Droid X Hacking Guide(s)

jrfarrar

Reaction score
You CAN brick the droid x. Try updating to official 2.2 then flashing sbf back to 2.1. See what happens :p

I actually just did that....had official 2.2 on my phone....somehow got out of sync by installing the clockwork recovery (I think) and got stuck at the M screen forever....eventually sbf back to 2.1....then re-root...then reinstall droid x bootstrap from market...reboot recovery....restored nandroid backup...all is well.

Fish10800

Reaction score
okay so I have a official 2.2 updated droid X that is not rooted and I wish to root it. In your guide step B you say at the end now you will have a rooted 2.1 droid. Will this method work with a 2.2 droid

NeoLogic

Reaction score
Brick means paperweight. It's always meant that...for many years a bricked device means unrecoverable. Why are people now deciding on their own to change the meaning of "bricked"?

tonyp0570

Reaction score
Has anyone tested this with a Verizon 2.2 Driod X

Will this only work with lower than 2.2?

animal67

Reaction score
Ok...Im not new to rooting. Had a rooted incredible and did amazing things with it. I am new to the X so I just want to clarify.

I have a new X with 2.2. I dont need to run step A since Im not bricked and dont need to go back to 2.1? From what Im taking...I just root it and flash a rom...correct?

fpatano

Reaction score
Ok...Im not new to rooting. Had a rooted incredible and did amazing things with it. I am new to the X so I just want to clarify.

I have a new X with 2.2. I dont need to run step A since Im not bricked and dont need to go back to 2.1? From what Im taking...I just root it and flash a rom...correct?

Yup, just root it with setup B and you will be set to go. But, I don't know specifics about the Incredible, but I came from the Original Droid and the ROMs are not the same. With the X, there is still the locked bootloader issue so you cannot install a real custom rom with a custom kernel. What we do have is Koush's Bootstrapper, which hijacks the boot process and grants access to the /system directory to customize the system. All of the X ROMs are just /system modifications which alter what is installed. Some of the tweaks are very good, but I have personally found that there is a serious shortcoming with every ROM. I would advise with the X to download JRummys Overclocking app, which includes easy access to tweaks, and customize the regular ROM to your liking.

Good Luck and have fun!

animal67

Reaction score

Yup, just root it with setup B and you will be set to go. But, I don't know specifics about the Incredible, but I came from the Original Droid and the ROMs are not the same. With the X, there is still the locked bootloader issue so you cannot install a real custom rom with a custom kernel. What we do have is Koush's Bootstrapper, which hijacks the boot process and grants access to the /system directory to customize the system. All of the X ROMs are just /system modifications which alter what is installed. Some of the tweaks are very good, but I have personally found that there is a serious shortcoming with every ROM. I would advise with the X to download JRummys Overclocking app, which includes easy access to tweaks, and customize the regular ROM to your liking.

Good Luck and have fun!

Thanks a bunch brother. After reading alot i rooted with Z4root and it was totally painless. Mad props to Ryan for creating it. I'll take your advice and DL jrummys app and see how it goes. I loved the Dinc but the X suits me better being I have big hands.

Any recommendations on customizations? Also, After rooting the wireless tether app I had on the Dinc works flawless on this!

K

kbatrph

flash failure

Disclaimer: The below method(s) can be dangerous to your device if done incorrectly. I recommend that only experienced rooters and/or members comfortable enough to use RSDLite attempt this. Neither I nor DroidForums.net shall be held responsible for bricked/damaged devices. Continue at your own risk.

Now, with that out of the way, let me explain what this guide will do. This is for users who want to know how to do the following on their Droid X;

• Root The Droid X
  • Unbrick/Unroot w/SBF
  • Install Froyo 2.2 w/Root

Per request of DF and Moto, I will not be posting links to the rooted Froyo 2.2 and/or SBF.

Required Downloads:

• RSDLite 4.7: GOOGLE
  • Droid X SBF: GOOGLE
  • Droid X 2.2 Root: GOOGLE
  • Droid X Root Program: DOWNLOAD (Windows Users Only, includes USB device drivers)
  • Droid X Bootstrap App: DOWNLOAD

Now that you have all the necessary files, let's get started!​

Step A: Using RSDLite to reset/unbrick/unroot the Droid X.

1. Install Windows 32-bit or 64-bit (Depending on your OS) Droid X USB Drivers.
  2. Install RSDLite 4.7
  3. Connect your phone to USB and turn it off. Turn your phone on and hold VOLUME DOWN and the CAMERA button.
  4. Run RSD Lite 4.7 as Administrator.
  5. Click the '...' next to the filename box and browse to where you saved the .sbf file and double click the .sbf file.
  6. Hit start and below it should give you "Completion Progress" information.
  7. Once your phone is done being flashed (It may take a while so don't unplug it) it will reboot and you will be back at stock 2.1 no root.
Step B: Rooting The Droid X.

1. Install the Droid X Root Program.
  2. Run the program as Administrator, while your Droid X is connected to USB.
  3. The program will Present itself with 2 buttons. ROOT ME and UNROOT ME. Obviously, you will select "ROOT ME".
  4. Follow the instructions the program gives you. If done correctly, you will have 2.1 rooted.
Step C: Installing A Rooted 2.2 Froyo ROM.

1. Since you are rooted, you can now proceed with preparing for installing 2.2. You will need to go to the market and download "Astro File Manager".
  2. Connect your USB on your DX and set to "USB MASS STORAGE". Once done, copy the "Bootstrapper.apk" to a directory on your SD card.
  3. While you still have the USB mounted, copy the rooted 2.2 Froyo ROM to the SD card's root. And make sure it's named "update.zip". Then unmount the USB connection.
  4. Go to settings > applications and make sure "UNKNOWN SOURCES" is checked.
  5. Open Astro File manager and locate the Bootstrapper.apk. Open and install the app.
  6. Once installed, it should be in your App menu. Open the app and select "Bootstrap Recovery". Then select "Reboot Recovery".
  7. While in recovery, navigate to install zip from sdcard. Install update.zip.
  8. Once completed, you should now have Froyo 2.2 with root.
i do EVERYTHING that this guide says, i put the sbf in My Documents, the root of C drive, anyplace that anyone suggests but RSD lite fails to flash the phone.....what else could i possibly do? i updated my phone with Simply Stunning SSX and upgraded the sbf to 2.3.15...i have tried to flash both 2.1 sbf and 2.3.15...neither will flash

FastKatt

Reaction score
Is there some kind of timing issue with this?
I'm am trying to root my wife's DX and it keeps saying Root failed

Cerin

Reaction score
How do you root the Droid X on Linux?

I tried running the procedure in DoRootForD2Linux, which claims to work for the Droid X running Android 2.2. It ended with the message "Congralations, you should now be rooted." but when I tried to run the Wifi Tethering App for root users, it told me I was still not root.

Liquid_Cow

Reaction score
Update?

Wondering if we can get an update to this thread with current versions in the OP? I want to root my X but am leary of starting it w/o knowing for sure i have all the right software versions. As I started Googling the files in the OP I found there were newer versions and I know mixing versions = brick.

Thanks for the help!

Stock Droid X currently running system 2.3.340.mb810 android 2.2.1

pandies

Reaction score
not sure i am posting this in the right place..
I have just updated my unrooted phone to GingerBread.. 2.3.3 ..
I want to root .. do I uninstall GB and go back to Froyo .. or root Gingerbread.. will i still
be able to use UD 10?
thanks for any help..
pandies