Froyo OTA bricked phone?

aut0tek

Reaction score
Many of us have had the problem BEFORE the ota. All 2.2 updates cause this on some phones. Not many ppl are researching it. To get the phone to boot, remove battery for 45 secs (Yes, i must be left for quite a while. at least 30) and then put battery back in.

Sometimes it takes more than once.

Again, this has happened to SOME phones since the old 2.2 stuff came out weeks ago.

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
Many of us have had the problem BEFORE the ota. All 2.2 updates cause this on some phones. Not many ppl are researching it. To get the phone to boot, remove battery for 45 secs (Yes, i must be left for quite a while. at least 30) and then put battery back in.

Sometimes it takes more than once.

Again, this has happened to SOME phones since the old 2.2 stuff came out weeks ago.
Pretty sure this isn't what you've seen before. They've actually changed the signature that the HAB will recognize. If you SBF back to a prior build, where the CG's are signed with a key that is now no longer valid (to mbmloader and mbm that aren't replaced by most SBFs) then your phone is very toast as not even your CDT is valid anymore. Easily fixed by flashing the current CG's with the new, valid signatures back on - if you've got them.

kdkinc

Reaction score
Re: errors from above posts...

Could a simple boot into recovery and clear cache help ???Maybe there are some junk files leftover..
:icon_eek::icon_eek:

aut0tek

Reaction score
No, it is:

"Did the ota install of froyo from 2.1 rooted, when rebooting (install was done unattended) phone was left with the motorola M symbol and appeared functional...."

I'm talking about this. You're talking about his 2nd part, which isn't really a MALfunction at all.

aut0tek

Reaction score

Could a simple boot into recovery and clear cache help ???Maybe there are some junk files leftover..

no kdk, trust me, a number of us have tried MANY things... I personally have sbf'ed and retried different methods 9x now, and always get the M logo on boot with 2.2

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
No, it is:

"Did the ota install of froyo from 2.1 rooted, when rebooting (install was done unattended) phone was left with the motorola M symbol and appeared functional...."

I'm talking about this. You're talking about his 2nd part, which isn't really a MALfunction at all.
OK, cool. Yeah, there are two different issues going on here. Some folks just have trouble after the OTA with bootloops and such and clearing cache, battery pull, etc. would probably fix them right up.

For the folks that got adventurous and tried to SBF back to a prior build, they are in trouble at the moment.

aut0tek

Reaction score
No, you must pull battery EVERY boot for the problem he/I have. Trust me. It's EVERY reboot. I know about 6 other ppl with it.

bmwrin1990

Reaction score
No, you must pull battery EVERY boot for the problem he/I have. Trust me. It's EVERY reboot. I know about 6 other ppl with it.
dude what are you talking about??
like the guy said before, we have 2 different things going on here...
the original issue what the phone staying in bootloader after trying to SBF the phone after the official OTA...

aut0tek

Reaction score
No, it's definitely not. Here it is one more time, with feeling:

Need some help

Did the ota install of froyo from 2.1 rooted, when rebooting (install was done unattended) phone was left with the motorola M symbol and appeared functional, was able to make a call. Couldnt enter recovery mode, same M and tried to navigate it blindly with no luck (assuming it was entered with M present).

bmwrin1990

Reaction score
No, it's definitely not. Here it is one more time, with feeling:

Need some help

Did the ota install of froyo from 2.1 rooted, when rebooting (install was done unattended) phone was left with the motorola M symbol and appeared functional, was able to make a call. Couldnt enter recovery mode, same M and tried to navigate it blindly with no luck (assuming it was entered with M present).
right...
but at the end of his post he says that he got stuck at bootloader and cant do anything...which is now what we are trying to find out

smg69

Reaction score
2.2 on X

Downloaded the 2.2 on an unrooted X this morning, booted up and no problems so far. dancedroid

kdkinc

Reaction score

no kdk, trust me, a number of us have tried MANY things... I personally have sbf'ed and retried different methods 9x now, and always get the M logo on boot with 2.2

Just read ,Birdman; "don't use SBF 2.1"
you'll be totally screwed.

A warning to those that upgraded to OTA 2.2 - Android Forums

aut0tek

Reaction score
the original issue what the phone staying in bootloader after trying to SBF the phone after the official OTA...

right...
but at the end of his post he says...

...I'm sure you notice your error.

Now, with regards to the SECOND problem, you are probably not going to see a fix for a while, and it will probably be by means of a 2.2 SBF