Unlimited data dead. How much data do you use a month?

Khiraji

Reaction score
I'm on the 150MB/month plan, because I'm cheap =/
Though more plausibly because I'm surrounded by accessible WiFi all the time. I haven't looked at my WiFi meter this cycle, but it's probably several hundred MB. At home, at work, and school, Starbucks... pretty much everywhere has free WiFi. I don't do a lot of YouTube or Netflix, mostly because I'd much rather watch Netflix at home on my 55" TV than on my 3.8" phone screen. The vast majority of my data usage is Facebook, with Google Maps and other location-centric apps coming in behind.

I guess the way I see it, my phone is like my tricorder (especially when the tricorder app is open :p) - it's optimized for use in the field, and any heavy-duty stuff can wait until I get back to base.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have 5gigs used so far, next bill is the 19th. It's all from Netflix and Pandora, though. Netflix eats it up like CRAZY it seems.. I feel sorry for those 2gig limits. Me and my gf when we got nothing else to do watch movies and since the Droid 3 has hdmi mirroring, it comes in handy. I don't use my phone much for normal games except once in a while.. otherwise I just like customizing it and stuff. But ya, before I downloaded netlix, I never even used a gig on my droid before.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
I

IAm

Reaction score
I have 5gigs used so far, next bill is the 19th. It's all from Netflix and Pandora, though. Netflix eats it up like CRAZY it seems.. I feel sorry for those 2gig limits. Me and my gf when we got nothing else to do watch movies and since the Droid 3 has hdmi mirroring, it comes in handy. I don't use my phone much for normal games except once in a while.. otherwise I just like customizing it and stuff. But ya, before I downloaded netlix, I never even used a gig on my droid before.

I didn't think using as much data as I do ( anywhere from 8 to 14 gb a month) was abnormal. I read these comments though and apparently im not using my smartphone as ''intended''. With the Netflix, Pandora, and Youtube applications I have downloaded I'm violating some unwritten code of using my UNLIMITED DATA PLAN TOO MUCH. I mean how does anybody utilize any of these applications for any amount of time and stay under 2 gigs?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
I

IAm

Reaction score
I'm honestly shocked by all this.

I mean, how do I put it.

(I'm not on VZW, by the way.)

First, I prefer using Youtube when there's wifi, just to avoid lag and stutter.
Second, with all the apps I use, I rarely break the 25MB (yes, MB) per day.
Third, my carrier here charges me $7/mo for a 30MB/day data access plan (after 30MB it's 64kbps throttling).

Even back at home in Japan I rarely use over 50MB per day.

When I hear about people using over 4GB on a smartphone in a single day… well I'm just surprised. I thought it's a smartphone so I used it for stuff like Foursquare, Twitter, Google+, and Maps…

Yeah here in Houston I have no lag or stutter at all when streaming using Verizon's 3g network. Also alot of people use their smartphones for popular streaming movie and music applications. I don't have satellite radio in my car so I simply stream alot from Pandora to my car stereo.

Last edited:

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I didn't think using as much data as I do ( anywhere from 8 to 14 gb a month) was abnormal. I read these comments though and apparently im not using my smartphone as ''intended''. With the Netflix, Pandora, and Youtube applications I have downloaded I'm violating some unwritten code of using my UNLIMITED DATA PLAN TOO MUCH. I mean how does anybody utilize any of these applications for any amount of time and stay under 2 gigs?

Agreed. I think it's because a lot of people don't use heavy data usage apps so they assume we're the same.. meaning we had to have used our phones a toooooooon to even get a gig used up. When really, it takes like a 2hr or less movie on netflix to to reach that. One reason why I think that 2gig-10gig limit is such a rip off..

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Here's the weirdest fact ever (for you, probably): no one I know at home (in Japan) uses their phones to watch streamed movies from services like Netflix or Youtube, or even Nico Nico Douga.

Sure, NTT has its own phone TV service, which doesn't appear in their data accounting at all. The same with music streaming; every affiliated provider (i.e. those who have agreements with NTT) is whitelisted. But people only use those for news and such because honestly watching a movie on a 3.7" screen isn't really “delivering”.

Probably because people are used to the fact that data has its costs.

I'm currently working in Russia, and here max you can get is 1GB/day for $15/mo, 1GB/mo for $25/mo with everything above being limited at 32kbps, or 10GB for $29/mo depending on your carrier. Note: for Russia, spending over $10/mo on a mobile phone is considered a lot.

In the US, limited mobile data looks like an atrocity to everyone — only because you're used to it being unmetered. However, the speeds at which the phones access data services rise with each year, and the carriers' infrastructure has to catch up with it. And that requires money.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since that doesn't apply to us though, I don't really care too much.. but I get your point and agree to and extent. It's not like I sit in front of my 54" tv and decide to watch movies on my phone instead.. no. I mirror my phone onto my tv to watch it regularly, which requires data still. What if I didn't have blu ray or an xbox to stream netflix with? I don't wanna pay 8 bucks a month for a 2gig limit of watching one movie a month. Sure it's not meant to replace a tv, but, it can go on to a tv.

Also, kids(teens too) that go on vacations.. might want to watch movies. Their phones are perfect to watch a couple movies during a 6hr drive with their parents. Comes in handy.

rusty815

Reaction score
i use my phone to watch videos while im running at the gym (an hour a day) and to stream music while working out, i go five days a week so after a month, i use up about 10-15gb of data going to the gym alone, and i use my phone to download files, such as cm7 nightlies (easier than downloading on my computer and transfering). last month i used 19gb of data, and i dont tether unless traveling for more than 3 hours (never) so that 19gb was spent doing "phone things."

i will say this though, before netflix came out i was only using 5-7gb, so thats a whole 5-10GB a month im using extra with netflix.

ExodusC

Reaction score
Honestly, with my usage I have not broken 2GB of mobile data in a month- ever, as far as I know. However, anytime I'm at my apartment, I use my wireless connection there.

I don't see the 2GB per month as obscene, but it certainly limits watching lots of streamed movies and such. I have two days left in my billing cycle, and I have used about 1.3GB of data. I have actually watched a couple TV shows on Netflix over 3G this month, too.

Oh, and for the record, I do have unlimited data.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global via Tapatalk.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you have wifi, it's not a big deal.
I don't so 2gb is just not enough. That's like 1 day to me ;)

CM74D2

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Honestly, with my usage I have not broken 2GB of mobile data in a month- ever, as far as I know. However, anytime I'm at my apartment, I use my wireless connection there.

I don't see the 2GB per month as obscene, but it certainly limits watching lots of streamed movies and such. I have two days left in my billing cycle, and I have used about 1.3GB of data. I have actually watched a couple TV shows on Netflix over 3G this month, too.

That's nice that you have wifi. I live out in the country where we don't even have phone lines.

CM74DX

MattHenson20

Reaction score
I mean, they give you a smart phone and unlimited data plan, so I'm going to use it. I stream Pandora in my car, and all night while I sleep, I watch NEtflix 5 days a week at work, download ROMS, and Updates and Themes, download music, I use Pulse probably 10 times daily, plus 4 Social Network sites running background data. 2 GB is an insult to me

ExodusC

Reaction score

That's nice that you have wifi. I live out in the country where we don't even have phone lines.

CM74DX

I'm not criticizing you, I'm just saying if you have a wireless network with unlimited data, 2GB becomes less of a problem. Anyways, I've only used about 1GB over my wireless too. I guess I'm not that heavy of a user.

I had a friend who would hit upwards of 50GB every month. His smartphone was his only internet connection. Honestly though, I don't know what he did with his phone, as it was before the Netflix app even existed.

Also, I feel like if I had a 4G connection I'd use a lot more data, since I would be more likely to stream content like YouTube videos (they don't handle so well in high quality on 3G in my area).

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
My phone is my only connection as well. I have no pc or wifi. Data just goes sooooo fast. It's a joke.

CM74D2

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
My phone is my only connection as well. I have no pc or wifi. Data just goes sooooo fast. It's a joke.

CM74D2

How do you sbf then? ;)

Go to the library with the Linux CD? J/k

CM74DX