For those about to root your phones...

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Please, and I can't emphasize this enough, PLEASE read all instructions and research before rooting. If you are not technically adept, I don't recommend this at all. I am seeing a lot of cases of people rooting and flashing ROM's without even knowing how to go to system settings to see what version of the radio they are currently running.

THIS IS A RECIPE FOR DISASTER! Please research things THOROUGHLY and make sure you understand all aspect of rooting before doing anything. Otherwise, you will run a strong risk of bricking your phone and costing yourself a lot of money.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Please, and I can't emphasize this enough, PLEASE read all instructions and research before rooting. If you are not technically adept, I don't recommend this at all. I am seeing a lot of cases of people rooting and flashing ROM's without even knowing how to go to system settings to see what version of the radio they are currently running.

THIS IS A RECIPE FOR DISASTER! Please research things THOROUGHLY and make sure you understand all aspect of rooting before doing anything. Otherwise, you will run a strong risk of bricking your phone and costing yourself a lot of money.

Yep, I'm seeing a lot of people in this forum having rooting issues. Why ruin a good phone? If you're not absolutely sure then don't do it. I'm not sure about the D2 I have and rooting, I'm not even going to attempt it.

pxtang

Reaction score
Would it be possible for someone to make an faq and sticky it? I think that would help a lot of people.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
a lot of people around here see root and like "oohhh i need that" when most users dont

im not trying to discourage anyone from doing it, just please know what you are doing to your phone. were here to help you out but if something goes wrong its your phone you dont have until you get it fixed..

pxtang

Reaction score
Would it be possible for someone to make an faq and sticky it? I think that would help a lot of people.

But who reads those things?? I know I don't :)

Sent from my Droid

Well, I do. For example, I don't even know what a radio is, or if a properly working 2.2 root is available (I've heard both yes and no).

I think it'd be good if things related to root were consolidated in one location.

detacht69

Reaction score
First of all this thread title reminds me of the AC/DC song "FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK"

Anyway, I for one would like to see some tutorial.. or some list of roms including what they do/how well they work

setexascustoms

Reaction score
First of all this thread title reminds me of the AC/DC song "FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK"

Anyway, I for one would like to see some tutorial.. or some list of roms including what they do/how well they work

Also kernels, I did a ton of research before I rooted, and even more before I flashed my first custom ROM. I tried to research kernels as well and had a hard time. I think a sticky on ROMs and kernels, what works well together and what they're geared towards (features, performance, battery life) would be so helpful. Just my two cents :)

knotbeerdan

Reaction score
Just got my incredible and I dont think I am going to have to root it. Its def nothing like the Droid 1

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Coming from the Droid 1, it took me a good 6months to decide to root. Moving onto my new Incredible, don't think i will root

pxtang

Reaction score
Why not? The Droid Incredible one of the most versatile phones once you root.

knotbeerdan

Reaction score
I just recently switched to the incredible and I was thinking the same thing. Now I'm waiting for unrevoked to release an update for their rooting tool so I can at least get rid of the bloatware if nothing else. It runs great but could run a lot better

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just recently switched to the incredible and I was thinking the same thing. Now I'm waiting for unrevoked to release an update for their rooting tool so I can at least get rid of the bloatware if nothing else. It runs great but could run a lot better

I'm waiting on the same thing so I can root my brothers Incredible. They say they have an exploit, just gotta update unrevoked. busy with school and such.