Verizon's New Unlimited Data Plan First Impressions

Discussion in 'Android News' started by DroidModderX, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Wadman

Wadman Senior Member

Ratings:
    +95
    I have used 62 gigs this month, my wife has used 53. We haven't noticed any decrease in speeds. We use our mobile hotspot a ton because that's the only viable interned option we have. My 2 sons were both connected to my hotspot last night and one was watching netflix, the other was watching youtube. Neither one had any issues with buffering at all. Not sure how long this will continue but so far we haven't seen any throttling.

• Like Like x 3
  2. cesar357

cesar357 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I've been debating about this myself. I have an old unlimited data plan. I was grandfathered in as well. Same situation as original post. Buy from phones full price, cash. I have 2 unlimited data plans and one 5gb plan for my son. I pay around $350 per month. That's including payment of 2 phones that they have allowed us to get through Verizon without losing our old plans. I think I would save lots of money if I went into one of these not so truly unlimited data plans but is it really worth it. I use quite a bit per month and would hate to get throttled.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. liftedplane

liftedplane Gold Member

Ratings:
    +885
    I saved a few hundred myself, waited over a month, and so far it's been completely worth it.

4. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +933
    Man, this is tempting me. With reports people aren't being noticeably throttled, if at all, I think I'd save $20-$30 a month PLUS get unlimited minutes and texts.

• Like Like x 2
  5. liftedplane

liftedplane Gold Member

Ratings:
    +885
    AAAAND next month verizon will throttle everyone. regardless of your plan... watch... I called it first.

on a serious note though, they're taking a hell of a hit lately and hopefully it knocks them down a peg and really does force them to take better care of their customers.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Sajo

Sajo Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +7,254
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Droid Z Force
    Easy now, don't jinx us.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  7. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +933
    Maybe. But not those of us on UDP - they already tried several years ago and the FCC slapped them down.

That's why I haven't made the switch. Until they end UDP or make the economics overwhelming, I'm standing pat.

• Like Like x 1
  8. liftedplane

liftedplane Gold Member

Ratings:
    +885
    yup had I only saved 30 a month I wouldn't have changed, but bumping up from 1400 minutes between 5 lines and only 2 unlimited it was more than worth it to make everyone unlimited AND have unlimited minutes...

your mileage definitely will vary though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. KaHOnas

KaHOnas New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I was a UDP holdout until two months ago. Had the America's Choice with the Smartphone package since we bought our first Android phones (two HTC Droid Eris') in late '09.

My wife was the first one of the three of us (her, myself and my son) to go over the 22GB hump and she reports no significant or noticeable change in data stream. Of course, this is due to a network traffic prioritization protocol rather than a full-time throttling so it won't be noticeable all the time.

Honestly, I was very skeptical about jumping over, particularly because just a few months prior, Big Red V announced they were removing people from the UDP who had ever gone over 100GB. How quickly they change their mind over data usage. I've heard the speil from all the sales and marketing reps about how they wanted to perfect the plan before roll-out, yada yada yada. Frankly, I don't trust VZW and, in this particular case, this seems uncharacteristically altruistic.

However, and I am loathe to admit this, I have no complaints about the switch thus far. I'm waiting for VZW's other boot to drop, and I'm still not convinced that I haven't fallen for some bait-and-switch, but between the unlimited data, minutes, texts, and a reduction in my bill, I'm thus far pleased.

I'm still guarded, though.

#141 KaHOnas, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. jackiescivic

jackiescivic Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +951
    In other news, Verizon is releasing a prepaid unlimited data plan for $80/month. No hotspot/tethering included. I have not heard anything about deprioritizing after a certain amount of data usage.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Miklb58

Miklb58 Active Member

Ratings:
    +187
    @DroidModderX posted this a day or two ago, and in addition to no tethering/hotspot, I'm pretty sure the link took us to a Vzw page (or it was posted in the thread) that video streaming was limited to 480p.
    Link

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

#143 Miklb58, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  12. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,707
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    Similar situation here but we were actually forced off of our UDP about 5 weeks ago. Even after the store manager at our local corporate vzw store assured me we didn't have anything to worry about. I woke up one morning with my phone disconnected. I called Verizon and they told me it was mandatory and since I ignored their letters & emails (again, on the advice from their management) to switch or get disconnected, we got disconnected. They immediately reconnected us & put us on the new unlimited plan. 3 weeks into this billing period I'm at 98gig... so far, no throttling. (Knock on wood) I don't imagine it will stay that way.
    It's literally the first time in over a decade that I've seriously considered switching carriers. Problem is Vzw is the only real option were I live, although I WILL be keeping my options open.
    That stunt they pulled still pisses me off when I think about it.

S7 Edge tap'n

• Like Like x 2
Search tags for this page
new unlimited data verizon plan review
unlimited data
verizon new unlimited data plan
verizon new unlimited plan
verizon switch from grandfathered unlimited to new unlimited

verizon unlimited

verizon unlimited data

verizon unlimited data grandfathered

verizon unlimited data plan