How much data do you use monthly?

hobbes105

Reaction score
I'm typically right around 5gb in a month and sometimes over if I don't turn on wifi when it's available.

I have several podcasts at about 40 to 50 mb each day that are downloaded or streamed. I'm a service tech and will usually be streaming radio or podcasts while driving or working - usually about 8 hours a day. I also have several email addresses and receive many work related emails each day with attachments - either pdf's or pic's. I also have other normal stuff that everyone else has updating such as weather, Pure Messenger for Facebook and Twitter, calander updating, etc...

I do tether here and there, but it's really not too much and it's usually work related to just check for access to a network from an off site connection. I try to watch the data to keep it under the 5gb. I could easily have my data usage be double what it normally is if I didn't turn on wifi and didn't keep an eye on it. Two months ago I went through the whole month without using wifi at all and I had used 13.7GB in a month. After seeing that I figured that I better watch what I'm doing. Since then I've been using Verizon's data widget to keep an eye on my usage.

With the new market and the ability to watch movies from the device I can just imagine how this could push data usage up a lot if your on 3g or 4g instead of a wifi connection.

yiannis

Reaction score
Without streaming videos, which is usually the case, about 1GB/mo.

However, that's on the D1 and I'm thinking it will only go up with my next higher resolution LTE phone.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
What happened to all the VZW fanboys saying that tiered data would save money if you don't use much data? Hmmm, unlimited data or 2 gigs for $30? Last time I checked, tiered data is way more expensive.

Apex 2.0 Revolution

yiannis

Reaction score
Without streaming videos, which I don't usually do, about 1GB/mo.

However, that's on the D1 and I'm thinking it will only go up with my next higher resolution LTE phone.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
What happened to all the VZW fanboys saying that tiered data would save money if you don't use much data? Hmmm, unlimited data or 2 gigs for $30? Last time I checked, tiered data is way more expensive.

Apex 2.0 Revolution

that was in anticipation that a tiered plan would have lowered prices. To be honest I'm surprised Verizon kept it at $30 when AT&T drops it to $20? Bad move on their part, and they could even scare away new customers with that...

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score

Apex 2.0 Revolution

that was in anticipation that a tiered plan would have lowered prices. To be honest I'm surprised Verizon kept it at $30 when AT&T drops it to $20? Bad move on their part, and they could even scare away new customers with that...

I'm not surprised. Verizon has never been scared about sucking their customer's wallets dry before

Apex 2.0 Revolution

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Just a bit over a gig but I am on wifi 85% of the time.
At work we have 7 Android phones and only one person out of the 7 went over 2. 2.65GB to be exact. He lets his kid stream YouTube daily while in the car.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Apex 2.0 Revolution

yeah i was surprised they didn't have a lower then 30 tier also, but i dont think they're in any trouble of scaring away customers. they have the best network, they have the iphone as well as great android phones, and most users will never use 2GB/month anyway. plus, its not like new customers are going to know that they're getting ripped off (if they were). they'll simply get the low tier or be upsold by a rep to a higher one all the while having no idea what they're buying.

TheOldFart

Reaction score

Apex 2.0 Revolution

I sure hope so. If they do maybe they will lower the 2GB plan to $20 or $25. In the 19 months that I have had my Droid. I have never used over 800MB in any month and my wife has never hit 200MB. I would love a 2GB family share plan for $30 for 2GB.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
yeah i was surprised they didn't have a lower then 30 tier also, but i dont think they're in any trouble of scaring away customers. they have the best network, they have the iphone as well as great android phones, and most users will never use 2GB/month anyway. plus, its not like new customers are going to know that they're getting ripped off (if they were). they'll simply get the low tier or be upsold by a rep to a higher one all the while having no idea what they're buying.

Who knows, they could still change it. We all know the economy isn't in too good a shape and that extra $10 savings can sway some customers.

Just my .02, no doubt it'll stay competitive, but that extra $10/mo is a tougher pill to swallow.

comk4ver

Reaction score
Yea it takes allot of work to pass two gb... I checked out my last three months on verizon's website and in May I consumed five gigs og days which was easy considering that I watched fifteen episodes of Grey's anatomy and downloaded like five roms... But I never used the wifi on purpose plus I downloaded five torrents on to the phone... So what's the point of this rant? That obviously we should all be using any and all possible wifi connections we can find. But, no I don't think it's worth it to pay fifty bucks for five gigs of data...
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
If you plan on going over 2gb by quite a bit. It is $10 per 1gb over. So using maths.

2gb plan = $30 with $10 per 1gb over
3gb = $40
4gb = $50
5gb = $60

5gb plan = $50

So if you think you will get near or over 4gb, then yes going up a tier may be a smart idea. If you stay under 4gb, it will be cheaper to stay on the 2gb plan. Unless the off contract prices are different.

Bravesfan319

Reaction score
I usually use way over 2gb. But then again, I never really get onto wifi. And I turn on pandora every night right before I go to bed, and it's on all night til I wake up... But if you're not a huge pandora listener, and you use wifi frequently, then you should be fine.

Sent from my ADR6300

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ha! Ha! I used over 6GB's last month, no tethering. I think I keep ESPN.com in business. :)