Froyo OTA bricked phone?

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
Go check post #50, his dads phone was stock and was bricked after the OTA. Verizon could not fix it and I am sure they tried a battery pull. Search the forums this is not the only stock phone that had been bricked with the OTA.

What I find amazing is that there are a few reports of totally stock phones bricking with this update. Moto/Verizon have a headache on their hands as this will reach mainstream news very soon....and I couldn't be happier!!

For those who have bricked your phones, that sucks and hopefully your new phone ships with 2.1.

Stock phones are not being "bricked" they simply need to remove the battery for 1 min, reinstall and reboot and problem is solved.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Ag3nt X

Reaction score
Go check post #50, his dads phone was stock and was bricked after the OTA. Verizon could not fix it and I am sure they tried a battery pull. Search the forums this is not the only stock phone that had been bricked with the OTA.

What I find amazing is that there are a few reports of totally stock phones bricking with this update. Moto/Verizon have a headache on their hands as this will reach mainstream news very soon....and I couldn't be happier!!

For those who have bricked your phones, that sucks and hopefully your new phone ships with 2.1.

Stock phones are not being "bricked" they simply need to remove the battery for 1 min, reinstall and reboot and problem is solved.

Of course there are exceptions to every thing. I am not saying that it is impossible but rather speaking in general terms.... Please understand this. But I can not stress enough that you need to remove the battery for 1 minute before reinstalling.

ig88b1

Reaction score
My new one gets here tomorrow as well dancedroid It seems like they kinda shot themselves in the foot with this.

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
Part of me hopes you are wrong, if Moto screwed up the update by trying to change things to lock the phone down more if serves them right. I do think that most people stuck would have tried a battery pull though. If it does work we should hear some success stories soon enough.

Docjest

Reaction score
I have upgraded(?) my non-rooted x and also had the hanging "M". Removing the battery did allow the phone to load properly, but there are significant issues with wi-fi/3g connectivity - that seem to start with wi-fi turned on. It got to the point that even with wi-fi turned off, 3g would not connect, and I again had to remove the battery to regain connectivity.

djjsin

Reaction score
Yup i can guarantee that my dads phone was not rooted. I also pulled the battery and that didnt fix anything.

Whats even worse......MY droid x (not my dads, we both have one) was rooted by easyroot prior to tye 2.2 update. The update installed fine on the rooted phone.

I dont understand how verizon can put up an update and not have the stores prepared to deal with phones that were bricked because of it.....

Ag3nt X

Reaction score
Part of me hopes you are wrong, if Moto screwed up the update by trying to change things to lock the phone down more if serves them right. I do think that most people stuck would have tried a battery pull though. If it does work we should hear some success stories soon enough.

They simply have some bugs that need some work. But yea they employed counter measures for those who used the leaked 2.2...

djjsin

Reaction score

They simply have some bugs that need some work. But yea they employed counter measures for those who used the leaked 2.2...

Well those bugs are causing legit users to he without phones. And no stores have stock of the droid x to replace with......nor do they have a solution to fix by reflashing. This IS NOT ACCEPTABLE

Ag3nt X

Reaction score

Well those bugs are causing legit users to he without phones. And no stores have stock of the droid x to replace with......nor do they have a solution to fix by reflashing. This IS NOT ACCEPTABLE

It happens part of the problem here is the CPU is getting pretty darn hot during this UPDATE as with anything electronic if it gets too hot bad things happen. It is not Verizon Or moto's fault if the CPU was already warmer then normal when the update took place. The stores should have a very minimal supply of X on hand I agree with you on that point.

djjsin

Reaction score

It happens part of the problem here is the CPU is getting pretty darn hot during this UPDATE as with anything electronic if it gets too hot bad things happen. It is not Verizon Or moto's fault if the CPU was already warmer then normal when the update took place. The stores should have a very minimal supply of X on hand I agree with you on that point.

Plus the stores should have the 2.2 sbf file ready so those with this issue they could just flash to 2.2. Obviously theres going to be a small amount of issues. Thats a given. Whats not acceptible is verizon being unprepared to deal with these issue, stores not being prepared in advance with 2.2, and having
the ability to reflash to 2.2 or a replacement on hand at the stores. They knew the update was going out lastnight.......

Ag3nt X

Reaction score

Plus the stores should have the 2.2 sbf file ready so those with this issue they could just flash to 2.2. Obviously theres going to be a small amount of issues. Thats a given. Whats not acceptible is verizon being unprepared to deal with these issue, stores not being prepared in advance with 2.2, and having
the ability to reflash to 2.2 or a replacement on hand at the stores. They knew the update was going out lastnight.......

what's the problem with them flashing 2.1 and starting from scratch?

djjsin

Reaction score
2.2 changes the key chain. So once the bootloader gets updated to 30.03 and the keys get changed.......theres no going back to 2.1

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
Yea Moto thought changing the keys was a good idea and now they are going to have to deal with a consumer and media backlash. I hope they get raked over the coals.

I can just imagine Moto blaming people for using their phones and they were to hot for the update. See now they would not be in this position if they just produced phones without encryption like HTC/Samsung and then trying to tighten security again. Really not smart at all on their part and I can't believe for one second that these issues never came up when they were testing the update.

Ag3nt X

Reaction score
Yea Moto thought changing the keys was a good idea and now they are going to have to deal with a consumer and media backlash. I hope they get raked over the coals.

I can just imagine Moto blaming people for using their phones and they were to hot for the update. See now they would not be in this position if they just produced phones without encryption like HTC/Samsung and then trying to tighten security again. Really not smart at all on their part and I can't believe for one second that these issues never came up when they were testing the update.

Why do you think it took them so long to get the update released? Just stop and think about that for a few minutes.

jaben2

Reaction score
My completely stock X got stuck on the M screen today. I waited for a while. I then started touching the screen and realized the notification light was flashing. I could feel the phone respond when i would touch the screen as well. I pulled the battery waited about 1 min with the battery out. Reinstalled and it booted up. Everything seems to be working great. A lot smoother transitions, it does have flash already installed haven't used that yet.
So far so good.