got my stolen droid back. YAY!!

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew of any location apps that would allow you to locate your phone should it be stolen.

DroidBoy22

Reaction score
Lookout Mobile Security is very good. It also allows you to back up pictures and contacts or sound an alarm siren.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use Mobile Defense, a lot of others use WaveSecure, but WS doesnt utilize GPS, just aGPS with cell towers.

Glad you got your phone back.

Slider46

Reaction score
MobileDefense has GPS tracking, lock/unlock, alarm and detail features. No remote/backup or wipe at the moment but its supposedly in the works.

You can install as a system app and it will not show in app list (to uninstall) and will auto-enable GPS when you activate the service (via their website).

Only downside is that the phone gets a message from "[email protected]" that will pop up when you connect to the phone.

Otherwise, good for a free app.

toddegreene

Reaction score
There's also Wavesecure, you can track (gps), backup, lock or wipe your phone. I've tested all but the wipe and they worked for me. Someone from the dev company is on the forum and will get involved if necessary.

Last edited:

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Super happy for you that you got your DROID back. Both my husband and I use Lookout Mobile Security. I haven't actually had to use the "find" yet but love the backups that are available, plus it scans my phone and apps for any viruses as well.

ohioDroid

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew of any location apps that would allow you to locate your phone should it be stolen.

There's an application called Where's my Droid?

I haven't tested it, to be honest, but when the program is running in the background, it has two functions.

1) If you lose your phone in your room/house/somewhere, you can text 'Where's my Droid?' or any other phrase you specify to the app, and it will start ringing loudly to help you find it.

2) If your phone is stolen/left behind and you don't know where it is, you can text 'Where's my GPS' or again, some other phrase you specify, and the phone will text you back a latitude and longitude of its location.

I have the app but haven't used it yet...

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
There's also Wavesecure, you can track (gps), backup, lock or wipe your phone. I've tested all but the wipe and they worked for me. Someone from the dev company is on the forum and will get involved if necessary.

Just to clarify, WaveSecure uses aGPS, not trueGPS. The difference being with aGPS it uses cell towers to approximate your position. The better your cell coverage, the better a fix on your phone's position. True GPS (a la Mobile Defense) uses satellites, and will work even when you dont have a cell signal (assuming you have line of sight with some satellites).

WaveSecure also uses international texts ($0.20 each) for control, if they ever decide to do it another way, I'll consider switching back.

If you want to block the messages Mobile Defense sends, you can use Handcent and blacklist the messages.

Slider46

Reaction score
If you want to block the messages Mobile Defense sends, you can use Handcent and blacklist the messages.

True. However, I noticed a slight slow-down with my system after installing Handcent. I also don't like that you have to use Handcent's UI for messaging as opposed to the stock UI even if you want to blacklist just one message. It seems laggy to me. :(

SGTiger

Reaction score

True. However, I noticed a slight slow-down with my system after installing Handcent. I also don't like that you have to use Handcent's UI for messaging as opposed to the stock UI even if you want to blacklist just one message. It seems laggy to me. :(

ChompSMS also allows the blacklisting of the message coming from Mobile Defense, and it is what I currently use. I have used both ChompSMS and Handcent and never experienced any lag. The stock messaging app is so lacking in features, I would hate to have to to use it as my main messaging app.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm just happy to hear you got it back. I don't know if it was mentioned by if it's stolen insurance will cover it too. And right now you can call Assurion and add insurance even if your beyond your first 30 days. Tell them Verizon told you so, they'll hook you up.

Rique

Reaction score

HI, just wondering... would it be a good idea to subscribe to both (MD & WS)? At least at first until you can evaluate which is best? And if they are both good, why not keep BOTH?

TIA