1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Friendly Reminder to all members

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by cereal killer, Feb 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

Since the release of the Motorola Droid this forum has experienced rapid growth in regards to the amount of registered users.

I'd just like to ask all the members here to please remember to be considerate when you come across a member who has asked a question or posts a thread that has been asked a few times already.

Before posting "use the search function this has been asked already" just simply ignore it or provide a link with a friendly reminder to use the search function. Most of us have been around forums long enough to know this will ALWAYS happen. Whether it's right or wrong is irrelevant. It's just part of the forum culture so to speak.

Personally I want these forums, that you all have helped to create, to not go the way of other forums where a newbie is chastised for not using the search function. They will learn and there is no use in making them feel unwelcome or awkward because they made an obvious mistake.

Lets remain tolerant of others and set a precedent for those that come after us.

With that said I want to personally thank you all for making this place what it is today. This has been one of the best forum experiences for me and it's all because of you, the members.

Thanks everyone.

mslaceyrose likes this.
  2. jasonb

jasonb New Member

amen......
  3. Laramie

Laramie New Member

Good on ya CK...
  4. hondabomdc5

hondabomdc5 New Member

agreed....
  5. snowman

snowman New Member

Most of Us including me are always learning , and I for one am very willing to help if I can , ask away thats why were here

and most of all yes be nice, or maybe just don't respond
  6. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

+1 and agreed. well said buddy.
  7. Wuzz Ranger

Wuzz Ranger New Member

Epic win!!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. rebornlaxer

rebornlaxer New Member

A lot of times when I use the search bar it comes up with no results.
    Idk what im doing wrong.
  9. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

stickied for a few days ;)
  10. Wuzz Ranger

Wuzz Ranger New Member

Try modifying your searches a bit.

To short of a descriptive word will result in zero searches. To long of a descriptive word may bring in to many searches...then you have to sift through them all. Play around with the words,,,,hope this helps
  11. lockman

lockman New Member

As much fun as n00b fisting can be, I agree completely. This forum doesn't need it.
  12. christim

christim Super Moderator

Search for it! [​IMG]

That happens for me sometimes too. Sometimes changing words for other ones helps. Maybe we could have a temporary thread where folks can post searches that have no results. No idea if its an indexing or set up issue with the board or not but usually I do get results.
  13. cuskit

cuskit New Member

We were all noobies somewhere in our lives. Nice of CK to remind us how well we treated and would like others to feel the same. Well spoken! Mike
  14. jvcerebro

jvcerebro New Member

forum grows as the DROID takes over the world!
  15. droider4life

droider4life New Member

+1 amen!!!!!!!
  16. Corinacakes

Corinacakes Super Moderator Theme Developer

I have the same problem a lot. The work around i use is to type use google and type for example ... droidforums, "black screen" ... i always have great results. when you use quotes around a phrase it doesn't look for each individual word but rather the complete phrase.

I agree with you CK. i get so upset when someone asks a question and the first answer they get is :repost: and no other information. Good job;)
  17. JonKyu

JonKyu New Member

WHATEVEEEEEEER.......I'LL DO WHAT I WANT!!! :icon_evil::icon_evil:

lol j/k :icon_ devil: I really do :heart: droidforums!!! Very pleasant place for Droid Users!!
  18. shademar

shademar New Member

LMGTFO...

Just kidding. :D For the most part, the only reason I post is to try and feel useful or helpful to someone. I also find the search function to be occasionally inefficient (that is, a third of the time I can't find threads and topics I know were discussed unless I remember the exact specific thread title I was reading earlier, and sometimes even that doesn't help.)

When I first started posting, the vast majority of people were asking what widgets to add and what 'home replacements' were. Now it's all about 'what ROM should I use?" and "how do I push the themed .apk?" Yet, the new people still have the same basal knowledge. It's actually easier to have started researching a week after release (before root!) and have been eased into the whole process than it is to be jumping in now, when everyone on the forums is rooting and overclocking and theming and whatnot. Yet, because we've been here for a while, many people have lost their patience for "newb" questions. There's a balance of course...people need to research and be willing to learn, but for the people just starting out, asking questions may be the best way to do this...
  19. christim

christim Super Moderator

If you do a search on Google, without the quotes, like this:
    "site:droidforums.net irc"

it will search only the droidforums.net website for the term IRC
    It may also be possible to add in a Google search to this site as I've seen that on other sites....not necessarily on forums though.
  20. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I know exactly what CK is talking about. I see it happen to members in the Introduction Thread constantly, and more often if a new poster makes the mistake of just posting in a regular forum on their first post.

I don't know when this forum started but The Motorola Droid, the one most of us use has only been around since the start of November. Technically that makes us all n00bs IMHO and we should keep that in mind. I still Google answers all the time for new people because the truth is I don't remember everything off the top of my head.

One other thing I would like to point out is I've noticed people criticizing the mods, saying they are too quick to close a thread. This happened recently with a fairly new person who complained about a 2.1 thread being shut down. That's done to avoid clutter, and the mods here not only do great work, they are quick to get it done and for that I give them credit.

Thanks CK for bringing up this reminder to everyone. We are indeed all here to help each other.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
a friendly reminder to all members
few sentences using word droil
friendly reminder in a sentence
friendly reminder sentences

friendly reminder usage

friendly reminder, usage
how to use reminder in a sentence
just a friendly reminder in a sentence
just as a reminder in a sentence