[HACKS] [HOW-TO] Install Safestrap and Create a Backup

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The D3 has a 16GB internal "sdcard" and an open slot for a real sdcard. Internal "sdcard" partition is 12GB, with the rest for swap and apps.

shane1

Reaction score
i tried to restore a backup while in safe mode and it said file not found,then went through the restore process but after i tried to reboot it got stuck after the splash screen on a black screen. waited about 10 mins nothing :( so then i toggled to the unsafe and my phone restored. now if i try to go back to safe system will it work or will i be stuck still? any input would be appreciated thankyou

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you create a backup in non-safe mode, it is a non-safe mode backup. You can't flash a non-safe backup when you are in safe mode, and visa versa.

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Any chance of a layman's guide to flashing using the safe/non safe modes and/or the 1st and 2nd systems to flash a ROM?

Guys I'm working on this, but I need to get the understanding down before I go all harry cary.

shane1

Reaction score
The first back up was from safe mode but the file wasn't found. But what will happen if I go back to safe mode now?

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You will have to flash a new rom most likely if you can't boot into the other one that was installed there.

shane1

Reaction score
But I thought I needed to be in safemode to flash? Sry for the trouble stuck in. My old ways this safestrap is weird to me lol

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, non safe is for your stock rom and stock backup. Safe is for your flashing other roms and backups of those roms.

shane1

Reaction score
So I would got to safe mode then flash before boot up?

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes. Safe mode is for flashing all new roms and such. non-safe is for restoring your stock system

ndoren

Reaction score
Yes. Safe mode is for flashing all new roms and such. non-safe is for restoring your stock system

Your short comment above tells me more than I learned spending an hour reading Hash's blog. We're really looking forward to your safe-strap guide (no pressure, of course). But hurry... before Hashcode changes everything around in the next release :)

I have been a flasher since the early days of the OG Droid (OMG that didn't come out right!), and I'm still not sure what's wrong with the good old fashioned ROM flashing method we've used all along. All these safeguards and backups and protections are getting confusing to the point where we are no longer safe, protected or backed up. Neall

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks Neall.

I'm hoping to get it done this am; the wife has been very sick which has kept me busy.

Sent from my XT862, while on the move.

fishacura

Reaction score
Your short comment above tells me more than I learned spending an hour reading Hash's blog. We're really looking forward to your safe-strap guide (no pressure, of course). But hurry... before Hashcode changes everything around in the next release :)

I have been a flasher since the early days of the OG Droid (OMG that didn't come out right!), and I'm still not sure what's wrong with the good old fashioned ROM flashing method we've used all along. All these safeguards and backups and protections are getting confusing to the point where we are no longer safe, protected or backed up. Neall

+1. I have flashed several with bootstrap and I don't understand why "safestrap" is needed at all....

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about this as well as there is now one for the Bionic...is it basically a way to have a dual boot option, with one of those boots being the stock system? Thereby making it easier to return to pure stock?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about this as well as there is now one for the Bionic...is it basically a way to have a dual boot option, with one of those boots being the stock system? Thereby making it easier to return to pure stock?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

The guide is up in the D3 hacks section.

Sent from my XT862, while on the move.