862, while on the move.

trebor_edwards

Reaction score
Every explorer I have tried wont let me delete or rename either of the logwrapper files, I am definitely rooted. Is there a good root explorer that will definately work for me?

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
'Root explorer' in market.

Sent from my Safestrapped, Rooted, ROM'd XT862

HuStLa420

Reaction score
same problem

Root explorer says -cannot delete file is read only?

I have the exact same problem as you. tried every file explorer (not all of them even find these files even with root and SU access) and i got this exact error message about read-only in root explorer (the free version not paid). These dang logwrapper and logwrapper.bin are literally the two files keeping me from running SteelDroid on my phone... grr any help/suggestions from anyone? Ive also tried moving these files around which it will let me do, but even when i cut and paste and delete them from somewhere else on the phone they always go right back to the /system/bin... even after i "cut" the file. Any Suggestions?

HuStLa420

Reaction score
You have to change the folder to read/write. Button in the top right corner.

I dont believe we have that button, think thats the paid version anyway. If its there i certainly can not see it, we are using "file explorer" or whatever the same program by the same dev is only the free version instead of the actual official 'Root explorer'

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That doesn't have root capabilities. That is why you can't delete/rename them.

HuStLa420

Reaction score
Thought you needed root capabilites just to view them? But i guess not, guidot is there any free file explorer that has root access? They all claim to but none will actually let me modify or delete the logwrapper file, despite requesting and successfully gaining root access through superuser...