Can the droid be recovered through google latitude if it is stolen?

korky122

Reaction score
lattitude is no where near right on my brothers phone. lol it's good on mine.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't count on the cops searching for your phone. It just won't happen in most places, large or small. I'll let you borrow my 1911 or AR (your choice) and you can get that phone back yourself ;).

M

Matth3w

I agree.

I just called my local PD non-911 and asked them the hypothetical from this thread (was curious what they would say) and they were basically like "you can file a report" but we aren't about to rely on what you say via some GPS to go knock on someone's door over it...and they have a point...

I'm not knocking the cops, but they have bigger, more important things to worry about than a phone. And honestly, I'm glad they wouldn't search for it. I'd rather they not chase down every 2-300 dollar stolen item and focus a little more on the bigger fish.

Then again, they're busy helping border patrol deal with all the illegal Mexicans in our area committing crimes.

Last edited by a moderator:

choklitcow

Reaction score
I just called my local PD non-911 and asked them the hypothetical from this thread (was curious what they would say) and they were basically like "you can file a report" but we aren't about to rely on what you say via some GPS to go knock on someone's door over it...and they have a point...

I laughed. Both at either your lies or amount of free time on your hands.

There are quite a few examples, where if proof is provided, police can obtain your items. For example, here is the tracing and eventual arrest of an xbox in some small town called the Bronx where there is little to no crime.
Police follow Xbox trail to suspect, find loot from 200 thefts | LoHud.com | The Journal News

Best of luck getting your phone back.

iPirate

Reaction score
Enable latitude history and maybe you can catch the guy at work too?

Newton122189

Reaction score

I laughed. Both at either your lies or amount of free time on your hands.

hilarious.

M

Matth3w

amount of free time on your hands.
The whole 5 minutes it took to call?

Yep, I'm floating in too much free time.

If I am having a discussion about it, I might as well see what the local PD would do about it, if anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

pyro6128

Reaction score
my friend's ps3 was stolen from the common room of his suite at s.u.n.y binghamton where we all went. He called sony and told them, sony then contacted the local police and began working with them. When the kid who stole it hooked it up, the ps3 went online like its supposed to do, and they were eventually able to track his ps3. The cops found the kid (who lived in one of the other dorm communities) and returned my friend's ps3. They also found a lot of other property this kid had been stealing around campus. I have a new-found respect for sony after that, and am I proud ps3 owner now.

M

Matth3w

I'm impressed that they took the time to search that out. My family (in addition to what I already mentioned) has had some cars stolen in the city, the break in, and numerous other things and the cops never did a thing.

Perhaps I have been too dickish in this thread based on my negative experiences and cynicism...hopefully the OP can get his phone back...where I've lived, I wouldn't have even considered that possible. :(

pyro6128

Reaction score
I don't blame you though, if I had experienced those things i would probably be just as cynical

Greaser

Reaction score
I just downloaded mobile defense and think it's great, I do think it may be a little extraneous to look for a stolen phone, but what if a person had there phone and more things stolen, more info is better than no info.

Manifesto Zero

Reaction score
This is probably a little bit off topic but, what's the point of stealing a verizon phone I've always wondered? I realize that if they're somewhat smart they can sift through and find sensitive personal information, but that aside they can't really use the phone for personal use since there is no sim card and it would be shut off soon by the real owner anyways right?

texasPI

Reaction score
I'm impressed that they took the time to search that out. My family (in addition to what I already mentioned) has had some cars stolen in the city, the break in, and numerous other things and the cops never did a thing.

Perhaps I have been too dickish in this thread based on my negative experiences and cynicism...hopefully the OP can get his phone back...where I've lived, I wouldn't have even considered that possible. :(

Well, I know from personal experience that Sierra Vista cops aren't too motivated to do anything to begin with.