How much data are you using a month?

t1.8matt

Reaction score
There's been billing periods where I've used upwards of 10 gigs.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

razrrooter

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I logged into my Comcast account to see how much data I've been using through my broadband connection. There is an upper limit on my account that shows up and it's 250GB. I've seen several people in this thread, bash the OP for what they feel is abusive utilization of the 4G LTE data plan but honestly, I think what we're seeing is the beginnings of the next generation of technology. Someday, it could be commonplace for people to utilize a system like the 4G LTE data plan instead of a hard wired broadband system like I'm using at home and the usage profiles will continue to grow larger and larger due to the availability of things like movies and audio data streaming.

I just signed up for Netflix and as probably one of the first in my family to do so, I've set up a profile so Netflix can suggest movies to me based upon genre. My usage to date hasn't been very high because I was still poking my way around to find out what the Thunderbolt can do on the 4G LTE network. I stopped using the wifi connection at home just to see how much data I was really using via the wifi system and I still haven't broken the 4GB barrier yet and I'm on an Unlimited Data Plan with Unlimited 4G Hotspot. I've got about 10 days until my billing cycle ends and provided that the LTE Network issue we're seeing today is fixed soon, I'll probably hit 6GB, maybe 8GB if the network behaves itself, now that I've got a Netflix account and I'm in the 30 day trial period with Netflix.

Food for thought, fwiw anyway... Enjoy your evening folks!

Ok ok i get that you use your wifi with comcast more than your phone. If you had a job like me that is boring you would use your phone more than anything. Its just like a computer. I dont use the wifi tether on my phone to connect to my laptop very often. But watch netflix 8 hours a day,and youll see how many gigs you can use. Some people are using 60 gigs and up a month now thats crazy. Watch a whole season of something on netflix. There are other websites that will let you stream movies for free on your android device.

Kimo91

Reaction score
I use anywhere from 3-5 gigs a month, of course unrooted and no tethering.

Sent from my Boeing approved Moto DROID Razr

razrrooter

Reaction score
3 to 5 gigs a month is what verizon calls normal usage, thats how come they did away with unlimited data. I have unlimited and i use the hell out of it. Take advantage of the big picture. Its the money they are after. You go over your data plan which they want you to of course. Why so they make more money and can expand. My contract states unlimited data, it says nothing about wifi hotspot will be charged i fought them on that issue and won. Alltel was a good cell phone company. I am rooted and love the freedom to make the phone mine.

Kimo91

Reaction score
3 to 5 gigs a month is what verizon calls normal usage, thats how come they did away with unlimited data. I have unlimited and i use the hell out of it. Take advantage of the big picture. Its the money they are after. You go over your data plan which they want you to of course. Why so they make more money and can expand. My contract states unlimited data, it says nothing about wifi hotspot will be charged i fought them on that issue and won. Alltel was a good cell phone company. I am rooted and love the freedom to make the phone mine.

I try not to take advantage of anything too much. I'm happy with my usage and I'm sure one day when I finally root my Razr I may hit the gigs you're using but until then I'm fine with what I use.

Sent from my Boeing approved Moto DROID Razr

cthebadge38

Reaction score
I use between 10-20 gb a month. I see valid points from both sides of the spectrum here. But when I look at my $250 phone bill every month for two smart phones with unlimited data and two regular phones for the kids, I say frig 'em! That's pretty freaken expensive to have to watch how much data I use, especially when my contract says UNLIMITED. Most of my data comes from movies. Something that may surprise the "gamer knockers" lol is that I use very little data for gaming. Myself and my son use my wifi hotspot simultaneously to play xbox live and during a normal game of MW3, rack up a whopping 5mb apiece. Even though we're not gaming junkies, I think the gamers are using far less than the movie watchers.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

jtpowell

Reaction score
I use between 10-20 gb a month. I see valid points from both sides of the spectrum here. But when I look at my $250 phone bill every month for two smart phones with unlimited data and two regular phones for the kids, I say frig 'em! That's pretty freaken expensive to have to watch how much data I use, especially when my contract says UNLIMITED. Most of my data comes from movies. Something that may surprise the "gamer knockers" lol is that I use very little data for gaming. Myself and my son use my wifi hotspot simultaneously to play xbox live and during a normal game of MW3, rack up a whopping 5mb apiece. Even though we're not gaming junkies, I think the gamers are using far less than the movie watchers.

This isn't the future it is happening right now. Although Clear uses WiMax look at their home products? Stop at one of their kiosk and they even pitch it as a replacement for your DSL/Cable.

WolfBrother

Reaction score
Sitting around 32 gigs this month.
Mostly netflix.
And swagbucks mobile tv.

I also tether to the ps3. But data on that is not bad, unless I'm downloading a game.

Mostly play tetris. I can play that for hours and the data barely passes 20mb.

Last edited:

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score

I agree. I can game for hours and use 100 MB of data. I'm probably going to start Netflix again.

X

Nyobie

Reaction score
Ok ok i get that you use your wifi with comcast more than your phone. If you had a job like me that is boring you would use your phone more than anything. Its just like a computer. I dont use the wifi tether on my phone to connect to my laptop very often. But watch netflix 8 hours a day,and youll see how many gigs you can use. Some people are using 60 gigs and up a month now thats crazy. Watch a whole season of something on netflix. There are other websites that will let you stream movies for free on your android device.

I understand. Like I said, I think my usage will go up now that I signed up for Netflix. Although if the 4G system keeps crashing, I may not.

As an aside, I actually have a higher usage on my data plan with VZ than with Comcast. It's the limit that differs, that's all but I think next month's cycle will see a higher usage for both accounts. We'll see! :D