Froyo OTA bricked phone?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Once you install the 2.2 update, You cannot use the 2.1 sbf.
If you do, you will brick the device. and have to wait on a 2.2 sbf.
Moto changed the bootloader in 2.2.

djjsin

Reaction score
well aware of that NOW. But this was done lastnight at about 1am pst. before anything about the bootloader key change was known.

This whole thing just pisses me off that they release an update and find it acceptable that it will stop a small percentage of phones from working....

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
well aware of that NOW. But this was done lastnight at about 1am pst. before anything about the bootloader key change was known.

This whole thing just pisses me off that they release an update and find it acceptable that it will stop a small percentage of phones from working....

Changing the bootloader on 2.2 has no ill effect on stock devices that were running 2.1

Everyone know that rooting a device can cause issues.....

Matt M

Reaction score
I have to say if I were bricked by this I too would be upset, but if you choose to root/custom your taking a risk and by downloading an official OTA your exploiting that risk.

Once you venture into the world of unofficial, stay there.

djjsin

Reaction score
who said anything about rooting the devices? This was a NONROOTED Droid X.

Applied the 2.2 update FROM Verizon. phone rebooted and stays in the M screen...

Update on the issue...

my dad took the phone down to verizon. They tried to flash it and they couldnt get the flash to take. I have a feeling that they are caught with there pants down, dont know what to do, and are trying to reflash it with the 2.1 sbf file.... They told him they dont have any replacement phones for it. and now he's dead in the water, having to get on a plane without a working phone. Since its a corporate account they said they cant activate his old phone.....Thanks verizon!!!

Changing the bootloader on 2.2 has no ill effect on stock devices that were running 2.1

Everyone know that rooting a device can cause issues.....

kman79

Reaction score
I'm a total noob with this, but just a thought?

Are you guys able to get to the stock recovery by pressing home and power button?

I was thinking, if you can get the OTA update.zip on the SD Card, are you able to perform "apply sdcard::update.zip"?

Just a thought, excuse my ignorance if this has been thought of already.

kman79

Reaction score
How does one get a SBF?
i have a device that I have to send back becuase of a hardware issue.
Before I box it up I could download the OTA.

Do I need a card, where do I look for it?
How do I download and not install?

Let me know soon becuase I have to get it back so not to see a 500.00 charge on my account.

Hey, would you mind grabbing the update and posting the update.zip for everyone?

You have to download the update but not install it, and it's said to be downloaded to the cache folder, so you have to be rooted to get to it. I guess you can use Root Explorer to navigate to the cache folder and copy it to SD card. Please let me know if you are able to do it, thanks.

n0m0n

Reaction score
How does one get a SBF?
i have a device that I have to send back becuase of a hardware issue.
Before I box it up I could download the OTA.

Do I need a card, where do I look for it?
How do I download and not install?

Let me know soon becuase I have to get it back so not to see a 500.00 charge on my account.

I really don't understand the question you are asking. Type in Google SBF flash and install and you will find answers. I am not at liberty to do so. Sorry.

I thought the SBF downloads to the card or device before installing?
Isn't that how where get the SBF?
If someone directs me I will download it to the phone that I am sending back.
Copy it and we will have the SBF.
Maybe i am wrong about this.
Let me know as soon as possible though.

kman79

Reaction score
I thought the SBF downloads to the card or device before installing?
Isn't that how where get the SBF?
If someone directs me I will download it to the phone that I am sending back.
Copy it and we will have the SBF.
Maybe i am wrong about this.
Let me know as soon as possible though.

I can only tell you what I have read on other forums and posts.

From what I've read, when you select the option to download the update, (DO NOT INSTALL IT) it saves it in the cache folder in your phone. You have to use root explorer or adb to find the cache folder and copy the update to the SD Card.

I was not smart enough to look for it before the update, so I'm unable to describe it any better as to where the exact location of the cache folder is.

If you are able to please, download the update and look for it in your phone and post it, thanks.

Quiverskeep

Reaction score
New X Coming Tomorrow

Well.. my new DX comes tomorrow. Went to Verizon..they tried to fix it (same thing here..error code bootloader screen), but he came back to me and said that after extensively talking with Motorola, that there's no fix at this time because the software update is so new and that others (obviously we know that) are having the same issue. He said NOTHING about or asked anything about rooting.

Overnighted me a phone..comes tomorrow free of charge. Yay! I just hope it's not a refurbished one..I asked him if it would be, and he said most likely not since the X's are so new.

HTH..

Ashley

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well.. my new DX comes tomorrow. Went to Verizon..they tried to fix it (same thing here..error code bootloader screen), but he came back to me and said that after extensively talking with Motorola, that there's no fix at this time because the software update is so new and that others (obviously we know that) are having the same issue. He said NOTHING about or asked anything about rooting.

Overnighted me a phone..comes tomorrow free of charge. Yay! I just hope it's not a refurbished one..I asked him if it would be, and he said most likely not since the X's are so new.

HTH..

Ashley

Yep, that's probably what would happen to just about everyone who had a rooted phone and went into a Verizon store saying the update failed. Hang on to your SD card you'll want to switch that with your new phone when you get it.

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
What I find amazing is that there are a few reports of totally stock phones bricking with this update. Moto/Verizon have a headache on their hands as this will reach mainstream news very soon....and I couldn't be happier!!

For those who have bricked your phones, that sucks and hopefully your new phone ships with 2.1.

littlerick

Reaction score
for those who tried to flash 2.1, did you wipe your entire phone first (wipe data, cache, etc)? i'm tempted to try it just to see if it works. worst case i'll go to verizon and get them to reflash 2.2 on my phone

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
Littlerick Verizon does not have a 2.2 SBF to flash to your phone yet.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Ag3nt X

Reaction score
What I find amazing is that there are a few reports of totally stock phones bricking with this update. Moto/Verizon have a headache on their hands as this will reach mainstream news very soon....and I couldn't be happier!!

For those who have bricked your phones, that sucks and hopefully your new phone ships with 2.1.

Stock phones are not being "bricked" they simply need to remove the battery for 1 min, reinstall and reboot and problem is solved.