Verizon is Raising Prices on Grandfathered Unlimited Plans by $20

Status
Not open for further replies.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I used to use about 3 GB a month. When I got a the Droid Turbo my data usage went up to 6 GB a month doing nothing different. I found this odd that the phone systems take so much more data to keep things updated.

Youtube somewhere along the line started streaming in 1080p, which is 2.25X as much data as the same video in 720p (I think, and not sure how compression factors in).

The other thing I've noticed is more frequent app updates, and larger apps.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I understand what you mean, data usage wise your right it makes no difference , But one is called tethering and one isnt meaning one is within tos and other isn't.

This is a solid argument. But I'd have to read the TOS - I'm not sure if tethering is specifically referenced and/or it's expressly stated the data is for your device only (which would, technically, make mirroring/casting/MHL all a violation of the TOS).

Remember that 2-in-1 disaster with the lapdock, the Atrix? VZW wouldn't sell it, and AT&T wanted to sell a tethering plan with it...because they knew people would consume more content (a.k.a more data) if they could have that data on a larger screen.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, anyone with a legacy plan is not eligible for a line discount after their contract ends. Everything was a la carte. I tried looking for the discount some time ago for someone and it wasn't an option.
For those on the old More Everything plan, your post is correct. Once a contracted line is out of that contract, you must request this month-to-month discount. It is automatically applied when doing Edge/device payment. Those with the new Verizon Plan (S/M/L/XL/XXL) and on a 2yr contract will automatically receive the month-to-month discount once out of contract.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

there are still ways to get discounts though right? I know I've called in before and been given some strange discounts or additions, like extra minutes for 12 months, or a certain amount off of each bill for a set amount of time.

sometimes it's just about finding the right person to talk to, when I did inbound cs I remember being able to change all kinds of things. though that was nearly 10 years ago, I'm sure some things are different.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
there are still ways to get discounts though right? I know I've called in before and been given some strange discounts or additions, like extra minutes for 12 months, or a certain amount off of each bill for a set amount of time.

sometimes it's just about finding the right person to talk to, when I did inbound cs I remember being able to change all kinds of things. though that was nearly 10 years ago, I'm sure some things are different.

I would imagine that there were on those old plans. Honestly, it's been so long since I have seen someone come in with an old 700 type plan, that I'm not sure. I do know that with the More Everything plans the typical discounts I would see would give someone $10 off the data plan, so a 4gb shared is normally $60, these people would be paying $50 and the name of the plan would be More Everything LOYALTY instead of just More Everything. Then there would be a % discount on one or 2 lines access fees. What I have seen is 50% on one line and 30% on a 2nd line when they have 4 lines on the account. The downside is that when CS gave those % discounts, they would extend that lines contract for 6 more months. These special plans were good for 12 months and I want to say were used as a 'save tactic' when people would complain about their pricing. I was told that if someone is on the new Verizon Plan, there is no special pricing from CS. I imagine that is because the plans are so new and a lower price already for the data.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
A question for the people still on UDP that think that raising the price to $50 is a horrible idea...

If you were a customer paying $60 for 5GB or whatever the current pricing is... would you think the same? Would you think that you paying twice as much for a small data plan was good when your buddy was paying $30 for UDP?

Now if they were under a contract, that's one thing, but once those plans went away and they are under zero obligation to keep giving it to you... thoughts?

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is to expensive to get an isp. Ill stick with the 20 dollar increase. I get speeds of 40mbs with XLTE at my house. No complaints here.

Am I to read that post and interpret it to mean that you are using your cell as a hot spot ISP for your home?

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
No matter what anyone in here says, Verizon is raising the price on the remaining UD plans by $20 for each UD line, which sucks, but it is what it is, we all know and have known for quite some time that they were going to cook something up to anger the 1% of UD users so they either drop their UD plan or just leave altogether "which Verizon could care less", END of story.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
No matter what anyone in here says, Verizon is raising the price on the remaining UD plans by $20 for each UD line, which sucks, but it is what it is, we all know and have known for quite some time that they were going to cook something up to anger the 1% of UD users so they either drop their UD plan or just leave altogether "which Verizon could care less", END of story.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Finally, a post from you that makes sense and is accurate ;-)

Reactions: cr6

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
If you were a customer paying $60 for 5GB or whatever the current pricing is... would you think the same? Would you think that you paying twice as much for a small data plan was good when your buddy was paying $30 for UDP?

Regardless of who's paying how much for what, I feel that VZW is overpricing their data. $15 for 1 GB seems a bit high, IMO.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
A question for the people still on UDP that think that raising the price to $50 is a horrible idea...

Now if they were under a contract, that's one thing, but once those plans went away and they are under zero obligation to keep giving it to you... thoughts?
What you are missing is that the current plans automatically include unlimited talking and texting, and the old plans were $29.99 for the data only. So if someone had 6gb data for $60 on the new Large Verizon plan, they will be at a taxable rate of $80 including line access and data/minutes/text. For comparison, my old unlimited plan was 450 minutes, unlimited text for $59.99 and $29.99 unlimited data. I was only averaging 2gb/month, so I was definitely overpaying. So for those who will be seeing an increase on their bill and they use a solid amount of data, it will definitely be worthwhile for them to stay with what they have.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Regardless of who's paying how much for what, I feel that VZW is overpricing their data. $15 for 1 GB seems a bit high, IMO.
And $10/1gb wasn't on the old plans? Remember this isn't just 1gb data for you and only you, it is a SHARED 1gb with anyone on your account. I personally believe that is a decent charge. They could have easily made it more.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Finally, a post from you that makes sense and is accurate ;-)

All my posts make sense and are accurate, I am a realist, sometimes it will rub people the wrong way "not done intentionally" , but the truth is never easy to swallow.
Also this forum and website needs a quick overhaul, it's been lagging like there is no tomorrow, from my PC, Tablet, Nexus 6, in Tapatalk to regular Web browser, no issues with any other site.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

nalgon

Reaction score
Damn $15 for a gig! I didnt know it was that much. I use a gig a day. $20 increase still sounds like a deal.

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
The bottom line on Verizon service no matter how you slice it is the total at the end of the month.
$300.00 for 4 smart phones and 1 dumb flip phone a month is to much money and that is with a 22% discount.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
The bottom line on Verizon service no matter how you slice it is the total at the end of the month.
$300.00 for 4 smart phones and 1 dumb flip phone a month is to much money and that is with a 22% discount.
I hate to break it to you, but with that many lines you are going to be paying an arm and a leg no matter what. Even with T-Mobile your service charges would be $230 before devices with all having unlimited data, and if all of those smartphones were Galaxy S6 32GB you would be at $330ish before taxes. Your taxable amount would be lower than Verizon though, but that's without any phones. I assume you are saying you are paying $300 with just service charges and tax, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.