How expensive is VZW compared to the competition

JKZ

Reaction score
Sir you are correct, I am chatting with a vzw rep now and will update my op. Thanks
No problem. I'm just glad the prices
are dropping slowly. Hopefully they keep heading that direction.

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
Once ATT actually has the same coverage in SoCal I'd look there but the others are no where close in coverage.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
So do the Tmobile Google Fi options include the ATT towers that you can use when hitched to the Tmobile bandwagon?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
So do the Tmobile Google Fi options include the ATT towers that you can use when hitched to the Tmobile bandwagon?
That was my first question. Believe I posted that in the Google Fi thread. That'd make a difference, though I know t-mobile users can't get data while roaming on AT&T towers up here. Or at least they couldn't a year ago...

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
That was my first question. Believe I posted that in the Google Fi thread. That'd make a difference, though I know t-mobile users can't get data while roaming on AT&T towers up here. Or at least they couldn't a year ago...

I can get data, but I think it is limited. I'm not sure what the TOS states.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I can get data, but I think it is limited. I'm not sure what the TOS states.
I just know there was an issue back in 09 when I moved here. Data had worked, but then I called t-mo and they said they were having problems and let me out of contract because I had moved to an area they don't service.

I believe my parents are on t-mo now and they couldn't get data when they came to visit. Maybe that changed and I don't realize it, but I think it was still true last summer when they came up.

Either way. Being able to utilize the roaming agreements that exist would make the deal a bit better.

However, according to the Google Fi map, the entire Upper Peninsula where I live is in the light green "2G" area. No thanks. I'll stick with my VZW 4G for now.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had a Motorola Xoom on Verizon since they were the only carrier at the time that would carry it with the mobile data option.

I cancelled it last summer and I still get a paper bill for $0.00 .

I finally gave up calling them to stop sending the bill, but I am afraid to toss them out unread just in case it says something other than no balance due.
I got a $0 bill for about 9 months after leaving. Every bill had a $1.19 fee for some tax or something and $1.19 credit. The last bill I got included a check for ........ $1.19. I never cashed it.
Fwiw, no-one can argue that AT&T doesn't win in installed bloatware. They've got 50%, at least, more on my Note4 than any device I ever had with Verizon.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Speaking of AT&T and my experience. Here's one for the books. This is why just the thought of them gets me angry. SMH

83-year-old AOL AT T customer has a 24 000 phone bill has to go to news to get it fixed

That is a jacked up story but I know there are similar stories that can be told about other carriers. The old saying "for every Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith there are a bunch of other people you never heard of" same is true in for every one of these stories that make the news there are many that do not make it past the complaint office.

Look, I am not going to sit here and stroke AT&T's ego as I went through my own issue with them and know that at any time I could face it again depending on the rep I get. At the end of the day it is not about AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, or anyone else as they are going to get their money. It is about you. What ever is the best service for you is what you should go with. At the end of the day I am not going to hold up one carrier as more righteous than the other because the reality is they are all in it for the shareholders. Verizon is just the most honest about it and they at least invest their money in their infrastructure so the customer is seeing what they are paying for.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Those Long Distance AOL Access Number issues were popular. My Issue i had with AT&T was that I got a bill for $700 stating I was Roaming and I was ALWAYS in the same location all the time well within the AT&T Coverage area. When i call to argue they didn't do anything. I then Switched to Verizon the very next Month. No Issues with Verizon other than them being more Expensive but I've had Coverage Everywhere i go and in the past when i had Family Members with AT&T and T-Mo they either had Extended coverage or Roaming in Areas i had 2-3 Bars like in the Catskill Mountains for Example. I pay ~250 for 4 Androids with Unlimited Talk & Text and 7GB Data (@3GB Promo Price).

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Speaking of AT&T and my experience. Here's one for the books. This is why just the thought of them gets me angry. SMH

83-year-old AOL AT T customer has a 24 000 phone bill has to go to news to get it fixed

Those Long Distance AOL Access Number issues were popular. My Issue i had with AT&T was that I got a bill for $700 stating I was Roaming and I was ALWAYS in the same location all the time well within the AT&T Coverage area. When i call to argue they didn't do anything. I then Switched to Verizon the very next Month. No Issues with Verizon other than them being more Expensive but I've had Coverage Everywhere i go and in the past when i had Family Members with AT&T and T-Mo they either had Extended coverage or Roaming in Areas i had 2-3 Bars like in the Catskill Mountains for Example. I pay ~250 for 4 Androids with Unlimited Talk & Text and 7GB Data (@3GB Promo Price).
OK, so it was not an isolated incident. I stand corrected.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
OK, so it was not an isolated incident. I stand corrected.
My cousin had that happen calling a LD number and had a $1500 Phone bill. My Aunt almost killed him. Oh those Dial Up Days.

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
Dial up days...
I got rid of a girlfriend because she got PO'ed at me for her phone bill going way up... I gave her the local number to use, she said it was busy or slow at times and I didn't tell her there were charging issues on other lines...
LOL, some only listen or remember what they want to remember...

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
How far we have come. We treat our grandparents and parent's DSL connection like it is a rotary phone.

"DSL, get with the times".