Can the droid be recovered through google latitude if it is stolen?

Lewkilla

Reaction score
My droid was stolen yesterday so I reported it to the local police, and then I realized that I had google latitude enabled. A question came to mind at that moment: Is there a possibilty that the police can use google to locate and recover the phone while it is turned on?

Manifesto Zero

Reaction score
My droid was stolen yesterday so I reported it to the local police, and then I realized that I had google latitude enabled. A question came to mind at that moment: Is there a possibilty that the police can use google to locate and recover the phone while it is turned on?

You should be able to, but if you do get it back, which I have the highest hopes that you do, you should install Mobile Defense from the market. It's free and you can track your phone from your computer, as well as lock the phone if it gets stolen.

OP
L

Lewkilla

Reaction score
hm, is there any way that i could contact google latitude to get their collaboration? and should I check to see if verizon has a plan for this sort of thing?

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
SWEET, I like this Mobile Defense App. Thanks For the TIP Manifesto Zero :icon_ banana:

Sorry to hear of your delima Lewkilla. please keep us up on how it all turns out please.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mobile Defense has received some good praise for it's location function. But they do not offer a remote wipe or backup currently. Also GPS has to be enabled at the time the device is stolen in order to get a pin point location.

Wave Secure offers the remote backup/wipe function. I've used both (WS & MD) and decided to stick with Wave Secure until Mobile Defense gets a remote wipe function.... just an FYI.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
download and install WaveSecure it will use GSP tracking and you can lock you phone, via web OR sending a text , you can set off an alarm, you can track your phone, you can wipe all your data off your phone. its free until the end of this month and you have it for the life of your phone.
Search the forums for Wave Secure you will NOT be disappointed

https://www.wavesecure.com/

-=Jason=-

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
Not to diminish the pain the OP is going through right now. His pain may allow others not to have to live through it.

And thanks for posting these other apps too. I need to go look at them now, you guys are wearing me out :p

M1dnite

Reaction score
download and install WaveSecure it will use GSP tracking and you can lock you phone, via web OR sending a text , you can set off an alarm, you can track your phone, you can wipe all your data off your phone. its free until the end of this month and you have it for the life of your phone.
Search the forums for Wave Secure you will NOT be disappointed

https://www.wavesecure.com/

-=Jason=-

^^ this (10 chars)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not to diminish the pain the OP is going through right now. His pain may allow others not to have to live through it.

And thanks for posting these other apps too. I need to go look at them now, you guys are wearing me out :p
In no way trying to diminish the OP's pain :) ... theft sucks, especially when it's something as personal as your phone....:mad:

M

Matth3w

I'm not trying to be a dick, but you think if you give the local police the GPS coordinates of your phone they're going to bother going to kick down a door for it?

TK40

Reaction score
Of course they well! Police are here to Protect, and to Serve. :blink:

M

Matth3w

Maybe if you live in hick town, but no city cop is going to waste time tracking down a phone. They barely waste time with home invasions and robberies let alone a friggin phone.

M

Matth3w

Um, no I'm not. I had four armed men break into my house. I chased them out with a gun of my own with four pointed at my face. Two of them lived down the street from me. The cops came, I told them who did it, they knocked on the door and they admitted doing it, and the cops didn't even arrest them. The other two I was told would be brought in "if they were picked up for something else."

Have you ever lived in a real city? Like a metro area? How many stolen car, stolen property cases get solved? Washington DC has a murder clearance rate of less than 50%, so if you think burglaries rate higher on their priority list, you have another thing coming.

SGTiger

Reaction score
Um, no I'm not. I had four armed men break into my house. I chased them out with a gun of my own with four pointed at my face. Two of them lived down the street from me. The cops came, I told them who did it, they knocked on the door and they admitted doing it, and the cops didn't even arrest them. The other two I was told would be brought in "if they were picked up for something else."

Have you ever lived in a real city? Like a metro area? How many stolen car, stolen property cases get solved? Washington DC has a murder clearance rate of less than 50%, so if you think burglaries rate higher on their priority list, you have another thing coming.

LMAO! Yes I have lived in a large city 90% of my 48 years. You cannot base your jaded opinion on a single bad experience and paint the whole country minus hick towns as having police who will not waste their time on robberies and home invasions. That is ludicrous. Lack of success does not mean police "do not waste their time" on robberies. I'm not trying to be a dick, but that is faulty logic at best.