How much data do you use monthly?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Veraster, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Veraster

Veraster New Member

I got my new Droid X2 on a month to month plan several weeks ago. After this cycle that im on is over, I will no longer have unlimited data :eek:hmy: Some places on the internet say this is horrible because most people use an average of 15gb on their phones while some places say that most people dont even go over 500mb.

If everybody who reads this could post how much bandwidth they use and what they do on their phones, it would be helpful so I could get a better idea of how much 2gb of data really is.

Thanks
  2. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

I've used less than 2gb per month for a while. And I'm on my phone alot with Tapatalk, yahoo im, and surfing the web.

end of line...
  3. FernBch

FernBch Member

I usually use 750mb to 1.5gb/month. I have never passed 2gb. I surf from my DX more than my pc.

My DroidX Thrives on the DarkSlide!!
  4. bishoy

bishoy New Member

between 750mb-1gb/ month
  5. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

The majority of people stay under the 2GB, but what other people do and what you do are completely different matters. This would almost be like going into an *insert motor vehicle here* forum and asking How many gallons of gas do you use monthly so I can gauge how much I am going to use?. Way too many variables.

Can't you look at your statements to see how much you have been using?

Data Calculator <-- that can give you an idea of numbers, but I wouldn't really lean too heavily on that as there are a lot more variables. How often are you around wifi? App downloads and updates aren't included on that list, if you have a lot of apps, especially larger apps that update frequently, this can add up to a decent amount. There are many other variables as well that the calculator doesn't include.

To answer your question, my data usage is all over the place. There have been a few months where I have hit around 8GB, and then there have been many months where I have been under 1GB. My daughter uses about 5GB, more in Summer months since she is out of school.
  6. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

If you log in to your account, you can see how much you've used. I know that doesn't help you right now, but it will in the future.

Also, I'm on the road a lot and I'm constantly downloading ROMs and the like through 3G and I don't think I've ever been over 1.5, much less 2.
  7. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

roughly 1.5gb, but i'm only on the 6th day of my new month and i'm past 1gb:icon_ banana:
  8. Veraster

Veraster New Member

Holy crap.. What do you do on your phone? Im really mad that verizon took away unlimited data because that's the #1 reason i chose them in the first place. #2 was because they had the Droid. You would have to be paying the $80 on tired data -____-
  9. dezymond

my friend decided to waste my battery and play the 3hr nyan cat video on my phone -_-

I've been tethering alot lately too. Been doing alot of studying at the local coffee shop and they only provide 1hr per drink, so I just tether
  10. Veraster

Veraster New Member

If you had to use tired data would it be worth paying the $50 for 5GB?
  11. dezymond

I'm on unlimited, so definitely no. Did I need to tether when I did? No, but it's nice to have.

Having to pay twice for the same data plan with just another capability is pretty outrageous to me. I can understand VZW doing it, but it's criminal in my book. Already pay for it on my phone, why do I have to pay more to use my phone's full capabilities?

That being said, many will disagree with me, but that's just how I feel. The only way I'd consider paying for a tethering plan is if somehow it miraculously gives me 4g speeds on my other device for some reason.
  12. ftajeffrey

ftajeffrey New Member

under 250 megs
  13. Shark0311

Shark0311 New Member

I'm at 4 gb on the phone and 650 mb tethering.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  14. Veraster

Veraster New Member

I didn't mean pay for tethering. I agree with you on how you shouldn't have to pay for tethering. I was talking about paying for the 5gb of data instead of the small 2gb of data.
  15. dezymond

16. hobbes105

hobbes105 Member

I'm typically right around 5gb in a month and sometimes over if I don't turn on wifi when it's available.

I have several podcasts at about 40 to 50 mb each day that are downloaded or streamed. I'm a service tech and will usually be streaming radio or podcasts while driving or working - usually about 8 hours a day. I also have several email addresses and receive many work related emails each day with attachments - either pdf's or pic's. I also have other normal stuff that everyone else has updating such as weather, Pure Messenger for Facebook and Twitter, calander updating, etc...

I do tether here and there, but it's really not too much and it's usually work related to just check for access to a network from an off site connection. I try to watch the data to keep it under the 5gb. I could easily have my data usage be double what it normally is if I didn't turn on wifi and didn't keep an eye on it. Two months ago I went through the whole month without using wifi at all and I had used 13.7GB in a month. After seeing that I figured that I better watch what I'm doing. Since then I've been using Verizon's data widget to keep an eye on my usage.

With the new market and the ability to watch movies from the device I can just imagine how this could push data usage up a lot if your on 3g or 4g instead of a wifi connection.
  17. yiannis

yiannis New Member

Without streaming videos, which is usually the case, about 1GB/mo.

However, that's on the D1 and I'm thinking it will only go up with my next higher resolution LTE phone.
  18. brad92

brad92 New Member

What happened to all the VZW fanboys saying that tiered data would save money if you don't use much data? Hmmm, unlimited data or 2 gigs for $30? Last time I checked, tiered data is way more expensive.

Apex 2.0 Revolution
  19. yiannis

yiannis New Member

Without streaming videos, which I don't usually do, about 1GB/mo.

However, that's on the D1 and I'm thinking it will only go up with my next higher resolution LTE phone.
  20. dezymond

that was in anticipation that a tiered plan would have lowered prices. To be honest I'm surprised Verizon kept it at $30 when AT&T drops it to $20? Bad move on their part, and they could even scare away new customers with that...
Search tags for this page
how long does 2g of data last

how long does 2gb of data last

how long does 2gb of internet last

how long does 5gb of data last

how long is 2gb of data

how long will 2gb of data last

how long will 5gb of data last

how long would 5gb of data last

how much does 2gb of data get you

how much is 2gb of data for verizon iphone
how much is 2gb worth of data