Verizon Comes Up With Crafty New Way to Entice Folks Out of Unlimited Plans

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
First, let me say thanks to users like you ^^^ who make me feel better about my bit of unauthorized tethering (like 1GB). Metaphorically speaking, I hope the cop pulls over the Lamborghini going 150 before writing up me in my Honda, going 75 in a 55 zone. ;)

300g is a light average month for me, although my Lambo is paid for :)

Ditto. However, there might be an angle here: imagine that Verizon announces in January that all unlimited plans will be moved over to some other kind of tiered/metered quota system. If I understand correctly, this new plan is ONLY available to unlimited customers. So I find it pretty easy to predict that they'll end the olive branch at some point, and raise the prices on the fixed data plans around the same time. In other words, it may turn out in hindsight that we can lock up 6GB now for $30, rather than pay $40 or $60 for the same privilege next year.

That's almost all speculation, but since I only use AT MOST 2 or 3GB a month, the 6GB offer makes perfect sense for someone like me if it were truly locked in. Same price I currently pay, with more data than I've ever consumed in a single month. Either way, nothing is forever and I'm sure all of us will be in limited plans at the same price at some point in the future.

-Matt

personally, im running this baby until the wheels fall off.
they will never offer an alternative that will suit my needs, if they kill unlimited, my money will go to the cable guy, hence retaining my unlimited data :)

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Why would I stop my $30 UNlimited plan for a LIMITED plan for the same or MORE $$$$$?????

I am confused??

because, if you don't use that much data, hence you don't need unlimited data, you wouldn't have to pay retail any more for new phones. (savings of approximately $300yr depending on what phone you get)

StevieJ

Reaction score
because, if you don't use that much data, hence you don't need unlimited data, you wouldn't have to pay retail any more for new phones. (savings of approximately $300yr depending on what phone you get)

That depends. Verizon can't offer me a plan that comes anywhere near what I currently have. Even if I pay full retail for a phone I will still save quite a bit of money over the span of two years versus buying a subsidized phone with a new plan.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
That depends. Verizon can't offer me a plan that comes anywhere near what I currently have. Even if I pay full retail for a phone I will still save quite a bit of money over the span of two years versus buying a subsidized phone with a new plan.

as i said "if you don't use that much data", if you need more than they offer it wouldn't be beneficial for you. it doesn't matter what they offer vs what you have, what matters is if the new plans covers your data needs.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I suppose it's possible VZW will attempt to entice as many unlimited people as they can retain onto other plans before pulling the rug (i.e. people using 300gigs a month that they lose money on).

I wouldn't lose any sleep if they took my unlimited. I'd have no problem operating on 2gigs a month. I expect they will get me with VoLTE, which the quality might be too good for me to pass-up given my cell is my primary phone. VoLTE + unlimited minutes = winner (for me). For starters, I could ditch my VoIP that I use for business which would save me like $15/mo. Add-in the phone subsidy and it's actually pretty "expensive" to keep unlimited data I rarely take advantage of.

In other words, this isn't the first - and won't be the last - carrot they offer to get you to give-up unlimited data. I'm not doing anything - including replacing my Rezound - until the VoLTE plans start rolling out in 12-18 months.

Last edited:

djspy

Reaction score
Hahaha oh Verizon you. I'm sitting at 21 gigs with 12 daystogo on my cycle. If you do the math, us that use so much data it's cheaper in the long run to buy a phone off contract. Just think how much I would pay in overages this month alone if I had a tiered plan.

gveserat

Reaction score

I do several times/year, while traveling tether. During a two week period last fall, I used just under 10gb, while tethering, so I did not have to pay the $10-$15/day for hotel internet (and be throttled).

I am happy so far to shell out retail for a new phone, so I am NOT required to get a 2 year contract, locking me in.

Many changes have happened in the last 2 years, with phone companies getting gobbled up. T-Mobile coming up with some good plans, more creative thinking on the phone company side with the competition amongst themselves. Then I can switch whenever I want, and buy a high end phone (used) on ebay or other websites.

I am so thru with "warranty" offered by Verizon, ATT, etc. All you get is a used, repaired phone, fixed by some nu-be, and it breaks/stops working in 2 weeks, 2 months. And you get another used/repaired phone. Not what I call a warranty. If I have paid good money ($300) for a phone on contract and in 2 months it "breaks", I want a NEW phone to replace my NEW phone I just paid $300 for, not a "refurbished" phone.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I do several times/year, while traveling tether. During a two week period last fall, I used just under 10gb, while tethering, so I did not have to pay the $10-$15/day for hotel internet (and be throttled).

I am happy so far to shell out retail for a new phone, so I am NOT required to get a 2 year contract, locking me in.

Many changes have happened in the last 2 years, with phone companies getting gobbled up. T-Mobile coming up with some good plans, more creative thinking on the phone company side with the competition amongst themselves. Then I can switch whenever I want, and buy a high end phone (used) on ebay or other websites.

I am so thru with "warranty" offered by Verizon, ATT, etc. All you get is a used, repaired phone, fixed by some nu-be, and it breaks/stops working in 2 weeks, 2 months. And you get another used/repaired phone. Not what I call a warranty. If I have paid good money ($300) for a phone on contract and in 2 months it "breaks", I want a NEW phone to replace my NEW phone I just paid $300 for, not a "refurbished" phone.

i defiantly agree, however, i prefer to pay a little more and buy the phone from a retail store. if the phone breaks within a year, yes a refirb is bs, at least its not a total loss as with used purchases.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I would definitely consider this option. The most I have ever used in 1 month was 4gb, and that was only because of Netflix. I am consistently under 2gb/month, occasionally over by a quarter of a gig. I've used wifi this month whenever possible and I'm only at 500mb and the month ends in 3 days.

It will be interesting to see if this is offered to employees (we get features at 50% off).

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I would definitely consider this option. The most I have ever used in 1 month was 4gb, and that was only because of Netflix. I am consistently under 2gb/month, occasionally over by a quarter of a gig. I've used wifi this month whenever possible and I'm only at 500mb and the month ends in 3 days.

It will be interesting to see if this is offered to employees (we get features at 50% off).

Jackie, I'm in the same boat -- kinda disgusted with myself on wifi at work all day, and then I go home with virtually no data usage! Sometimes I'm tempted to turn it on just to eat a few megabytes, but then I realize I get such weak 3G signal inside that I'll just end up burning through battery. Same thing at home. I think this offer is made for users like us.

Speaking of: I went back and read the fine print on the leak, and noticed two key phrases...

(1) "To help these customers..." So this is no doubt a marketing tactic to get people off unlimited. Nobody else gets the offer. Makes me think, "MAN I'D BE PISSSSSSSSED if I just gave up unlimited for a 2GB @ $30 plan in order to eat an upgrade." I'd be fuming. I'm guessing that built into this new promo is something like a 30-day grandfather option for anyone who just used an upgrade and gave up unlimited.

(2) "Available for a limited time." This could mean two things...either (a) once you join you're good, but the offer ends soon, or (b) THIS PLAN will only be available as an INTRO rate (say 6 months) and then you pay full price. Of course the common-sense reading is the first version, but since the fine-print isn't included, can't be sure.

I still think for low-bandwidth users this is an offer with some teeth in it.

And now on a distantly-related note: just wanted to remark that I was in a corporate store yesterday, looking at the HTC One, and I asked a sales guy how I could "keep unlimited without paying full price." (We all know the "use a dumbphone line upgrade, then switch" strategy, right?) And without taking a breath or batting an eyelash, he said, "If you have another line just use the upgrade on that one and we'll switch it back a minute later." Wow. First time I ever I got the right answer in a store, with no hemming and hawing. I was impressed.

-Matt

Last edited:

Tonik

Reaction score
I don't understand how they can say no tether on the 6 gig plan. I thought there agreement with the fcc said anything except unlimited gets free tether.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Well just got off the phone with a nice gentleman at Verizon who confirmed it for me. This is ONLY for customers that are currently on Unlimited Data AND are due for an upgrade AND are switching to their new edge plan. The change is done automatically once you switch to the Edge Plan and can't be assigned by them to any given line of service manually.

I even tried to get him to back date it for me since I just lost my unlimited data when I got the S4 and it was a no go.

So for those that are not using a lot of data this might be a good time to unload it if you are due for an upgrade.

The new Edge Plan actually does not sound terrible, after six months you want a new phone you give them back the one you are "leasing" and the charge goes away and you pro-rate the new phone. Not too shabby for those that like to switch phones out a bunch and don't mind paying an extra $25 bucks a month.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I don't understand how they can say no tether on the 6 gig plan. I thought there agreement with the fcc said anything except unlimited gets free tether.

Reread the OP. It's all good. :)

-Matt

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Not too shabby for those that like to switch phones out a bunch and don't mind paying an extra $25 bucks a month.

Hmmm....it occurs to me this might be less about enticing people off of unlimited and more about propping up their launch of the Edge program. Possibly people aren't flocking as blindly and recklessly as they anticipated. And, actually, because of the $30 for 6gigs you are kind of making-up the difference on the $25/month.

And VZW also has a boatload of new phones to unload...