1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Froyo OTA bricked phone?

Discussion in 'Droid X Tech Support' started by 66racer, Sep 22, 2010.

1. 66racer

66racer New Member

Need some help

Did the ota install of froyo from 2.1 rooted, when rebooting (install was done unattended) phone was left with the motorola M symbol and appeared functional, was able to make a call. Couldnt enter recovery mode, same M and tried to navigate it blindly with no luck (assuming it was entered with M present).

In the past did do to the leaked froyo (1st one) and had the same thing happen but eventually got it to boot. At the time went back to 2.1 through bootloader procedure sbf install. So i tried it again, this time I get error codes after sbf installs and is stuck in boot loader. any help please?

error a5,70,70,001f
  2. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member Premium Member

Do you still have the update zip on your sd card? Some people were having issues doing the over the air with that still on the sd card.
  3. ig88b1

ig88b1 New Member

Im having the same issue. the bootloader says MEM_MAP blank, with error codes a5,70,70,00,1f. I removed the SD card completely.
  4. Sydman

I think SBF is in yalls near future.
  5. ig88b1

ig88b1 New Member

I restored from SBF, thats what started it.
  6. 66racer

66racer New Member

I cant recall if the update was in, but I tried the sbf recovery with it removed after the fail and no change. This has worked before a few times when playing with the first froyo leak, Im guessing something changed on the OTA version that doesnt allow sbf recovery? My bootloader says 30.03 also

note: on win7 32bit, made sure to use admin rights too
  7. 66racer

66racer New Member

exacally, after the M symbol failure i did sbf recovery and it got even worse with the described problem. Now i dont know if i should go to a verizon store and have them void warranty even though the OTA failure prompted me to do it
  8. ig88b1

ig88b1 New Member

Not sure, it seems like the OTA changed something so we can't go back to 2.1.
  9. 66racer

66racer New Member

agree, im sure someone will figure it out soon but till then will suck without a phone. I work on the go....

gonna go to verizon since their ota started it, worst case i fix with the help of the guy that figures this out or pay thr $50 for my aftermarket insurance on this and get it replaced
  10. bmwrin1990

bmwrin1990 New Member

im having the exact same issue...gonna go to verizon tomorrow and hopefully figure it out
  11. Sydman

Oh yeah I see, SBF should come first then upgrade OTA.
  12. bmwrin1990

bmwrin1990 New Member

to me, it seems like the phone was flashed but didnt restore the software, so it has nothing to boot...
    so hoping that vzw will have something that can reload the software...other than that, i think the phone is screwed
  13. djjsin

djjsin New Member

I'm having this same exact issue. man this blows.
  14. Phoxus

Phoxus New Member

Until further investigation I Highly recommend not flashing the 2.1 SBF if you've updated to the official over the air 2.2 for the Droid X.

Heed the warning.
  15. MotoCache1

MotoCache1 Chief Droid Scientist

If someone has been clever enough to save off a copy of the OTA that will help clean this up. It's not a big deal, but having a copy of the OTA will help. I'm sure the VZW stores have an SBF of the current build and can get you back up and running. If you have the OTA file, PM me where to get it and I'll take a look at it. My DX won't receive the OTA, so I won't get it OTA.

You guys have probably already figured this out, but they changed the signatures in everything from mbmloader forward. All your old code groups are useless now for going backwards. They were serious about this. Kudos to them for a clever chess move.
  16. aut0tek

aut0tek New Member

Many of us have had the problem BEFORE the ota. All 2.2 updates cause this on some phones. Not many ppl are researching it. To get the phone to boot, remove battery for 45 secs (Yes, i must be left for quite a while. at least 30) and then put battery back in.

Sometimes it takes more than once.

Again, this has happened to SOME phones since the old 2.2 stuff came out weeks ago.
  17. MotoCache1

MotoCache1 Chief Droid Scientist

Pretty sure this isn't what you've seen before. They've actually changed the signature that the HAB will recognize. If you SBF back to a prior build, where the CG's are signed with a key that is now no longer valid (to mbmloader and mbm that aren't replaced by most SBFs) then your phone is very toast as not even your CDT is valid anymore. Easily fixed by flashing the current CG's with the new, valid signatures back on - if you've got them.
  18. kdkinc

kdkinc New Member

Re: errors from above posts...

Could a simple boot into recovery and clear cache help ???Maybe there are some junk files leftover..
    :icon_eek::icon_eek:
  19. aut0tek

aut0tek New Member

No, it is:

"Did the ota install of froyo from 2.1 rooted, when rebooting (install was done unattended) phone was left with the motorola M symbol and appeared functional...."

I'm talking about this. You're talking about his 2nd part, which isn't really a MALfunction at all.
  20. aut0tek

aut0tek New Member

no kdk, trust me, a number of us have tried MANY things... I personally have sbf'ed and retried different methods 9x now, and always get the M logo on boot with 2.2
Search tags for this page
a5,70,70,001f
bootloader 30.04 err a5 70 70 1f mem map blank
droid 2 boot err a5 70 d2.37 battery low
droid pro mem map blank

droid x err:a5,70,70,001f

mb810 bootloader 27.01
mem map recovery mode
motorola droid x err a5,70,70,001f new map blank
motorola mb810 error a5.70.00.00.23
my droid2 global says new map blank