Droid X Hacking Guide(s)

1694kyle

Reaction score
But this term is used/was coined to describe software modification peril. Even in your case phones are repairable. What do you think refurbished phones are. About the only way to achieve your level of bricking is sending the phone through a wood chipper. It’s vernacular of the community. When a computer says a “fatal error” has occurred, my computer doesn’t die and become unusable. It’s still recoverable to some degree in dang near every scenario. Are you going to write Microsoft and tell them to stop using the idiom because It’s ambiguous?

BTW your link was 85% software mods to "brick" the phone, which are repairable by the manufaturer. Phones are made with 0 software and thats pretty bricked if you ask me. A couple of flashes and they are running.

Brick (electronics)
Seems I'm not the only one who thinks differently

"In the strictest sense of the term, bricking must imply that software error has rendered the device completely unrecoverable without some hardware replacement"

lol, so it's still recoverable. You're walking all over yourself.

Sorry for the debate here! It's great info!!!!

OP
NoKz

NoKz

Reaction score
I keep getting a "can't find Droid X Device" error while trying to run the DroidX Root program. The phone is connected to the computer and can be seen by the computer. It is a stock 2.1 at the moment. I click Root Me, and it goes through some drivers and gives the error. Any ideas?

I also, cannot get RSD Lite to flash SPRecovery sbf. RSD Lite is reckognizing the phone as well.
It gives "Failed flashing process.
Failed flashing process. Unable to retrieve initialization values from INI file (0x7029). Phone Connected."

I have even uninstalled moto drivers and installed the 4.6.0 that was in your drivers folder with the same results.

EDIT: I DID NOT HAVE USB DEVELOPER MODE TURNED ON ON MY DX! I've got root per your program, but still cannot get RSD Lite to install SPF RECOVERY while in bootloader mode.

If you have root, you won't need to do the SBF recovery. That will UNROOT you. All you need to do is install 2.2 and you're done.

BB1980

Reaction score
I keep getting a "can't find Droid X Device" error while trying to run the DroidX Root program. The phone is connected to the computer and can be seen by the computer. It is a stock 2.1 at the moment. I click Root Me, and it goes through some drivers and gives the error. Any ideas?

I also, cannot get RSD Lite to flash SPRecovery sbf. RSD Lite is reckognizing the phone as well.
Failed flashing process. Unable to retrieve initialization values from INI file (0x7029). Phone Connected."

I have even uninstalled moto drivers and installed the 4.6.0 that was in your drivers folder with the same results.

EDIT: I DID NOT HAVE USB DEVELOPER MODE TURNED ON ON MY DX! I've got root per your program, but still cannot get RSD Lite to install SPF RECOVERY while in bootloader mode.

If you have root, you won't need to do the SBF recovery. That will UNROOT you. All you need to do is install 2.2 and you're done.

Well, I was going to do that to make a backup of my current setup incase my rom install fails. Either way, I need RSD Lite to get a Rom on the phone, correct? And if its not transferring correctly, I can't get a ROM flashed over.

OP
NoKz

NoKz

Reaction score
No, you don't need RSD Lite to get a ROM on the phone. You only need it for the following reasons:

1. You updated, lost root and are unable to obtain root. So you use RSDL to revert back to the rootable 2.1
  2. You screw the recovery up and cannot boot the phone into recovery or normal mode.
You do NOT need it to load a ROM. You need BootStrap Recovery for that.

BB1980

Reaction score
Ok. I did try RSD Lite 4.7 and got a little further trying to flash.
It would start, but the phone would only display:
Critical Error:
510B
and RSD Lite would eventually give an error message about failing to flash.

If I can find a ROM I like, I may try Bootstrapper.

BACAbone

Reaction score

unless I've missed something lately clockwork recovery is the only option. Pretty sure SPRecovery isn't an option

sirthanh

Reaction score
There's a flaw in this guide... You cannot use bootstrap to apply the update. You will get a status 7 error because bootstrap modifies the logwrapper file. This has cause a big headache for me and a lot of wasted time in finding the solution.

** USE STOCK RECOVERY AND DO NOT TOUCH BOOTSTRAP UNTIL AFTER YOU HAVE APPLIED THE UPDATE **

Forgot to add--- To have root privilege in 2.2 do the following

Install root explorer (buy)
Move system/bin/su to system/xbin/

Prime21

Reaction score
Thanks. This will be very useful in the near future.:)

Prime21

Reaction score
Really like this guide. Very helpful for me in a few days. Thank you.:):)

givmedew

Reaction score
I may have a super bricked Droid X sitting here. A friend of mine rooted his phone and he was on 2.2 and for some reason decided to download an app that installs JIT. Now I looked and I don't see an app that installs JIT for the droid x. Either way whatever he did the phone does not boot. I have been able to sporadically get it to go into whatever mode it is called when you hold down HOME and POWER but not always (I tried a wipe there). It does not seem that I can get into boot-loader mode (down and camera). I did see it go into bootstrap mode once and when that had happened I did try loading a nandroid of a clean 2.1 root but still didn't boot afterward. Things are not looking good for this little droid x Any ideas? Also can anyone confirm such an existence for a JIT program for droid x?

BACAbone

Reaction score
I may have a super bricked Droid X sitting here. A friend of mine rooted his phone and he was on 2.2 and for some reason decided to download an app that installs JIT. Now I looked and I don't see an app that installs JIT for the droid x. Either way whatever he did the phone does not boot. I have been able to sporadically get it to go into whatever mode it is called when you hold down HOME and POWER but not always (I tried a wipe there). It does not seem that I can get into boot-loader mode (down and camera). I did see it go into bootstrap mode once and when that had happened I did try loading a nandroid of a clean 2.1 root but still didn't boot afterward. Things are not looking good for this little droid x Any ideas? Also can anyone confirm such an existence for a JIT program for droid x?

Sounds like sbf time. bootloader is volume down and camera while powering up the phone

givmedew

Reaction score
Like i mentioned in the above post I was unable to get into the bootloader via down and camera, however it seems like the problem may be that some bricked phones don't charge. This is one of them. I suspected the problem since as soon as I unplugged the usb cable the green light went super dim and then out only extremely low voltage and lack of current would cause the led to half light. So I put it on my universal charger and sure enough dead as a door nail. I charged it up put it in and then entered the bootloader mode and it says the battery isnt charged up enough so I think im going to be fine.

millbean

Reaction score
trying to go back to stock stock following directions found on rootzwiki but cant seem to find the unzipped sbf in the folder?

ryanjames

Reaction score
Im at the recovery screen, how do I select the option "install zip from sdcard"? I know the volume keys move up and down but how do i select it? When i click the home/options/power it goes to a black screen.

Edit: Nvm got it! It was the camera button lol.

Last edited:

Jackzor

Reaction score
You CAN brick the droid x. Try updating to official 2.2 then flashing sbf back to 2.1. See what happens :p