How much data are you using a month?

Erikbal

Reaction score
I use wifi a lot so I don't usually go over 500mb a month. I saw somewhere or verizons site where it tells you about 4g lte that the top 5% of users will have their data slowed down. I was worried 2 gigs a month wouldn't be enough for me but I don't think I've ever hit a gig even...

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
No offense by any means but people pulling that much data a month are the reason others are being forced to deal with over priced tiered data plans. I am grandfathered into the unlimited but my wife who just got a Droid had to get the 2gb data package. Even on my unlimited plan I don't get over 1GB per month. Remember the greed of a few affects the practices of the many. Won't be long before they kill every ones unlimited plans if things keep up, instead of just cutting back the top 5% they will punish everyone.

jayb

Reaction score
No offense by any means but people pulling that much data a month are the reason others are being forced to deal with over priced tiered data plans. I am grandfathered into the unlimited but my wife who just got a Droid had to get the 2gb data package. Even on my unlimited plan I don't get over 1GB per month. Remember the greed of a few affects the practices of the many. Won't be long before they kill every ones unlimited plans if things keep up, instead of just cutting back the top 5% they will punish everyone.

Well do what you want. I will keep using a lot. I paid my time. The US has the highest data rates anywhere. Just keep believing that if people didnt use more then the prices wouldnt go up. :D And the unlimited is a part of being a loyal customer and getting in on things early instead of just waiting around thinking prices will go down. They also hype up the people on unlimited plans being able to stream HD Netflix and NFL mobile. So please keep using 1gig a month and over paying for that little amount and I will keep using 60+. I really dont want to start something here but some people just think that everyone should follow them only use 1 gig on an unlimited plan and that will make prices go down. They will throttle me if I am using too much. And evidently I am not.

BTW maybe me and the others that use our unlimited plans for what they truly are " unlimited " are the reason for the 4g outage. :D:D:D:D I am sure someone will believe that.

69copo

Reaction score
I average around 30-40G a month. Tethering (PDANet), and tons of video and streaming, plus what it was meant for such as e-mail and what not.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Oh no I do agree with you on some points, plus I could never be angry at someone with an avatar such as yours. I don't think people should use only 1gb like me, I am on Wifi most of the time anyway. But I have seen people pulling around 120Gb playing Xbox live using their phone as a hotspot. I am all for using what you pay for but situations as that seem a little outlandish. As long as I don't lose the option to use whatever I want and keep my unlimited data then so be it. I just think with 4G blowing up the data usage we might see more changes in the future.

DroidXJoel

Reaction score
I'm not making any quotes, research will give you the whole story. But I'm sure there will be changes but for the good of consumers. Do research on where lte came from, analog, who sold it, government, to who, Verizon and other companies, and the FCC regulations. There are regulations in debate right now on throttling and limiting lte consumption. From what I've found and others, there is not supposed to be a limit of consumption on lte, at least in the band that Verizon is using. Just my 2 cents

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

jayb

Reaction score
Oh no I do agree with you on some points, plus I could never be angry at someone with an avatar such as yours. I don't think people should use only 1gb like me, I am on Wifi most of the time anyway. But I have seen people pulling around 120Gb playing Xbox live using their phone as a hotspot. I am all for using what you pay for but situations as that seem a little outlandish. As long as I don't lose the option to use whatever I want and keep my unlimited data then so be it. I just think with 4G blowing up the data usage we might see more changes in the future.

i agree with the streaming of Xbox but then again ( not for me ) they told me that I could set-up mobile hotspot and use it to do things like that. I didnt bother to tell them I was rooted and could do it for free. But I dont tether much at all if any. I have a Xoom and dont use the 3 gigs on it. But this saves me on my home network for streaming Netflix. I am at the end of a line and my home speeds are like 2-3mbs dl. I cant stand that anymore.

And honestly like I said earlier I wanted to kind of jack with them and see if I got throttled. If I have I have not noticed it. I am in a smaller city and that could be a difference also. Same with my speeds I think.

jayb

Reaction score
I'm not making any quotes, research will give you the whole story. But I'm sure there will be changes but for the good of consumers. Do research on where lte came from, analog, who sold it, government, to who, Verizon and other companies, and the FCC regulations. There are regulations in debate right now on throttling and limiting lte consumption. From what I've found and others, there is not supposed to be a limit of consumption on lte, at least in the band that Verizon is using. Just my 2 cents

I seen that also .....That the spectrum that Verizon is using there was a clause that it was supposed to stay unlimited. I forget where I read the article. It was in here or on endgadget.

Blacksheep427

Reaction score
I am at 18.875 GB on day 19 of 31. I have both phone data and hotspot unlimited. This is the highest usage I've ever had, so I am glad for unlimited. Mostly used for internet homework posts for college and audio streaming of radio classics and some redskins football games, btw.

Sent from my TB
using DroidForums

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yeah I don't think pulling around 60GB you are anywhere near their radar as far as throttling goes. I am sure there are some people out there pulling well over 200+ if not closer to 500, depending on what they are doing.

jayb

Reaction score
Ya I'm sure the gamers are pulling in a lot. I always have it in the back of my mind that Verizon will just up and pull the plug and make us all pay per mb ........I don't see it happening but you always fear that stuff.

Sent from my rooted and bootstrapped Razr

DroidXJoel

Reaction score
I seen that also .....That the spectrum that Verizon is using there was a clause that it was supposed to stay unlimited. I forget where I read the article. It was in here or on endgadget.

Ya there are also public records that you can read regarding some of the statutes and such as well on the internet. Pretty cool stuff. So we'll see

OP
J

jacobjer

Reaction score
I agree with the majority. I'm using as much as I want - because...well, I pay for it!

jtpowell

Reaction score
I agree with the majority. I'm using as much as I want - because...well, I pay for it!
It's like electricity rates. If you use less they simply will raise the rates to keep their profit the same. If you're paying for it get while the getting is good.

Erikbal

Reaction score
i agree with the streaming of Xbox but then again ( not for me ) they told me that I could set-up mobile hotspot and use it to do things like that. I didnt bother to tell them I was rooted and could do it for free. But I dont tether much at all if any. I have a Xoom and dont use the 3 gigs on it. But this saves me on my home network for streaming Netflix. I am at the end of a line and my home speeds are like 2-3mbs dl. I cant stand that anymore.

And honestly like I said earlier I wanted to kind of jack with them and see if I got throttled. If I have I have not noticed it. I am in a smaller city and that could be a difference also. Same with my speeds I think.

There's actually a hack you can download from the market where you can use your phone as a mobile hotspot for free without having the service. A friend of mine tried it out and was able to connect to the internet thru his phone from his laptop...

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums