Froyo OTA bricked phone?

zsld0423

Reaction score
Droid X Bricked after trying to SBF 2.1

Yeah, I tried to sbf back to 2.1. stupid me lol. BUT. after i got stuck on the bootloader screen, I just went into Verizon. I told them that i recently updated to 2.2, and that it was stuck on the Motorola boot screen loop. The Verizon rep took the phone and went to his boss, and told her and he came back, sat down, and told me a new phone would be shipped to me in 2 days!

If you do decide to go into Verizon, ONLY say that you tried updating to 2.2 and got stuck on the boot loop. Don't mention anything about sbf, or flashing. I mean, I doubt the people in my store even knew what that meant, but it doesn't hurt to be careful. You never know what those people could be hiding.

But that's just some friendly info for people who have bricked their phone, don't be afraid to go into the Verizon store! I was nervous as hell that they'd know i messed with it, but they didn't ask anything about it. Good luck to everyone and fixing their Droid X's!

MAD450r

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
mad450r.spaces.live.com
guys that think there phone is bricked

I had the same issue 3 of mine in row
I finally broke down and used the sbf thats floating around [dont ask me for it its out there].
ok here's how I saved mine. I have had rsdlite 4.7 with hack, now there is 4.8 no need for hack. but anyways you need both the rsd setup and the sbf file on your pc.
Now on the phone when the phone is powered off hold search button and volume up and dont leg go of them till you see the bootloader [black screen with almost no writing on it]. once here open rsdlite on your pc it should see your device in the list as port #1 [you can click show devices on top right if you are not sure]. Once it sees your phone then point rsdlite to the sbf file then click start. Now dont touch your phone till its booted up.
Now that it booted up now login to your google account but dont open the market yet. I didn't anyways. Then I clicked menu button and went into settings/about phone then click system updates and let it do its thing. It then d/l'd and installed 2.2 OTA for me properly.

Hope thi helps some of you cause I had the same issue on 3 phones in row cause I was told not to run the sbf file on 2.2. I was mislead on this. If you never did get the OTA 2.2 to bootup this method will work to restore you phone.

NOW IF YOU DID GET 2.2 TO BOOT UP ON YOUR PHONE BEFORE
Do not run the 2.1 sbf file that is floating around. Thats what I was mislead on it it only wont work after you have the OTA 2.2 installed.

Greg3141592

Reaction score
I tried to go back to 2.1 after the 2.2 update, and I want to try to return my Droid X to the Verizon store. But i am worried about what personal information could still be on it. I removed and reformatted the sdcard to make sure i removed everything there. I am mostly worried about some personal pictures and videos that i'd rather no one else see. :icon_eek:

tl;dr
Could some personal (videos, etc.) stuff still be on the hard drive of the phone?

chinton

Reaction score
I tried to go back to 2.1 after the 2.2 update, and I want to try to return my Droid X to the Verizon store. But i am worried about what personal information could still be on it. I removed and reformatted the sdcard to make sure i removed everything there. I am mostly worried about some personal pictures and videos that i'd rather no one else see. :icon_eek:

tl;dr
Could some personal (videos, etc.) stuff still be on the hard drive of the phone?

That data is stored on the card. If you are going in for a replacement you will keep your sdcard when the new phone arrives. Are you currently bricked? I heard that the full sbf made it out the other day....

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score

tl;dr

If they send you a DX in the box with all the goodies I would keep the new SD card. If you formatted the old one already.

FYI. It would be a good idea to unroot the phone before sending it back to them. Putting back all the bloatware is also a good idea. And unroot before doing the next step.

When the new phone comes, wipe the old one. Power down and power back up holding power button and the home button. You only have to hold it until the /\/\ comes up, trust me I've tried. When the lil' droid with the triangle comes up hit the search button. Do a system to factory wipe of data/cache and BAM!!! After its done wiping your phone reboot but don't reactivate. Just shut it back down, box it up and send it back.

I'm not responsible for you phone. This is just my opinion:)