2.3.6 Now has a root method!

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR Hacks' started by smalltowngirl13, Feb 12, 2012.

1. casper05lly

casper05lly Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Rooted with no problem. Did titanium backup. Do I need to do a nandroid backup? I don't plan on flashing any roms

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

2. rvmclaughlin

rvmclaughlin New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    New to rooting.. I have been reading up on it. I got my new Razr the other day and I used Dan Rosenberg's method to root a few days ago. I knew, only because I read it somewhere, that you wouldn't be able to do the system update on a rooted phone. So, what I am reading in the post, just want to confirm, is that since I rooted with Dan's method, I can just hit the system update on my phone and I should be okay? This is the first time I am hearing of the VooDoo app. I guess I should install that. Just seems to simple, what did I over look?
    Thanks

3. casper05lly

casper05lly Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes install voo doo root keeper. Stay on stock rom and don't remove stock apps and you will be able to update. The root keeper will allow u to keep root after update

4. Tsip85

Tsip85 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You mention not to remove stock apps, but I'm interested in rooting my Razr MAXX to get rid of all the bloat ware. Will I still be able to do OTA updates if I root, install VooDoo and remove some of the Verizon junk that I don't want/need? I'm comning from a rooted Droid that I flashed many ROMs on, but I don't really want to alter my Razr yet, just get rid of stuff to free up memory and possibly speed it up a tad or save a little battery life.

5. casper05lly

casper05lly Member

Ratings:
    +0
    U can root, but from what I understand u can't remove bloat ware. Think u can freeze apps but remove

6. Tsip85

Tsip85 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Even through root explorer, I can't remove apps I don't want? I already have Root Explorer installed, but I can't do anything with it besides view the files because I'm not yet rooted.

7. casper05lly

casper05lly Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. If the bloat ware is not there it will not allow it to update. Even if u freeze the bloat ware it has to be unfrozen to get update

8. Tsip85

Tsip85 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I gotcha. I can freeze the apps w/ TiBackup, and un-freeze if/when I want to update. I just picked up the phone today and immediately ran the update for 2.3.6, but there are so many apps I'm used to having w/ my Droid that I just have to root this thing. I figure freezing apps is good enough just to keep them from running as I doubt I'll come close to using 24GB of memory. But I still can't believe that all the system apps and bloatware take up 8 Gigs!!

9. casper05lly

casper05lly Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ya. I rooted to change font and screen shot app

10. Tsip85

Tsip85 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    B/C I'm new to this phone, and it's been a really long time since I rooted, you think you could PM me steps to do it? I read the link in the first post and it seemed a little vague. Also, do I need to install new drivers, or would the Motorola drivers i used to root my Droid be ok? I registerred for the Razr site linked to in another post, but I haven't received an email to activate the account so i can't see the drivers link or any of the other ones.

11. smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13 Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,027
    Current Phone Model:
    Z Force 2
    Twitter:
    smalltownlife13
    Tsip - you will most likely need the new drivers (they can be found in the OP of this thread http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-hacks/198379-updated-droid-razr-utility-windows.html )...

Once you download the root exploit, extract / open and plug your phone in via USB - make sure that USB debugging is enabled and you are in "charge only" mode...run the program (root exploit) - phone should reboot a couple of times thru the process...once completed, safely disconnect and you should be rooted.

12. Tsip85

Tsip85 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Always nice to reboot and see "Superuser" in the app drawer! thanks for your help...that was the easiest root I've ever used! Thanks to the OP for the link and a huge thanks to the developer!

Search tags for this page
droid charge root 2.3.6
how to manually root android 2.3.6
how to root 2.3.6
how to root android 2.3.6 no computer

how to root droid charge 2.3.6

how to root droid razr 2.3.6 without computer
how to root samsung charge 2.3.6
root for android 2.3.6

root lgl35g without computer

rooting droid charge 2.3.6