AT&T Raises Prices on Grandfathered Unlimited Plans by $5 (Starting February 2016)

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
att-glowing-wall-logo.jpg

The big news back in October was that Verizon was planning to increase the price of Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plans by $20 per month (which they did as of November 15th). Although many of our members are on Verizon, we still have quite a few who are on AT&T. Sadly yet unsurprisingly, it looks like AT&T is following Verizon's lead.

AT&T just announced last night they plan to raise the rates of users on their Grandfathered Unlimited Plans by $5, (from $30 to $35 per month). This price increase will take effect starting in February of 2016. Folks on a Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan for AT&T will still have their data throttled if they exceed 22GB per month (which was raised from a 5GB per month throttle not to long ago).

For more of the details, here is AT&T's full press release: AT&T

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Last edited by a moderator:

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com

Yes, since AT&T will only go up $5.00 to $35.00 while many on VZW will be at $50.00, while those with the $20.00 discount only go up to $30.00.

However, there is no mention of VZW throttling us. Yet.

yeah i think he misread it they are going up by $5 not $30. , but at least they were open about it and gave advanced warning.

i respect that a lot more than tmobiles bogus event where they talked about double data and free free free
than raised prices for everyone except 1 gig plan to actually get that double data and raised unlimited by 15 bucks for single lines.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
yeah i think he misread it they are going up by $5 not $30. , but at least they were open about it and gave advanced warning.

i respect that a lot more than tmobiles bogus event where they talked about double data and free free free
than raised prices for everyone except 1 gig plan to actually get that double data and raised unlimited by 15 bucks for single lines.

Correct, it was me swyping while doing something else, was meaning to say raising to $35.

DG got it right.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I thought throttling of unlimited plans was ruled illegal by the courts? How is AT&T still getting away with that?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I thought throttling of unlimited plans was ruled illegal by the courts? How is AT&T still getting away with that?

The throttling of unlimited data was not deemed illegal, the act of doing so without stating that you are doing so is illegal and will get you a good fine by the FCC. Sprint has unlimited data but it tells you outright that anytime you go above 22-23GB that it *might* throttle you, which means it most likely will.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
The throttling of unlimited data was not deemed illegal, the act of doing so without stating that you are doing so is illegal and will get you a good fine by the FCC. Sprint has unlimited data but it tells you outright that anytime you go above 22-23GB that it *might* throttle you, which means it most likely will.

The diff being Sprint told you at the time you signed up for the plan. AT&T changed it later. Further, Sprint toggles you by having LTE in about 5% of the country. Anyone that continues to do business with AT&T after their shenanigans over the years perplexes me. Must be they are smitten with Lily.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The diff being Sprint told you at the time you signed up for the plan. AT&T changed it later. Further, Sprint toggles you by having LTE in about 5% of the country. Anyone that continues to do business with AT&T after their shenanigans over the years perplexes me. Must be they are smitten with Lily.

Yeah sorry, that's what I had meant, was that sprint says it plainly in English and i'm sure in Spanish that you will be throttled if you exceed this certain amount. Sprint has great coverage everywhere I've gone with it, but then again so far it has only been major cities. AT&T in the previous case did so without telling their customer base that they were going to throttle them.