Verizon's New Unlimited Data Plan First Impressions

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Man, this is tempting me. With reports people aren't being noticeably throttled, if at all, I think I'd save $20-$30 a month PLUS get unlimited minutes and texts.
AAAAND next month verizon will throttle everyone. regardless of your plan... watch... I called it first.

on a serious note though, they're taking a hell of a hit lately and hopefully it knocks them down a peg and really does force them to take better care of their customers.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
AAAAND next month verizon will throttle everyone. regardless of your plan... watch... I called it first.

Maybe. But not those of us on UDP - they already tried several years ago and the FCC slapped them down.

That's why I haven't made the switch. Until they end UDP or make the economics overwhelming, I'm standing pat.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Maybe. But not those of us on UDP - they already tried several years ago and the FCC slapped them down.

That's why I haven't made the switch. Until they end UDP or make the economics overwhelming, I'm standing pat.
yup had I only saved 30 a month I wouldn't have changed, but bumping up from 1400 minutes between 5 lines and only 2 unlimited it was more than worth it to make everyone unlimited AND have unlimited minutes...

your mileage definitely will vary though.

KaHOnas

Reaction score
I was a UDP holdout until two months ago. Had the America's Choice with the Smartphone package since we bought our first Android phones (two HTC Droid Eris') in late '09.

My wife was the first one of the three of us (her, myself and my son) to go over the 22GB hump and she reports no significant or noticeable change in data stream. Of course, this is due to a network traffic prioritization protocol rather than a full-time throttling so it won't be noticeable all the time.

Honestly, I was very skeptical about jumping over, particularly because just a few months prior, Big Red V announced they were removing people from the UDP who had ever gone over 100GB. How quickly they change their mind over data usage. I've heard the speil from all the sales and marketing reps about how they wanted to perfect the plan before roll-out, yada yada yada. Frankly, I don't trust VZW and, in this particular case, this seems uncharacteristically altruistic.

However, and I am loathe to admit this, I have no complaints about the switch thus far. I'm waiting for VZW's other boot to drop, and I'm still not convinced that I haven't fallen for some bait-and-switch, but between the unlimited data, minutes, texts, and a reduction in my bill, I'm thus far pleased.

I'm still guarded, though.

Last edited:

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
In other news, Verizon is releasing a prepaid unlimited data plan for $80/month. No hotspot/tethering included. I have not heard anything about deprioritizing after a certain amount of data usage.
@DroidModderX posted this a day or two ago, and in addition to no tethering/hotspot, I'm pretty sure the link took us to a Vzw page (or it was posted in the thread) that video streaming was limited to 480p.
Link

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I was a UDP holdout until two months ago. Had the America's Choice with the Smartphone package since we bought our first Android phones (two HTC Droid Eris') in late '09.

My wife was the first one of the three of us (her, myself and my son) to go over the 22GB hump and she reports no significant or noticeable change in data stream. Of course, this is due to a network traffic prioritization protocol rather than a full-time throttling so it won't be noticeable all the time.

Honestly, I was very skeptical about jumping over, particularly because just a few months prior, Big Red V announced they were removing people from the UDP who had ever gone over 100GB. How quickly they change their mind over data usage. I've heard the speil from all the sales and marketing reps about how they wanted to perfect the plan before roll-out, yada yada yada. Frankly, I don't trust VZW and, in this particular case, this seems uncharacteristically altruistic.

However, and I am loathe to admit this, I have no complaints about the switch thus far. I'm waiting for VZW's other boot to drop, and I'm still not convinced that I haven't fallen for some bait-and-switch, but between the unlimited data, minutes, texts, and a reduction in my bill, I'm thus far pleased.

I'm still guarded, though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Similar situation here but we were actually forced off of our UDP about 5 weeks ago. Even after the store manager at our local corporate vzw store assured me we didn't have anything to worry about. I woke up one morning with my phone disconnected. I called Verizon and they told me it was mandatory and since I ignored their letters & emails (again, on the advice from their management) to switch or get disconnected, we got disconnected. They immediately reconnected us & put us on the new unlimited plan. 3 weeks into this billing period I'm at 98gig... so far, no throttling. (Knock on wood) I don't imagine it will stay that way.
It's literally the first time in over a decade that I've seriously considered switching carriers. Problem is Vzw is the only real option were I live, although I WILL be keeping my options open.
That stunt they pulled still pisses me off when I think about it.

S7 Edge tap'n

KaHOnas

Reaction score
That stunt they pulled still pisses me off when I think about it.

Agreed. Regardless of how it may be working to your benefit (for now), I hate that they have to remind you that you're theirs to do with as they please. I love being reminded that I'm just another number.

I would never have been affected by the 100GB removal from the UDP, but I still hated that they were doing it and was very vocal about it.

David
SGS4 running HyperDrive RLS21

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
What's up guys. It's been a long time.

Still skeptical about switching to the NEW Unlimited Plan.

I plan on holding on to my Grandfathered UDP for as long as possible. This is mostly because I don't have a say in upgrading the house hold Internet connection (6Mbps Down, 1.5Mbps Up DSL). The connection is shared between 4 heavy users and is in reliable for what I want to do, so I tether from my phone instead for a stable connection.

Even though my usage has dropped a ton over the past few years, down from an average of 180GB to about 60-70GB per month. I still use almost 25GB per month in tether. There rest is almost 20GB in YouTube, 8GB Google Play Music subscription, 5GB browsing and some additional scattered data. Also being up throttled is kind of nice.

I have even contemplated leaving Verizon for Tmobile. But 3G tether speeds are ridiculous.

I am still on the fence, about switching. But I might if things continue the way they are, no mention of people getting throttled after exceeding the 22 gigabyte data limit.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

cesar357

Reaction score
I bit the bullet. I jumped into this unlimited data plan. I had the old grandfather data plan but I needed to put my son on one too. So far, no regrets. We are paying just about the same we were before but now I have 4 lines with unlimited everything. Before I only had 2. My daughter (believe it or not) used 99gb last month. Not one slow down. My son used 30gb. I used 25. My wife used 38. It's great

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
My daughter used over 60 GB last month and didn't notice any throttling

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I do not have a source, but I read somewhere that they will not throttle unless the mobile traffic is heavy in the area. that could be why some are lucky and some are not so.