Verizon Comes Up With Crafty New Way to Entice Folks Out of Unlimited Plans

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Aug 23, 2013.

1. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Senior Member

Ratings:
    +228
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    Jackie, I'm in the same boat -- kinda disgusted with myself on wifi at work all day, and then I go home with virtually no data usage! Sometimes I'm tempted to turn it on just to eat a few megabytes, but then I realize I get such weak 3G signal inside that I'll just end up burning through battery. Same thing at home. I think this offer is made for users like us.

Speaking of: I went back and read the fine print on the leak, and noticed two key phrases...

(1) "To help these customers..." So this is no doubt a marketing tactic to get people off unlimited. Nobody else gets the offer. Makes me think, "MAN I'D BE PISSSSSSSSED if I just gave up unlimited for a 2GB @ $30 plan in order to eat an upgrade." I'd be fuming. I'm guessing that built into this new promo is something like a 30-day grandfather option for anyone who just used an upgrade and gave up unlimited.

(2) "Available for a limited time." This could mean two things...either (a) once you join you're good, but the offer ends soon, or (b) THIS PLAN will only be available as an INTRO rate (say 6 months) and then you pay full price. Of course the common-sense reading is the first version, but since the fine-print isn't included, can't be sure.

I still think for low-bandwidth users this is an offer with some teeth in it.

And now on a distantly-related note: just wanted to remark that I was in a corporate store yesterday, looking at the HTC One, and I asked a sales guy how I could "keep unlimited without paying full price." (We all know the "use a dumbphone line upgrade, then switch" strategy, right?) And without taking a breath or batting an eyelash, he said, "If you have another line just use the upgrade on that one and we'll switch it back a minute later." Wow. First time I ever I got the right answer in a store, with no hemming and hawing. I was impressed.

-Matt

#25 gadgetrants, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  2. Tonik

Tonik Active Member

Ratings:
    +67
    I don't understand how they can say no tether on the 6 gig plan. I thought there agreement with the fcc said anything except unlimited gets free tether.

3. hisself

hisself Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I gave up my unlimited plan! I switched to T-Mobile (and got an S4 with an unlocked bootloader)!

4. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +674
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P
    Well just got off the phone with a nice gentleman at Verizon who confirmed it for me. This is ONLY for customers that are currently on Unlimited Data AND are due for an upgrade AND are switching to their new edge plan. The change is done automatically once you switch to the Edge Plan and can't be assigned by them to any given line of service manually.

I even tried to get him to back date it for me since I just lost my unlimited data when I got the S4 and it was a no go.

So for those that are not using a lot of data this might be a good time to unload it if you are due for an upgrade.

The new Edge Plan actually does not sound terrible, after six months you want a new phone you give them back the one you are "leasing" and the charge goes away and you pro-rate the new phone. Not too shabby for those that like to switch phones out a bunch and don't mind paying an extra $25 bucks a month.

5. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Senior Member

Ratings:
    +228
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    Reread the OP. It's all good. :)

-Matt

6. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    Hmmm....it occurs to me this might be less about enticing people off of unlimited and more about propping up their launch of the Edge program. Possibly people aren't flocking as blindly and recklessly as they anticipated. And, actually, because of the $30 for 6gigs you are kind of making-up the difference on the $25/month.

And VZW also has a boatload of new phones to unload...

7. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +674
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P
    Yeah one way or another they will find a way to kill the unlimited plans if they really want to.

Might as well jump when the jumping is good.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

8. gveserat

gveserat New Member

Ratings:
    +0

My last phone was a Motorola Droid Bionic. I had a couple of minor issues, the volume rocker switch fell off. I called Verizon and yes they would send me another "REFURBED" phone. I said it was only 3 months old, I want a new phone. No that was all they could do.

So, I called Motorola and they had me send it in for repair, and it was returned to me in about 14 days. NO CHARGE! and I got my new phone back, wiped of data, but repaired at no charge and my original phone.

I just purchased a used, excellent condition Galaxy Note 2, I don't know if I could ever send it in directly for repair, but Motorola was excellent about it.

9. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    Insurance is a waste of money. I broke one feature phone (easily replaced on EBAY for $50), and lost two others (both found/returned). $100 a year for insurance (plus $99 deductible!) is steep unless you are absolutely irresponsible. You literally have to lose/bust a phone every year just to break-even.

10. _33

_33 Active Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Sadly I am one of those who have 4 lines with unlimited data and can't upgrade without losing it. We use a lot of data and the tiered plans wouldn't work for us. I would be paying more than I do now.

As much as I love new phones and playing with them, I had to come to terms with that I either had to switch to tiered or be a half of a generation behind in the phone cycle. Up until now it's worked fine. I can get pretty much any phone a month or so after launch for around $300.00 on CraigsList. I keep it for 6 months or so and can usually resell it for close to what I paid. I've done this with a few lines now and it's worked well. No issues at all except me learning to be more patient.

I have one more line to go with VZW. A line that they kind of lied about it being an upgrade. My wife thought she was buying a phone outright for 199.99 and here it was a renewal. The phone was an HTC Rhyme, which was old and not even worth the 199.99 retail, but my daughter had to have it. They kind of screwed us with that. T-Mobile has become a viable option now. I'll start grabbing phones for their service around December and make the switch (5 lines) in late January.

I almost caved in and went with a tiered plan. I even talked with my family about how they would need to use wifi when available to lower our usage and then....

Then I lost my data signal for almost a month! Same with my wife and our other lines... and everyone around us with VZW. Then I started a new job and lost my damn phone signal over and over at work! Once they lost me with the reliability that was it. Can't wait to switch! I don't hate them for being a company that wants to make money, but I do resent them for being smug pricks that make you feel like you owe them something when I'm shelling out over $325.00 a month for cell phone service.

11. Brightonbrad

Brightonbrad Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I live in a fully covered 4g area and use my phone for work since I drive to hundreds of areas that I am unfamiliar with. Not fun when I have to wait 30mins on the road to search a location

[​IMG]

Even when it shows great signal I still get well under 1mbps. I'm paying a premium for dial up speeds basically.

What happened to being the fastest 4g LTE network in America. My friend with T-Mobile gets better signal than me. Time to switch

12. SwiftLegend

SwiftLegend Member

Ratings:
    +8
    So you're essentially renting your phone? Can you choose to "upgrade" but keep the old phone?

This plan could be perfect for me. I'm too inpatient to wait every 2 years to get a new phone but can't afford paying $600 each. Being able to switch every six months while paying the on-contract price sounds awesome, but that "leasing" part is a turn off.

Search tags for this page
can you get verizon max without switching to edge
edge plan more everything plan
multiple lines on verizon with edge
switching to verizon edge multiple phones in contract
verizon 6 gig max plan
verizon edge
verizon edge multiple line

verizon max

verizon max plan details
verizon replacing unlimited date with 6 gb