How expensive is VZW compared to the competition

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
4_us_wireless_carriers-430x300.jpg
Piggybacking last Friday's WIR, VZW is considered the top dog both in service and in pricing, but how much more would it cost you to go with VZW over the competition?
As a reference I will be using the data plans posted on each company's respective sites. Keep in mind that the prices quoted does not include taxes, discounts, or special promotions.

Verizon More Everything Plan (monthly access + data = monthly cost):
  • $40 monthly access smartphone/$30 basic phone/$20 hotspot/$10 tablet/$5 connected devices
  • byod: $25 monthly access (up to 6GB)/ $15 (6GB-100GB)
  • 1GB $40/4GB $70/6GB $80/10GB $100
AT&T Mobile Share Value Plan (monthly access + data = monthly access):
  • Non contract (ie byod): $25 monthly access (300MB-6GB)/ $15 (10 GB-50GB)
  • 2yr Agreement: $40 monthly access: (300MB-50GB)
  • 1GB $25/4GB $70/6GB $80/10GB $100
Sprint:
  • Finance Plan: $52 down payment & 77.09 monthly ($27.09 monthly phone cost)
  • 2yr agreement: $216 down payment & 85 monthly ($0 monthly phone cost)
T-Mobile Simple Choice Plan:
  • $50 Unlimited with 1GB high speed data
  • $60 Unlimited with 3GB high speed data
  • $70 Unlimited with 5GB high speed data
  • $80 Unlimited with Unlimited high speed data
Google Fi:
  • $20 monthly access
  • $10 per GB of data used. No overages and if you use less you will get money back
Clearly Sprint and T-Mobile are the cheapest but I want to compare AT&T to Verizon for a second. Where on paper Verizon and AT&T data access cost about the same, you can save $15 a month by bring your own device (or paying it off) and with roll over data you have the potential to save more by going to a cheaper plan. But if you live in an area where T-Mobile and Sprint are strong then there really is no argument on which company to go with. And for the occasions I go on vacation having a device like the Nexus 6, which work on all networks, I can just pay for one month of VZW access.

Outside of those of you who live in an area where only Verizon get coverage, I just can not see a reason to stick with Verizon. Since being on AT&T I have had the same amount of dropped calls as I did on VZW, in some areas my data have been better, and I love the freedom of choice in devices. AT&T is just as bad about locking their devices as Verizon, but I am willing to overlook it if I have the option to buy an unlocked device from somewhere else. With that said, the difference in monthly cost between Verizon and AT&T is a fast food meal or two.

Edit: Thanks to our awesome members on this forum staying on top of things I had to make a correction to my Verizon plans. So in some instances you can actually save money with Verizon over At&t.

I just sent the link to the plan , plans 6Gb and higher line fee will be 15.00 and plans under 6Gb will be 25.00

Verizon rep

Last edited:

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
So...

I should buy a Nexus 6, get on TMo, and during the times I need better service just buy a PayAsYouGo sim for Verizon, plug it in, and use Verizon temporarily?

Hmmm, you may got something there.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
So...

I should buy a Nexus 6, get on TMo, and during the times I need better service just buy a PayAsYouGo sim for Verizon, plug it in, and use Verizon temporarily?

You could even jump on a cheaper MVNO in times where TMO may not be working if your Nexus 6 is unlocked.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
So...

Even though the Nexus 6 works on Verizon, don't you have to get Verizon to activate your IMEI on their network first. Not sure if you can just pop a sim in and it work.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So...

You could even jump on a cheaper MVNO in times where TMO may not be working if your Nexus 6 is unlocked.

This works for those who work at an office (on wifi) or mainly use their phone for calls and text. But those who need their phone for business and depend on high speed data may be at the mercy of the carrier that provides the best consistent data services.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Even though the Nexus 6 works on Verizon, don't you have to get Verizon to activate your IMEI on their network first. Not sure if you can just pop a sim in and it work.

Ways around that.
Grab an old vzw lte phone (ie tbolt, galaxy nexus, etc). Activate it as a place holder, then use a sim cutter and cut the sim to fit the nexus 6.

edit:
I am speaking from experience as I tested the theory out a few months back.

skostos

Reaction score
I still have unlimited data with Verizon. I have not signed a new contract in almost 4 years.. since my galaxy nexus. I have the nexus 6.. but at 125 a month for unlimited data with 900 minutes ( haha minutes plan )... i still think im winning here.

But I continue with the debate.. would I just be better off using my nexus 6 to bounce around services depending on where I am?? hmmm??

My only other thing is.. i drive a ton.. watching netflix, etc on the road.. i use an extreme amount of data and am always connected.. on top of that tethering constantly as well.. i just think since I have stuck with my grandfathered unlimited data plan I have to stay Verizon.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I still have unlimited data with Verizon. I have not signed a new contract in almost 4 years.. since my galaxy nexus. I have the nexus 6.. but at 125 a month for unlimited data with 900 minutes ( haha minutes plan )... i still think im winning here.

But I continue with the debate.. would I just be better off using my nexus 6 to bounce around services depending on where I am?? hmmm??

My only other thing is.. i drive a ton.. watching netflix, etc on the road.. i use an extreme amount of data and am always connected.. on top of that tethering constantly as well.. i just think since I have stuck with my grandfathered unlimited data plan I have to stay Verizon.

You don't have to stay VZW, but I definitely understood if you did.

How much data do you use monthly on avg, if it is more than 6 gigs then it is best you keep doing what you are doing.
But if you get the itch to try something else out Google fi may satisfy it.

Last edited:

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do you have a second line on your plan that is not unlmited data? I currently pay 185 (w/tax) for my unlimited line and one 2gig line, 700 minutes/1000 texts/month shared.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Do you have a second line on your plan that is not unlmited data? I currently pay 185 (w/tax) for my unlimited line and one 2gig line, 700 minutes/1000 texts/month shared.
Oh my

I'm getting a better AT&T deal than I thought. Unlimited talk, text and minutes, 15GB data shared on 3 phones with a portable WiFi hotspot for $181 with tax.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
A Yugo and a Cadillac can get you to your destination. The questions is which would you prefer to drive? There is more than just $$$$ to these decisions.
Not to mention, does the Yugo constantly break down in your area? (ie. Coverage).

This is the same discussion we had in multiple other threads last week. For me, in my area, the choice is simple based on coverage. And it's only a choice between AT&T & VZW.

Reactions: cr6
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
A Yugo and a Cadillac can get you to your destination. The questions is which would you prefer to drive? There is more than just $$$$ to these decisions.
Depends, if I am driving to Walmart or krogers then I am driving the Yugo as people seem to not care about rolling their carts into your car. If I am going somewhere nice then I am backing the cadi out of the garage.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
If ATT is an option then you definitely can go with many major MVNOS and come out winning.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I'll NEVER go back to AT&T after they screwed me over not once, but twice, in regards to billing. First time they did it on my cell phone. I had to go through threee days of aggravation to get a mistake on their end fixed. After I got it fixed I was so disgusted with how they treated me I decided once my contract was up, I was out. Well it came up and I was out.

The second time I had no other cable provider in my area so I had to use them. Two years no problems, I move, cut service at my old place and transfer it over to my new place. I moved 5 miles away and AT &T was still the only cable/internet provider. Everything is fine then one day no cable or internet. Call in they inform me I haven't paid my bill from my old place in months and would have to pay the full balance and a bunch of other fee's. I calmly explained that I had moved, cut service and transferred the service over months ago. There was a mistake. I was promptly told "Well I don't know what to tell you. Either you pay the full balance and reconnection fees or you won't get your service turned back on"

I went ballistic and spent 6 hours that day talking to various CS reps/managers etc trying to show them where they went wrong. Long story short, they realized their mistake and turned service back on.

Twice I've had to endure their mistakes and piss poor customer service. I get aggravated just thinking about them. I do understand people have great experiences with them, but for me I just can't rationalize going back to them after my experiences.