[HOW TO] Fix a Completely Bricked Droid X Step-by-Step Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

berto1014

Reaction score
Just thought I should help the community here so you can save your money from sending it into Motorola..

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Required Software

1. RSDLite 4.9 RSD Lite 4.9.zip - *********** - online file sharing and storage - download

2. Latest Motorola Drivers USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

3. A Stock SBF Droid X File Link removed

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instructions

1. Install RSDLite 4.9, follow the instructions on screen.

2. Install the latest Motorola Drivers and follow on screen instructions.

3. [Important] Download and Unzip the SBF file to your desktop, or storage folder.

4. After all the above steps are complete, restart your computer.

5. Launch RSDLite and go to Cofig>DeviceID Options> and set to Automatic Device ID Mode.

6. Close RSDLite.

7. Remove battery from phone, and put the battery back in. Press and hold the Camera button, the Volume Down button, and then the Power button all at the exact same time. The screen will flash and boot the bootloader. Leave device on this screen!

8. Plug in your USB cord that came with the device, and then plug it into the computer via a USB slot that is attached to the motherboard, NOT a USB extender hub.

9. Allow your Operating System to install any further drivers before continuing.

10. Relaunch RSDLite, your device should be recognized in RSDlite.

11. In the white bar in RSDLite, search for your UNZIPPED SBF file and click it.

12. Click on your device in the Port 1 window below.

13. Click start and wait. This part will take about 10-15 minutes to reflash the ROM on your phone. Once the device boots for the first time RSDLite will tell you to manually boot it even though its at 100%. You can ignore that message and close RSDLite at this point.

14. After your device reboots, turn it off.

15. [Important] Press and hold Home and Power buttons at the same time to boot into recovery mode. Follow the on screen steps to wipe and format the device again. May take 5-10 minutes.

16. Reboot the device again. You will now be able to activate it. Just follow onscreen instructions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alternate Method

Follow this link for a Linux solution to unbricking the Droid X. I was made aware of it by bsbabcock and it was made by 1KDS.
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/d...-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congratulations, you should have now successfully repaired your broken DroidX and saved at least a $100.00 sending it to Motorola!

If you have any questions please post them below.

OP
B

berto1014

Reaction score
Hey, wow thats awesome with the linux sbf tool. I will definitely keep that in mind next time. Sounds really easy. Not to mention I've made so many Linux ISO's at this point, should be a cake walk.

bsbabcock

Reaction score
It jams.. SBF_flash has been around for a while, but newbs like me being absolutely inexperienced with setting up ubuntu or other as a dual boot or virtual machine were having issues. So he wrote an ISO scripted specifically for a DX SBF back to .340. What a guy! Outstanding. I ran the earlier first revision from an OS X iMac and it was nuthin' but a thang. Easy.

To note.. The developer that wrote the SBF_flash for linux also wrote a Mac version.. The Mac version was not shown to be safe.. Had a couple brick occurrences from it. Linux version though appears to be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.