got my stolen droid back. YAY!!

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
You could do that, it's all personal preference.

cheewee

Reaction score
I use Mobile Defense, a lot of others use WaveSecure, but WS doesnt utilize GPS, just aGPS with cell towers.

Glad you got your phone back.

Hi kwmayo,
On the contrary, WaveSecure utilizes GPS if it is switched on and fall back on using cell towers if it is not able to get a fix within a minute. Just thought I jump in to clarify. :)

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

eliassami5

Reaction score
I use Mobile Defense, a lot of others use WaveSecure, but WS doesnt utilize GPS, just aGPS with cell towers.

Glad you got your phone back.

Hi kwmayo,
On the contrary, WaveSecure utilizes GPS if it is switched on and fall back on using cell towers if it is not able to get a fix within a minute. Just thought I jump in to clarify. :)

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

thanks for clarifying, i knew it used GPS also but didnt wanna spread false info. Last time i tried locating my droid via wavesecure (it was just a test) it got pretty close, it located in in my neighbors house instead of my house but i think thats expectable enough. I love the lock with alarm feature..that sound is very attention grabbing to say the least lol.

cheewee

Reaction score
Just to clarify, WaveSecure uses aGPS, not trueGPS. The difference being with aGPS it uses cell towers to approximate your position. The better your cell coverage, the better a fix on your phone's position. True GPS (a la Mobile Defense) uses satellites, and will work even when you dont have a cell signal (assuming you have line of sight with some satellites).

WaveSecure also uses international texts ($0.20 each) for control, if they ever decide to do it another way, I'll consider switching back.

If you want to block the messages Mobile Defense sends, you can use Handcent and blacklist the messages.

Hi kwmayo,
As pointed previously, WaveSecure will utilize GPS if it is available.

With regard to international texts, do note that you can perform all the features like backup and restore from the WaveSecure app itself. This way, you won't be charged.

Remote commands like locate and wipe can be issued remotely from the web site when your phone is lost. We feel, $0.20 is a small price to pay to increase the chances of getting your phone back and protecting your privacy by doing a remote data wipe.

I understand from our development team that they are looking at improving the current situation. Will update once we have something to announce. Meanwhile, do follow us on FaceBook or Twitter.

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

joker920

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew of any location apps that would allow you to locate your phone should it be stolen.

There's an application called Where's my Droid?

I haven't tested it, to be honest, but when the program is running in the background, it has two functions.

1) If you lose your phone in your room/house/somewhere, you can text 'Where's my Droid?' or any other phrase you specify to the app, and it will start ringing loudly to help you find it.

2) If your phone is stolen/left behind and you don't know where it is, you can text 'Where's my GPS' or again, some other phrase you specify, and the phone will text you back a latitude and longitude of its location.

I have the app but haven't used it yet...

I tried "Where's my Droid" and I don't recommend it. When I turned on the search function, it activated the Satellite icon constantly and even when I turn off the search function the Satellite stayed on, draining my battery in no time. I had to uninstall it and restart my phone to get it to stop. No thanks.

Slowestpuma

Reaction score
Def going to have download one of these...very good app to have for a expensive phone like this