Froyo OTA bricked phone?

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
Yea Moto thought changing the keys was a good idea and now they are going to have to deal with a consumer and media backlash. I hope they get raked over the coals.

I can just imagine Moto blaming people for using their phones and they were to hot for the update. See now they would not be in this position if they just produced phones without encryption like HTC/Samsung and then trying to tighten security again. Really not smart at all on their part and I can't believe for one second that these issues never came up when they were testing the update.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Why do you think it took them so long to get the update released? Just stop and think about that for a few minutes.

Think about what, Moto has never delivered an update on time for any Android phone. Plain and simple this update was not ready for release, they did it because they promised it would be out before Summers end. They should have been more interested in releasing a great Froyo user experience for their customers and Verizon then concerning themselves with more security measures.....they even admitted months ago the modding community was such a small part of their sales they were not concerned with producing phones for them. This proves they are very concerned about the modding community but neglected their entire user base by botching an update they have had since June to produce for the Droid X.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
They did not botch any update. You rooted your phone, they released an update that changed the bootloader, and you tried to revert back to an old version. In fact I'm pretty sure motorola warned that there is no upgrade path from the leaked froyo to the ota. People need to stop blaming corporations for things they caused themselves...just saying...

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
Is this directed at me? I am rooted/2.3.1.5/Tranquility and find no reason to ever get an OTA from Moto. I'll be running the AOSP Obsidian Rom soon enough.

And if you have been following the various forums there are stock DroidX phones being bricked by this update, who should we blame for that? Then there are the people who did the update after using the 2.1 sbf and should upgrade fine, most seemed too but again some aren't. Then these people use the only method they know of to get their phones back(the 2.1 sbf) and it bricks their phone...this is the SAME THING Verizon seems to be doing for these people so Moto has not issued a correct way to rescue ANY phones. If Moto didn't F*CK with the bootloader keys this probably would not be happening, if the first 2.2 flash didn't work you/Verizon could sbf back to 2.1 and try again.

So PLEASE don't defend Moto, they caused this and I hope this really causes them some problems.

They did not botch any update. You rooted your phone, they released an update that changed the bootloader, and you tried to revert back to an old version. In fact I'm pretty sure motorola warned that there is no upgrade path from the leaked froyo to the ota. People need to stop blaming corporations for things they caused themselves...just saying...

OP

66racer

Reaction score
Is this directed at me? I am rooted/2.3.1.5/Tranquility and find no reason to ever get an OTA from Moto. I'll be running the AOSP Obsidian Rom soon enough.

And if you have been following the various forums there are stock DroidX phones being bricked by this update, who should we blame for that? Then there are the people who did the update after using the 2.1 sbf and should upgrade fine, most seemed too but again some aren't. Then these people use the only method they know of to get their phones back(the 2.1 sbf) and it bricks their phone...this is the SAME THING Verizon seems to be doing for these people so Moto has not issued a correct way to rescue ANY phones. If Moto didn't F*CK with the bootloader keys this probably would not be happening, if the first 2.2 flash didn't work you/Verizon could sbf back to 2.1 and try again.

So PLEASE don't defend Moto, they caused this and I hope this really causes them some problems.

They sure did cause it and now it cost them a phone getting sent back, Verizon is replacing my phone since they dont have a fix out yet, i bet the mod community will have a fix before they do, if i get a new phone i will keep and if its refurb i may just wait for the fix online. What sucks is its getting shipped since ALL local stores are out of stock here and a 2 day delay

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
66Racer did you or Verizon try the 2.1sbf? Birdman tweeted he will have a fix out tonight as long as the 2.1sbf wasn't used.

ViperPoison

Reaction score
My phone is completely stock and is stuck at the boot screen after 2.2 update as well. I pulled the battery for 5 minutes with no luck. Bummer. I really liked the phone before now.

OP

66racer

Reaction score
66Racer did you or Verizon try the 2.1sbf? Birdman tweeted he will have a fix out tonight as long as the 2.1sbf wasn't used.

unfortunatly i did, that was the first night it came out before anyone had knowledge of the problem it would cause, from what the tech said she tried it too when she went to the back but it didnt even recognise on her computer, i think they have lesser software or something though because rsd lite sees it at my 2 computers. I had a low battery by this point but they tried a new battery too. I honestly felt the tech knew less than i did and thats not saying much since this is my first android lol

Dom

Reaction score
Same issue, Another Person Here.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Bootloader
Err: A5,70,70,00,00

Mem_Map Blank
Service Req'd
Low Battery
Cannot Program
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2010-09-22_11-04-50_375.jpg

Still with bootloader 30.03 did not downgrade to 27.01.

n0m0n

Reaction score
If someone has been clever enough to save off a copy of the OTA that will help clean this up. It's not a big deal, but having a copy of the OTA will help. I'm sure the VZW stores have an SBF of the current build and can get you back up and running. If you have the OTA file, PM me where to get it and I'll take a look at it. My DX won't receive the OTA, so I won't get it OTA.

You guys have probably already figured this out, but they changed the signatures in everything from mbmloader forward. All your old code groups are useless now for going backwards. They were serious about this. Kudos to them for a clever chess move.

I have a 2.1.1 stock device I need to ship back today.
Before I do can you tell me what I need to do to get the OTA file?

The device I am shipping is not rooted, and never was.
This one is though and on the leaked 2.2, with 2.3.15, so I have yet to do anything other then the leaked.

Let me know ASAP because I have to box the return up.

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
You would need to dl the OTA but not install it. It should be stored on the cache folder not the sd card. You will them need to copy it to your sd card and then transfer it to your computer before returning your phone. You will need to use Root Explorer or adb to do this.

n0m0n

Reaction score
You would need to dl the OTA but not install it. It should be stored on the cache folder not the sd card. You will them need to copy it to your sd card and then transfer it to your computer before returning your phone. You will need to use Root Explorer or adb to do this.

There are 267 files.
Is that right?
I downloaded via root explorer copied all the files from within the cache folder to a folder I created on my SDCard.
Moved that folder to my PC.

267???
Shouldn't there be 1 file?

Now I am clueless to most of this and hobble when rooting or making some of these changes as you guys fly so bare with me on the elementary question PLEASE.

Do I do anything to make them 1 file?
Am I wrong to think that this is a SBF file or what?

Thanks

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
Sounds like the right files. I tweeted to P3, Birdmann and a couple others that you have this file, I am sure one of them will contact you soon. I see you are on MDW as well so you can contact P3 via PM.

There are 267 files.
Is that right?
I downloaded via root explorer copied all the files from within the cache folder to a folder I created on my SDCard.
Moved that folder to my PC.

267???
Shouldn't there be 1 file?

Now I am clueless to most of this and hobble when rooting or making some of these changes as you guys fly so bare with me on the elementary question PLEASE.

Do I do anything to make them 1 file?
Am I wrong to think that this is a SBF file or what?

Thanks